I am completely stumped on this MS-67+ Washington Quarter

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, May 28, 2017.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I can be most impudent at times.......

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

When you're grading the coin "in hand", are you allowed to put your thumb over the biggest hit? :rolleyes:

SuperDave likes this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Let me see it in hand first. :)

5. WashQuartJesse

WashQuartJesse Member Supporter

Yes. I've taken about 300 photographs of Washington's in the last few weeks. Thousands since I began this series. You get to understand photos compared to in-hand to a certain degree but I understand what you're saying.

green18 likes this.
  6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

TypeCoin971793, asked: "What is your opinion on market grading. Such at an AU Bust Dollar (with obvious wear) getting an MS grade. IMO, the practice is wrong."

IMHO, "Market Grading" SUCKS! It was invented by big dealers, is extremely hard to teach as value is included, and how do you explain that this AU is different than a different AU they call Uncirculated?

green18, posted: "And all of this ascertained from photog and not 'in hand'....."

Yes, apparently Heritage wants to make sure the bidder sees what he is going to get up the ...:D

7. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

What bothers me is that a premium AU-58 is given an MS-63 by a TPG because that is what they think it is worth. Then a dealer tries to market it as a premium MS-63 and an unsuspecting buyer gets sharfted. If the TPG actually graded the coin, that would not be a problem, and the market will naturally pay a premium price for the premium coins for the grade.

mikenoodle and Insider like this.
  8. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

"TypeCoin971793, posted: "What bothers me is that a premium AU-58 is given an MS-63 by a TPG because that is what they think it is worth. Then a dealer tries to market it as a premium MS-63 and an unsuspecting buyer gets sharfted. If the TPG actually graded the coin, that would not be a problem, and the market will naturally pay a premium price for the premium coins for the grade."

:rolleyes:
    Good thinking young man, your idea is at least forty years old. That's what technical grading was all about. Technical grading was not subjective. It was real. Lot's of us old dinosaurs have constantly expressed what you apparently just thought of to no avail. Grading would be simple for everyone.

Grade the coin based only on its condition of preservation and let the "market" price them.

Then the famous rare coins that were once auctioned off as XF/AU for $5000 could still be graded XF/AU (rather than the MS-64 grade of today) and sell for two million dollars. It ain't going tp happen. Dealers want grading to be subjective and complicated.

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Would you pay $1000+ for it? That's what NGC says its market is for an MS67+. That should be the real question. Talk is cheap. Put that money on it, that hand of yours is shaking, ain't it? ;)

10. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I ain't paying $1000 for any modern, regardless of whether it is graded VF or MS-70 Pop (1/0).

11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

But what if it had a pretty green sticker on it, too? I'm tempting you, now, ain't I? :)

12. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Don't forget that they can always claim "mechanical error" when caught in their "stuff". Also, some of these mechanical errors have somehow been beaned. Honestly I've seen them (the TPGs) go high or low.
    I don't beat my chest, but there are some darkside series that I would gladly put my expertise up against the best at N or P, and they make some unacceptable judgements on coins I have seen both in attribution but more to this coin, in grading. I have seen both be off in GB "off year" matte proofs by 3 points and occasionally up to 5.
    I recently tried to photo a Washie in slab and it looked miserable, couldn't get the luster & some apparent chatter marks - smaller than those on this coin - are not there even under magnification.

We always get the "must see in hand", an escape I also use too much but these photos appear to show some charms on both the obverse and reverse that appear larger than artifact and warrant a significantly lower grade despite any possibility of wonderful luster.
    BTW, nobody mentioned the soft strike and also reverse issues at rim towards 10 o'clock.

eddiespin likes this.
  13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yeah they saw them. The problem is they ignored them !

Eye appeal ? Really ? The coin looks to be butt ugly to me with all that blotchy brown toning !

That statement makes wonder about when your experience started, despite your previous claims, because contact marks and their location sure as hell used to be grade limiting for the TPGs - all of them ! So either your experience is limited to the past 10-12 years or you have a very short memory.

Now yeah, I'll grant you that contact marks do not limit the grade according to the TPGs anymore. They have proved that time and time again. Ever since they started loosening their grading standards, not just once but more than once, it has gotten worse and worse and worse.

The thing that really gets me is that people like you are willing to accept that. And when I say people like you what I'm talking about are people who are willing to accept any grade the TPGs give - regardless of the condition of the coin. In their eyes, no matter what, the TPG is always right. Such blind faith makes me throw my hands in the air and look to the heavens in wonder and amazement !

Well I got news for ya Paul, the TPGs are not always right ! In point of fact in today's world they are wrong far, far, more often than they are right. They have gone so far over the edge that TPG grading has gotten to be a complete and total joke ! The subject coin of this thread is merely the latest example of that.

And as for CAC, do I really have to explain what their sticker on this slab means ? It means that they (CAC) fully realize that the TPGs have gone so far over the top that they have to go right along with their gross over-grading if they wish to stay in business. Because to do otherwise would mean that no slab, or so few of them, would get the CAC sticker that they would have to close up shop. Because if no slab gets the sticker then people aren't going to send their coins any more.

It is so far past time for people, collectors, dealers, auction houses, everybody, to stand up and say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH !

C-B-D and Insider like this.
  14. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

The thing is, you're on the other end of the extreme that you dislike. There are definitely people who only care what number is on the piece of plastic, but don't let those people discount the positives TPGs bring to the hobby.

I can speak first hand being a little less than a year in that I would have quit after my first month after getting burned with every raw coin I tried to buy. Having TPGs, as imperfect as they are, allowed me to not get frustrated and quit. I'm sure I'm not alone.

The nice thing is you can still buy a slabbed coin and just focus on the coin itself. The "buy the slab not the coin" mantra gets tossed around ad nauseam because nothing could be more true.

You and the dealers you talk with can loathe TPGs, I understand they're not for everyone. But understand their importance because they have their role and it's a big one whether you like it or not.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  15. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Jeeze I should send this back in. If they call that one 67+ they should easily upgrade this one to 68 lol
    Comb20112016104825.jpg 2016-11-10-21-23-41.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  16. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Lehigh is too invested in this plastic to back out, now, Doug. He has no choice but to keep on playing poker. ;)

17. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Why would I talk about what the TPGs did in the 1980's? Based on the holder, the coin was graded very recently and I was talking about the current practices of the TPG's and you know it. Furthermore, you know I have been collecting coins for for more than 10 years; your condemnation was nothing more than an attempted cheap shot.

If you go back to my very first post in this thread, I admitted that I think the coin is overgraded even factoring in the eye appeal & luster that can't be evaluated from the photos. AND aren't you the guy who has consistently & repeatedly stated on this forum that it is impossible to grade a coin from photographs. Yet here we have a coin graded MS67+ by NGC and verified as an MS67 by CAC, but because Doug and his cronies on Cointalk saw some photos, the coin is overgraded by 3 points. Your hubris never ceases to amaze me.

I have no problem criticizing the TPGs and there have been many times when I have said publicly that they are wrong. But I have a problem declaring them wrong when I have never actually seen the damn coin!!!! And so should you!

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You don't have to see the coin in hand to see all those contact marks Paul - they are there and plain to see ! And no coin, with that many contact marks of those sizes and in those locations, should be graded any higher than MS 64. Period.

And no it doesn't matter how good the luster is or how good the eye appeal is, they cannot make all those contact marks just go away or be ignored. Any single grading criteria, all by itself, can and should limit the grade of a coin. Even according to the standards written by PCGS themselves.

Dynoking likes this.
  19. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

The most relevant point here is not what the current TPG standard for this coin in this grade is; it's what other coins in this grade from the same TPG's look like. If the coin pictured below can be adjudicated MS67+ - it's from PCGS CoinFacts - how could the OP coin possibly even be close?

1951DObv.jpg

1951DRev.jpg
    Not even the best of upland bird shooters could lead a target moving this fast and this far.

20. Lehigh96

The problem is that you and others are substituting your standards for NGC's standards. I have no problem with your standards and actually find them preferable to NGC's. With respect to most coins, both your standards and NGC's will align and you will find very little difference in the way you grade the coins. It is only an outlier like this one that the divergence can be seen.

As we have already established, the photos are magnifying the hits on the coin. The slab photo is a much better representation of the appearance of the coin IMO.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The core problem that almost everyone has with this coin is the number of minor hits and the fact that the seemingly biggest of the minor marks is in the focal area of reverse, the eagle's breast. Your contention is that the mark is large enough to qualify as a major hit in the focal area and preclude a gem grade. I don't blame your for that analysis, I just disagree. Based on the slab photos, I can barely see that mark and consider it minor enough that a gem grade is still in play. Without a loupe, the coin appears to have premium gem surfaces, mostly because of the clean fields. When viewed under a loupe, the myriad of minor ticks (mostly on the reverse) would become evident and I think that most people would not consider a premium gem grade for surface preservation. Personally, I give the surfaces of this coin an MS65 grade.

But this is where your standards and NGC's diverge. While you are unwilling to market grade the coin above MS65 for superlatives in the other aspects of grading, NGC is perfectly willing to do just that. As a collector of Washington Quarters, you must know from experience that most toned coins are deep, dark, and often have muted luster. This is one of the very few Washington's that I have seen with bright pastel hues. Combine that with an excellent strike and what would have to be incredible luster based on the assigned grade, and they decided that the overall appearance of the coin was that of top tier premium gem and that the problems associated with the surface preservation were less important than the holistic view of the coin.

As I said, I prefer your grading method because it is more consistent and less prone to the controversy that is abound in this thread. People often confuse my attempts to explain the actions of the TPG's with agreement (eg Doug). My initial assessment of this coin was that it was a low end MS67. However that assessment was me attempting to utilize NGC's grading standards. If I were to employ my own grading standards, like the other members of in this thread are doing, I would say that this coin has no business being in an MS67 holder.

21. Lehigh96

You know perfectly well that neither service limits the grade of a coin based on one element of grading. A coin with MS64 surfaces and MS67 strike, luster, and eye appeal is NEVER going to reside in an MS64 holder.

Didn't I make a thread years ago about the TPG's basically ignoring strike as an element of grade?

Draft saved Draft deleted