I believe I just got lucky!!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Chmcc7777, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Chmcc7777

Chmcc7777 New Member

I just found a coin I had for a couple years now and something told me to g IMG_20190817_081626.jpg IMG_20190817_081626.jpg IMG_20190817_081624.jpg o through my wheat Penny's with a fine toothe comb and I did and I found a 1958dd obverse. It's very subtle but it's there!!!:) I don't have a clue what to do with it. Someone help me please

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Wexler lists a DD for 1958, which shows true doubling. I don't see anything on yours. Please compare yours with the photos in the link:
    https://doubleddie.com/365001.html

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Sorry but it's not a doubled die.

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not seeing any signs of a Doubled Die. Welcome to CT.

6. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Geez, I clicked on this because I thought you found my dog, Lucky. I guess he isn't!

Also, your coin is not doubled.

7. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

I see, what appears to me, to be machine doubling.

8. Chmcc7777

Chmcc7777 New Member

If you look a little harder it's there E in liberty and R and in the N I said it's very subtle but it is doubling I'm no rookie please have a sec and closer look my pics. May not be good enough
    Thank you for your opinion I really hope your wrong but the luck I have your probably right

9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The photos by Wexler show very prominent doubling.
    Your coin does not exhibit this. If you have to look closer to see something,
    it's probably not true doubling.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  10. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

@Chmcc7777,...a few things to note:

First, anytime you are looking for help & posting pics, always post the obverse & the reverse...always. (For example, sometimes there are markers on the opposite side which will help establish the credibility of the coin - like in the Wexler example).

Next, the Phila. Mint alone made more than 253 million & certainly wore out some dies.

Next, your coin, although it is in nice condition, was circulated & took some hits, like at the E & N.

After 61 yrs. and all the people who have been looking, if another variety was out there, it would have been discovered by now.

Michael provided an excellent link.

If your coin shows any doubling (& I don't see any) then it is most likely machine or die deterioration (read: worthless) doubling.

Still, a nice specimen. Regardless of your experience level, there's always room for more knowledge.

11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Spend it

Peace :angelic:

12. Chmcc7777

Chmcc7777 New Member

Thanks for your feedback and I'm always willing to learn because I'm nowhere near knowing it all and good luck on your hunt

PlanoSteve likes this.
  13. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

If you think you got lucky, then you did not. Think back to when you were a teenager, you KNEW if you got lucky...:)

Draft saved Draft deleted