I am gifting a London Mint Tetrarchic coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by jamesicus, Sep 18, 2017.

1. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

I do want to be sure it goes to someone who will really appreciate it. In order to determine that I will draw a name from the following list of members of the Forum who posted replies or likes to my thread "Initial coinage of the London Mint re-opened by Constantius" (as of the date of this posting) .

Edit: I can no longer drive and I mail everything from my home using United States postage stamps and I do not have any Customs declaration forms. But, I can use the following procedure for those who do not have a US mailing address: If you can find a relative or close friend who resides in the US who would be willing to re-mail the coin to you, I will mail the coin to the name and address you provide.

@Kirkuleez
    @Ajax
    @randygeki
    @GerardV
    @Bing
    @dlhill132
    @ancient coin hunter
    @RAGNAROK
    @Nyatii
    @Johndakerftw
    @Alegandron

If your user name is on the above list and you are interested in owning the following coin -- please affirm your interest via a post here. I will draw the eligible winning user name on 25 September 2017. I will repeat similar coin gift offerings from time to time as I cull my collection of duplicates.

The coin I am gifting here:

RIC, Volume VI, Londinium, Galerius Maximian, No. 15

Group I, (iii), folles, Class II, c. 300 onward, No. 6-16 - laureate and cuirassed bust -- small head on a tall neck.

R: Genius of the Roman People standing, facing left, head surmounted by a modius, naked except for a chlamys over the left shoulder, holding a patera in the right hand and cradling a cornucopia in the left arm.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    MAXIMIANVS NOB CAES ............ GENIO POPV-LI ROMANI

11.6 gm.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

What a wonderful gesture! Very kind of you.

4. GerardV

GerardV Well-Known Member

@jamesicus thank you, I appreciate being considered.

The generosity on this forum never ceases to amaze me.

5. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Yes please. Thank you for your generosity.

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I'm honored to be considered @jamesicus. Thank you.

7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@jamesicus , thank you VERY much for your kind consideration and generosity. Your OP Folles is gorgeous.

8. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

Wow James! That's incredibly generous of you!

I appreciate all of the effort you've put in to sharing your knowledge with us.

I'm in Canada, but I know that whoever gets this coin is going to be a very happy camper!

Erin

9. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

@jamesicus .... As a fortunate recipient of your generosity (a follis of Constantius I as Caesar ---I now own two different coins of this Emperor:D), let me once again congratulate you and the eventual winner of your posted Maximianus. :woot::woot:

GerardV likes this.
  10. jamesicus

I can no longer drive and I mail everything from my home using United States postage stamps (and I do not have any Customs declaration forms). But I thought of a way to send coins to those who have non-US addresses: If you can find a relative or close friend who resides in the US who would be willing to re-mail the coin to you, I will mail the coin to the name and address you provide.

11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

@jamesicus: If you would like, if the coin is going to someone outside of the US, I would be more than happy to mail it to them for you. I drive past a US Post Office several times per week so it would not be a burden for me.

randygeki, Johndakerftw and Mikey Zee like this.
  12. jamesicus

Thank you very much for the offer Bing -- another example of great minds think alike! :) -- see the Edit note in my original post.

randygeki likes this.
  13. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

That is a very handsome coin and at 11 grams a hefty one to boot. You have been a great addition to the community here.

John

14. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Another example of your kind generosity @jamesicus.

15. GerardV

GerardV Well-Known Member

@jamesicus, and everyone, should I be disqualified because I won the @Deacon Ray "big bag o'Romans" contest? Although, I do love the coin, the more i think this through, I should be disqualified to make things fair for everyone.

I'm happy to let the group vote...or we can just pull my name so someone else can experience the joy of winning

Thoughts?

Theodosius likes this.
  16. jamesicus

I do not think you should be disqualified -- that is just the way life is. I don't want any group vote and I will not pull your name unless you request it. I have found that everything pretty well evens out eventually in your lifetime.

Deacon Ray and Theodosius like this.
  17. jamesicus

Well, this is a coin of Galerius -- remember the name similarity to Maximianus?

18. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Yes!! But I still have a problem with that LOL

randygeki likes this.
  19. jamesicus

Everyone: My motivation in gifting coins (I think it is the motivation of all coin gifters here) is to perpetuate interest (especially that of new collectors) in the kind of coins I specialize in collecting -- a way of giving back something to this hobby that has provided me so much joy and contentment for so many years. There is nothing particularly noble or meritorious in what I am doing -- it is simply something I want to do.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    dlhill132, randygeki, Ajax and 6 others like this.
  20. jamesicus

I really do understand :)

Mikey Zee likes this.
  21. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

I agree with this thought process. Keeping ancient collecting alive is a motivator to a lot of us.

This also applies to much of life outside collecting. I am much more interested in how I can help others now than I am in getting more of anything for myself.

John

Mikey Zee, Ajax, Deacon Ray and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted