Featured I bought a "coin" with a very dark history . . . . . . .

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ZoidMeister, Nov 6, 2020.

1. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

When I visited the cathedral I had ridden in by train from Amsterdam, you can literally see the cathedral from many many miles before you get into the city and it is just amazing how the towers dominate the skyline. The train station is a close walk to the cathedral, which was a good thing because I got there in a driving rain. Incredibly for being in the centre of a large German city the cathedral only got minimal damage in WWII. When you are close to the cathedral, particularly in front, it is difficult to get a photograph of the whole of the façade as many newer commercial buildings have been built up around it.

I purchased a very large print of the cathedral which dominates the wall of my dining room to this day.

lordmarcovan, ZoidMeister and calcol like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Nice medal!

I've got some medieval coins showing the early building stages of Cologne cathedral. Based on a comparison of the architectural reverses and reconstructed plans of the medieval cathedral (see here for details), I'm relatively convinced that at least the first coin doesn't only show a generic church building but specifically Cologne cathedral:

MA – Deutschland etc., Köln, Rainald von Dassel, Bischof und Gebäude mit Sarkophagen, Obol.png
    Archbishopric of Cologne, under Rainald von Dassel, AR obol, ca. 1159–1167. Obv: Bishop facing, holding crosier and book. Rev: church building with three towers, inside, three sarcophagi (?). 14 mm, 0.53g. Ref: Hävernick 498.

MA – Deutschland etc., Köln, Heinrich von Molenark, Bischof und Heiliger, Pfennig.png
    Archbishopric of Cologne, under Heinrich I von Molenark, AR pfennig, ca. 1225–1237 Obv: [+ HENRICS A]RCIEPC; bishop facing, wearing mitre, holding crosier and book. Rev: [+SAN]CTA [C]OLO[NIA]; bust of saint holding two cross flags in front of church building. 18 mm, 1.24gg. Ref: Hävernick 547.

calcol and ZoidMeister like this.
  4. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

Thanks for the tip. I didn't even know they issued passport cards too.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I agree its a cool piece, but I would not assume it was made for spying. These were made this way centuries before to keep drawings of loved ones, etc in them. Such items are a lot like women's lockets with pictures in them.

ZoidMeister and Orielensis like this.
  6. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

ZoidMeister and spirityoda like this.
  7. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

ZoidMeister and spirityoda like this.
  8. goossen

goossen Senior Member

Nice to see your post featured. And very cool “coin” of course.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  9. Rich Buck

Rich Buck Yukon Cornelius

How cool is that? Very cool indeed.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  10. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

This appears to be a throwback to the much older box thaler tradition. (The German Schraubtaler = "screw thaler".) I'd take any tales of Cold War espionage with the proverbial grain of salt, though I suppose such intrigues were certainly possible. Regardless, it's a cool piece, and quite handsome.

ZoidMeister likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted