I Am Back! Possible 1967 10c DDO-001? Help please

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Pongo, Sep 20, 2022.

1. Pongo

Pongo New Member

Hello again and I apologize for the late hours.
    After a lot more catching up I have been more aware of what to look for and even got lost trying to figure out PCGS's website. Long stort short I found this and I think even if I am wrong it wont be such a far guess.

This is a 1967 Dime, it matches DDO-001 Listed on vista and after comparing to other coins of the same date was the only one with such obviously similar features. Please go easy and explain as much as possible where I got it wrong.
    S20220920_0001.jpg S20220920_0002.jpg S20220920_0003.jpg S20220920_0004.jpg S20220920_0005.jpg

Also have been meaning to post this and since limit is 10 images per post Im going to sneak them in here while I figure out how to use forums correctly without spamming.

This is a 2015 Homestead Quarter, as far as I could see this one had some sort of "snow on the roof", exactly where my coin shows what I would call a die chip. Also there are so many variants to the window, that one I could not figure out for the life of me. And lastly the leaky bucket showing what I'm gonna call post mint damage northeast of the well. I would assume so because I have never seen anything of the sort but then again... What do I know? S20220920_0006.jpg S20220920_0007.jpg S20220920_0008.jpg

Thanks again all of you for your time

PS: I sometimes use words such as Doubled Die or Die Chip for lack of a better word and to explain what I believe to be the issue. Please feel free to drop some knowledge on me but don't take it as a claim.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Hello and welcome back! Sorry but I see no evidence of Doubling from these photos.
    Possible "die chips" in the next picture (??).
    Enjoy your night!! ;)

Paddy54 likes this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Just not seeing anything.

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

6. Pongo

Pongo New Member

Well I am baffled to say the least. I thought yall would be more argumentative lol.

Well I'd say mine exhibits some wear so I would assume it would not look exactly the same, however I see what I understood to be spread on it which is what vista lists. If it not too much to ask, could anybody help me understand spread?

Now about the Quarter, I guess I should have asked the right questions. For example how much is it worth? What are the parameters for determining value on die chips? Does the coin have to match all die chips known on that coin or can there be specific combinations of dies that can make it more valuable? And lastly what would something like that be worth? Because I have seen plenty of listings for that version but none of them look exactly the same.

Thanks again everyone for your time and please have patience with me I am learning and reading as much as I can but sometimes its too much to try to find a specific answer.

7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

At the breakneck rate you're going you're never going to understand anything. You need to grab hold of yourself, slow down, and read. Put your coins and camera aside and get head-over-heels into this: https://doubleddie.com/144801.html. This is all kindergarten stuff, it's not rocket science. You'll see that once you start reading, I'm sure. Learn what you're doing before you jump in and start doing it, there's the theory, there. Kind of makes sense, don't it? You wouldn't drive an automobile if you didn't know what you were doing. Learn what you're doing at this link, then go ahead and do it. Put forth that effort, now, and you'll be happier for it. Just trust me on that, too.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
  8. Pongo

Pongo New Member

I appreciate the link but I will say youre not the first one to link me there. Ive been doing some reading on it and havent gotten through the whole thing yet. I have looked at tons of doubled die pictures and read about the mechanicals doubling and all that. However, there must be some sort of knowledge deeper down the learning path thats keeping me from understanding the whole thing. I will do some more reading this afternoon and I apologize if it feels like im rushing things. I'm just trying to get rid of the hundreds of coins I have in my room, categorized, since my coins interest began lol

9. Pickin and Grinin

What we are looking at is the separation lines that show on GOD the TR and ST.
    Dimes especially clad dimes are riddled with die deterioration doubing.
    I do see close attributes on your coin but without seeing those lines, or die markers, it is nearly impossible to attribute.

10. Pongo

Pongo New Member

I guess my question would be. Even through the wear of a well circulated coin the distance between the lines should be crisp and clearly visible on my coin right?

11. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

No.

You have Circulation wear to the coin. Circulation wear is Unlimited, only limited by the amount of time it is in circulation and what happens to it during that time frame.

Circulation wear is totally different from the dies wearing while being made to stamp out little pieces of metal.

Think of the manufacturing of a coin like the tread of a car.
    As each coin is made the dies wear a little bit on each strike.
    It's like a car tread. You drive it and the tread wear, may break, chunk out, etc and then you replace it with a new one. But during that time the tread gets thinner and thinner and spread out a bit. The same as a die ... the "tight, crisp" edges get worn and spread out.

And circulation wear is people using the coin, it rubbing up and smashing against other surfaces. Getting scratched in a parking lot surface. People hammering it by accident or on purpose, etc.

12. Pickin and Grinin

It looks like there is plenty of meat left on the bone of your coin. Those separation lines should still be pretty discernable of they were there. Try and take the photos as VV took them.
    Also, it is always nice to see full size photos of the coin, both reverse and obverse. Also, a nice sharp photo of the designers' initials JS.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
  13. Pongo

Pongo New Member

Noted, thanks!

14. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

Note how the true doubled die is wider! The extra thickness can also be caused by damage but will still look different. The notches are a good thing to look for! On the machine doubling example notice it looks like a step or shelf. Most call that flat and shelf like!

upload_2022-9-20_15-6-47.png

15. G.smith

G.smith New Member

4A1AE72D-362E-4158-9DC6-E0822273082C.png 4A1AE72D-362E-4158-9DC6-E0822273082C.png
    F2FCF06A-29E0-4722-82AF-F89C039145CD.png

16. G.smith

G.smith New Member

Here’s an example of my 1967 DDR, hope this helps.

17. Pickin and Grinin

Sorry to say G smith. That is MD. Flat and shelf like.

18. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

19. G.smith

G.smith New Member

Hey there P and G, not sure what ya mean. I was referring to the double stamping on the reverse of that dime. I’m always willing to learn more.

20. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

A true Doubled die doesn't move the thickness of one side of a letter ( such as the A) without moving the other side also. Yes, this is an extreme case below, but notice that the doubled effect is approximately the same height and width ( L,I,B,
    etc.) on both . A true doubling does not only have the movement on one part, but the one way movement can be caused by a spread of the image over time.
    IMO, Jim 55ddOlib.JPG 55dd0date-1-1.JPG

21. Pickin and Grinin

Welcome to CT G Smith. That is what is called MD or Mechanical doubling. They can look neat, but it isn't the valuable kind of doubling. A mechanical doubling takes away from the size and design of the devices.
    A Doubled Die will add size to the devices, and the more valuable ones will create two images. As @desertgem showed above.
    If you want some more to read on Doubled Dies VS Worthless doubling you can do that at the link below.
    Scroll down the menu on the left hand side and click. There is a wealth of information on the website.
    http://doubleddie.com/58201.html

Draft saved Draft deleted