I bought a group lot

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Carausius, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

But why?? I almost never buy group lots. There have been times that I wished I had bought group lots (some of the A.K. lots come to mind). Recently, I pre-bid and won this small group of Diocletian and Maximian coins. Upon receipt of the group, I was sirprised by the number of tags included with each coin - all were ex Chris Rudd Collection and all included prior provenance info. Two of the coins will likely be sold or traded; the third will certainly be kept and was my target for bidding in the first place. Can you guess which coin will be kept and why?

3333584l-1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I do not know why you aimed at the coin you did, but my choice would be the Diocletian in the centre. I love the reverse on that coin.

Here is the only group lot I have ever bought.

Anglo gallic lot.jpg
    BRITISH COINS, Anglo-Gallic Coins, Richard I, Deniers for Poitou (2), no extra marks, 1.04g/1h, annulet in third quarter, 1.09g/5h (Elias 8, 8b; W 343; S 8008); Eleanor, Denier, Aquitaine, 0.69g/12h (E 11; W 9; S 8011); Edward I, Deniers (2), as heir to the throne, 0.92g/10h, as King, 0.88g/3h (E 13, 15; W 11, 13; S 8013, 8015) [5].Fine or better, last rare.
    Coins and historical medals from the collection formed by the late Revd. Charles Campbell.
    Dix Noonan Webb Online Auction September 13, 2017 Lot 163

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Both stunning group lots, and very appealing in how well matched they are.

@Carausius - I love your avatar picture, too, though one has to click to the full size to appreciate it.

Carausius likes this.
  5. KIWITI

KIWITI Well-Known Member

You will keep Diocletian in the middle, since it was struck by Carausius!

6. Carausius

We have a winner!! Well done @KIWITI. The center coin is a London Mint antoninianus struck in the name of Diocletion by Carausius. AVGGG (triple plural) in the reverse inscription alludes to three equal emperors - Diocletion, Maximian and Carausius. This is a nice condition example, with full legends, clear London mint mark and decent surfaces. The provenance was an added bonus that I didn't expect. Carausius struck similar coins in the name of Maximian. Of course, the coin was described as a Diocletion in the sales catalogue. :(

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

So I guess carausius was trying to curry favor with Diocletian and maximian. A strategy that didn't really work.

Carausius likes this.
  8. KIWITI

KIWITI Well-Known Member

Really nice addition. I still owe myself one of these. Congrats!

Carausius likes this.
  9. Carausius

I suspect the goals of the emission were two-fold: curry favor with the big boys by acknowledging their positions, and legitimize his own usurped position to the populace by lumping himself with the big boys via the third G in AVGGG.

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  10. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Nice lot and interesting AVGGG.
    Have you received your lot? My lot from Chris Rudd is waiting for an export license (at least according to the web site).

Carausius likes this.
  11. Carausius

Yes, I received my coins. Nothing in my lot is likely subject to any export controls. I didnt buy from Chris Rudd. I bought at auction from another firm.

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Considering the number of times jamesicus and I have posted on this series, it saddens me a bit that not everyone got it but I really applaud your recognizing a great coin where a dealer didn't. Of course I'd keep the other two also because they are a bit special also. What this really shows IMHO is that someone between Chris Rudd and you made a poor choice in selecting a dealer to handle their sale. I assume it is one of those sellers who considers all coins after Domitian to be trash.
    Others:
    rt3450b00906lg.JPG rt3485bb3048.jpg ru3200fd2910.jpg

13. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

My lot of Pb weights was from an auction house, ex CR. I posted it earlier, but here it is again. I am not sure why this lot needed a license. The paperwork called it a Medieval Weight Group, found in Downham Market, Norfolk, exact findspot unknown. The bottom of the form notes the application is under European Union Legislation. I guess the form has not changed since Brexit.
    Pb weights from Chris Rudd collection timeline sept 2017.jpg

14. Carausius

To be honest, I have yet to research the other two coins in the lot. I certainly will research them before any final decision is made as to their fate!

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  15. Carausius

Interesting. I know they would not be covered by PAS (Portable Antiquities Scheme) because they're lead. PAS only applies to silver and gold. I was not aware of any EU legislation that requires an export license from U.K.

16. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

Here is mine: Carausius.JPG

17. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Curtisimo and Carausius like this.
  18. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

That Carausius-for-Diocletian is a great score for a group lot!

Curtisimo and Carausius like this.
  19. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

A couple of group lots I'm working through currently:

LRBC bulk lot .jpg Gallienus bulk lot.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted