I am completely stumped on this MS-67+ Washington Quarter

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, May 28, 2017.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I like to browse through the Washington Quarters on Heritage fairly frequently. I've seen some questionable grades on coins. But, every once in a while, I come across one that makes me scream at my monitor with obscenities and I ask how the @#$@ does that make it?

The subject coin is a 1951-D Washington Quarter graded MS-67+ with a CAC sticker! How the hell is this possible? I know a lot of people say that the theory of "It's who submits, not what they submit" laugh it off as conspiracy theories, but is there maybe something actually to them?

1951-D Washington Quarter Obverse.jpeg 1951-D Washington Quarter Reverse.jpeg

eddiespin likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Photogs can be deceiving at times. Perhaps if we had it in hand we could make an more agreeable assessment?

4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

That coin has nada going for it....if the neon tone carried over the surface and the splotches where there and it had some sort of luster It wouldn't be bad even with the hits. But as is it is a butt ugly coin.

5. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

I would only want to pay 65 money for that coin. For sure no CAC premium.

19Lyds and Paddy54 like this.
  6. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I sort of like subtle toning, but I don't like splotches. I would pass going after this one, especially once the registry guys start fighting.

Paddy54 likes this.
  7. jtlee321

The splotchiness is a detractor in my eye. But the most glaring problem with it is the hits all over the eagle on the reverse. It looks like someone shot it with a shotgun. With a price differential from 67 - 67+ being $475 all the way to $8,150.00 I just don't see the + being warranted on this one. Had I come across it raw, I would put it at 65 tops!!

Dynoking, gronnh20, Paul M. and 2 others like this.
  8. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

@jtlee321, congrats for making me scream at my monitor, too.

9. jtlee321

Right? I mean what the edited I can see it getting out of NGC with a high grade, but CAC to? This game feels a lot like the silver market. Don't pay attention to the man behind the curtain....

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2017
  10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

67+........horsehockey! CAC...............bullblintzes!

FUGLY+...........more like it!

Chris

11. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

NGC at it's finest... CAC too.

12. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

MS-64 w/bump for color to 65 max. This is a disgrace to both organizations. In an ideal world, the coin would get pulled from the auction.

Stevearino, Kentucky, Paul M. and 2 others like this.
  13. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

And this is why grading companies should not exist.

It allows people with more money than brains to enter the hobby and ruin the fun for everyone else. It is no longer a hobby to appreciate the history and beauty of coins. It is just a game to see who has the highest number.

14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

They sometimes over reward originality, but they ignore the + as well.

I bet that coin does have great luster, but NGC is a bit lose at the high end. Doesn't appear to warrant the plus. The full slab pics do make it look a little better, but it wouldn't be a coin for me

Paul M. likes this.
  15. jtlee321

I wonder what John would have to say if someone was to make a phone call to him about this one.

I think people will bid on it. It may sell for around $1500.00 and then that person may try to make a stink with NGC on the grade guarantee and try to collect on it.

Stevearino and Insider like this.
  16. baseball21

I would not be the least bit shocked if they made an attempt to get it to get the sticker off it before putting it back into the market

jtlee321 likes this.
  17. jtlee321

One would hope so.

18. WashQuartJesse

WashQuartJesse Member Supporter

I'm with Insider on this. That breast hit though... really tough to justify anything over a 64 imho. With that said, I still think it has extremely nice fields, is O.S., and probably ripping w/ luster.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  19. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I think the coin is gorgeous and I'm sure the luster is off the charts. That said, there are too many small ticks on the focal areas to warrant MS67+. For me this is a low end MS67.

What I don't understand is the hyperbolic vitriol being thrown at this coin in this thread.

furham and green18 like this.
  20. baseball21

I don't personally think the hits that are super magnified are the issue, the eye appeal from the photos anyway just isn't there for a 67+ for me. 66+ I would like it a lot more

21. WashQuartJesse

WashQuartJesse Member Supporter

Agreed, they are SUPER magnified... but they are in the absolute wrong spots for this series. The west wing even has multiple reeded dings.

Paul M. and coinsareus10 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted