I bought a modern coin ...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Oct 24, 2020.

1. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Trés, trés cool. ...With, can we wax British, and say, the 'correct' budget, this kind of stuff could be rrrReeally habit forming.
    Same with contemporaneous French jetons, and, why lie, Conder tokens. Along with the Monneron issues in revolutionary France. In the absence of the more formal conventions of official issues, the visual information is kind of all over the map.

DonnaML likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

It can! Again, I once had all the official British coronation medals in silver for the monarchs (and, when issued, their queen consorts), from James I (the first) through George VI (the last). I sold the earlier, more valuable ones, but kept most of the ones from William & Mary going forward, because I was too fond of them to be able to bear parting with them for the prices -- about 30 cents on the dollar -- that I was offered by Stack's Bowers. I needed the money too badly to wait for any of my coins and medals to be auctioned off, and ended up with a grand total of only about $45,000 for what could probably have been sold at auction -- and perhaps was; I couldn't bring myself to check! -- for well over twice that much. Minus seller's fees, of course.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  4. Only a Poor Old Man

Only a Poor Old Man Well-Known Member

Must have been devastating to part with such an interesting collection that undoubtedly took you years to amass...

+VGO.DVCKS and DonnaML like this.
  5. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Oh, it was. More than 30 years collecting pretty much down the drain.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted