I am studying abroad!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TypeCoin971793, Sep 10, 2017.

1. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

As some/many of you may know, I will be spending the next semester at Georgia Tech's campus in France. I've been selling off my collection to help funding. I only recently got a solid confirmation of my acceptance into the program, so I am getting everything ready for the trip. One of those things is planning which places to go to during the 4 months I will be there. Please give me your suggestions and I will keep them in mind.

Also, if anyone on the other side of the pond wants to meet up (already have preliminary plans with @AnYangMan), I would be happy to try to incorporate it into my schedule. Perhaps visiting a numismatic collection in a museum or some ruins of the ancient world?

All in all, I am super excited!

To keep it ancient coin related, these two coins will be travelling with me everywhere I go:

IMG_8235.JPG IMG_8236.JPG IMG_8712.JPG IMG_8713.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

What an absolutely wonderful opportunity! I hope you enjoy every single minute. I have visited Europe many times and have only been to a few places more than once (some places like Rome, Florence, Paris, Munich, Amsterdam, Dublin, Brussels, and Lisbon are worth more than one visit). The museums are top notch, not to mention the architecture and amazing food! The good news is that flights within Europe are cheap. It is even possible to visit more than one country in a day if you want to.

Most of all, have fun!

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  4. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

When you study abroad there will be academics (whatever you are supposed to be studying) and lot of other, cultural, things. As a professor, I have some advice. First you should know that many colleges abroad have significantly more difficult curricula than American schools, so it would help to study up in advance to not feel lost. (Many study-abroad students are lost in their classes and quit or do poorly.)

But, the reason I am writing is not that. The reason is that you must take every opportunity to do the cultural things, even if it interferes with your classes. Those of us who have studied abroad have experiences we recall that are far more influential than the classes we took. For the rest of your life you can go to parties and say "When I was in France ....". Who cares if the class on [name your subject here] was over your head? Take it again in the US.

Have fun. By the way, when I was in Austria, ....

5. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I don't claim to know the laws in European countries, but please be sure that there is no risk of being arrested for smuggling if you are found to be carrying those two coins while there.

6. TypeCoin971793

Pictures dating prior to my travels (like this thread) would be sufficient proof against smuggling I would think.

But for coins I buy in Europe, I must be especially careful. I plan on buying some Chinese coins from an individual, and all I need is proof that they were exported from China prior to 2009 for them to be legal to import into the US. His collection was formed several years before that, so I should be fine.

I need to read up on Customs declarations, though.

chrisild and AnYangMan like this.
  7. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Congratulations! What city is it in? I'm in the area of Tübingen, Germany. Maybe we could meet up at a show.

ColonialCoin4 and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Congrats on the adventure. I've bopped around Europe a few times and spent a semester abroad in Egypt studying hieroglyphics (Am. University of Cairo) - it was great fun. I enjoyed traveling all around the country in addition to the coursework.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Time will go fast so enjoy every minute of it. What a fantastic opportunity.

10. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

My wife and I are leaving for southern France in less than 2 weeks. Where is Ga. Tech's campus in France?

11. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I hope you have a great semester! I would like to see an aqueduct. They are awesome, I hear.

GT.jpg
    The school has changed a bit since I was there... BChE'76

TypeCoin971793 and Alegandron like this.
  12. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

10 posts in and no jokes about studying "a broad" yet?...

LaCointessa, chrsmat71, Smojo and 5 others like this.
  13. AnYangMan

AnYangMan Well-Known Member

Nice to hear that it has been confirmed with at least a decent degree of certainty! As I have already said, you’re in for a fun semester, with loads of culture, coins, new people, and of course Baguettes (the best bit about France, in my humble opinion). I hope you’ll have a tremendous experience in Metz, but don’t forget to have fun of course ;). I am sure you'll enjoy European culture (if there even is such a thing). I for one can’t wait to meet up. Any idea when you will be in France? I am assuming your second semester, which starts right after Christmas?

I too am not familiar with the laws concerning the import/export of ancient coins. I have travelled with coins in my suitcase, but this was all within Europe, within the Schengen area so to speak. The Chinese coins might be a little more difficult. I completely agree in so far that all of his coin (assuming we speak of the same individual) have been bought before 2009, but how to verifiably prove this to customs? Not quite sure. You might want to contact Bob Reis, for he recently made a trip to the mainland, and brought with him some coins (not sure if any Chinese coins were included), perhaps he knows a little more. Anyway, have fun, and see you soon (hopefully)!

Mika

TypeCoin971793 and GerardV like this.
  14. Dafydd

Dafydd Well-Known Member

If you make the UK visit the British Museum in London but also Bath which has great Roman architecture. 60 minutes from Bath is Caerleon probably one of the best preserved Roman Amphitheatres in Europe. See http://cadw.gov.wales/daysout/caerleonamphitheatre/?lang=en
    This was formed by the Augusta Legion around 75 AD. If you actually make it to Wales I'll meet you there and Lunch is on me.
    If you explore the European rail passes, as a student, travel can be pretty inexpensive and you could consider Rome, besides which you will probably meet more people on a plane than an airplane.
    Travel is a fantastic education. Have fun.

TypeCoin971793, TheRed and Alegandron like this.
  15. Dafydd

Dafydd Well-Known Member

Duh. I meant a train not plane, slip of the keyboard. That's age for you.....

16. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Where in Wales? I lived in LLanbdr-y-Fro for a few years... Rail was behind the Farm along the Ely.

17. TypeCoin971793

Metz in Lorraine

Seattlite86 likes this.
  18. TypeCoin971793

Didn't even cross my mind. :confused:

19. TypeCoin971793

I have not decided just how much time I want to spend doing coin stuff. I plan on buying a little here and there, but I will be taking a bit of a break. I will think about it, though.

20. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Of course. Or if you have a pedigree, proof of purchase etc., take that with you. No idea where in Europe you would be arrested for having those coins, but even missing a flight because of customs issues can be a drag. Have a great time!

Christian

21. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

If you're really worried about it, just ship your coins home.

TypeCoin971793 and Alegandron like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted