i bought 9 1oz silver bullion wholesalesaledirect brand silver coins?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by CoinAlbum1704, May 10, 2015.

1. CoinAlbum1704

CoinAlbum1704 Member

i paid there retail like 18 a coin shipping.

is there a return on silver could i walk into a coin shop and get 16 so dollars for each coin take a slight loss. is this how this game works cause if so im done with paper money . and im going to keep up this game . also if i have say 500 i only shop at apmex and wholesalecoins direct right now cause there the only sites i can find . but anyone know a rare coin i can search for with my 500 dollars silver or gold that would return than say buying such as many bullions with the 500 dollars? thanks in advance wanna be part of the community for a long time and have quite a big collection some day.

maybe a big gold bar or something would be cool to have. im not sure how it works buying in bulk if they'd give me a discount or not but pms or suggestions are appreciated i got 160 in paypal money to spend for silver and another 120 or something in credit card.

KoinJester likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Most large online bullion dealers quote "buy" prices somewhere on their website. Apmex does, and although it requires a lot of clicks and is unnecessarily complicated, you can get current quotes for MANY items; they change every day, of course. Plus you'll have postage costs, and for certain-sized transactions, the sale will generate a 1099, a copy of which goes to the IRS.

For Apmex, see http://www.apmex.com/apmextop40

Most coin shops will quote a buy price for 90% over the phone. On the other hand, if you try to "trade" bullion, you will end up losing money, I almost guarantee.

I never plan to sell the bullion I've bought -- it goes straight to my dear but clueless heirs, along with 3 pages of instructions of WHAT TO DO, and even more critically, what NOT to do.

P.S., don't buy bullion with a credit card unless you plan to pay if off in full the following month. A big chunk of your potential profit (if any) goes to pay credit card interest, still at astronomical rates, in my opinion.

spirityoda, Garlicus and Mikey Zee like this.
  4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'm not really sure what you're asking here, but it sounds like you're asking whether there's a rare coin that would let you make more of a profit than buying plain bullion.

There are a couple of main points here.

First, the only way to guarantee a profit is to buy for less and sell for more. Coin shops and bullion dealers need to make a profit to stay in business. So, the amount they'll pay you -- for a coin, for bullion, whatever -- will always be less than the amount they'll charge you for that same coin or bullion. This is often called the "buy/sell spread". It can be small, 5% or less, for bullion; for coins, it can be quite large, up to 30% or more.

It looks like you're on the wrong side of this deal! You'd like to make a profit, rather than take a loss. (It's not that simple, of course; you don't have to pay upkeep on a shop, pay employees, advertise, and so forth.) How can you make a profit?

You can buy gold or silver and wait for their prices to go up. Sometimes (2010-2011), this works great. Sometimes (2011-today), it doesn't work very well at all.

You can buy rare coins and wait for their prices to go up. Sometimes this works great, sometimes it doesn't. Many people say "quality rare coins always go up in value". This is not true. Some coins, during some intervals, go down in value. Most coins, over most intervals, go up in value -- but usually not enough to keep up with inflation, and rarely enough to keep ahead of a return-bearing investment like stocks or real estate.

As @doug5353 hinted, the first step in getting ahead is to make sure that you aren't paying credit card interest. There aren't many no-brainer investments in coin collecting -- but paying off a credit-card balance that's incurring 15%, 20%, or 30% interest charges per year is truly a no-brainer.

Garlicus and Mikey Zee like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted