I believe this is a counterfeit

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by rooman9, Sep 7, 2016.

1. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Looks weird to me too. The side with the king doesn't look right. And the seller says "coin or token." Sounds like they're trying to cover their butt in case the buyer accuses them of selling a fake.

rooman9 likes this.
  4. rooman9

I agree. I just feel like they're trying to hide something.

5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I'd guess it's cleaned and badly photographed. Could be fake, but I'm not sure.

Edit: I checked it out using diagnostics from this page and it looked good. I didn't count the rim beads, but the alignment looks fine, and the date numerals look good, too.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Dates off. Doesn't look genuine nor would I expect a genuine one to be sold with a listing like that.

7. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Anybody asking the best part of $50 to ship a 5 gram coin is a seller I'd avoid under any circumstances.

Stevearino likes this.
  8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The seller wants $9.99 for US domestic shipping. Still a lot but not quite that bad. ;)

9. Hiddendragon

For those who don't collect the series, you should know this is a very rare coin which my Krause lists at $1,300 in F. So for that coin you'd expect more than a three-word description in the listing, and there is every reason to suspect a fake.

chrisild and Paul M. like this.
  10. Sullykerry2

Sullykerry2 Humble Collector Willing to Learn

I would recommend that you look at the other items this E-Bay seller has marketed. I think you can conclude that the Australian half penny is one of several "knock-offs".

Paul M. likes this.
  11. rooman9

I agree with what everyone has said. His other listings and description sent up enough red flags to stop a NASCAR race.

12. Hiddendragon

If you look at his completed listings he's sold two other 1923 Australian half pennies. What a lucky guy!

rooman9 likes this.
  13. rooman9

Totally missed that. And the other one is a pretty bad fake.

Draft saved Draft deleted