I always wanted one of these slabbed ancients but...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, Sep 17, 2013.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

If it were NGC I guess the price of the submission and slabbing, $40?

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

TIF likes this.
  5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

How about this. I just went through the reverse legends listed in my Sear book and didn't find the letters on the depicted reverse. I'm going back now to see if I missed the coin under Denarius listed for Elagabalus. You're probably going to tell us that it is not even Elagabalus or possibly not a denarius.

6. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Heh - the folks at ICG might do themselves some good by reading your pages.

7. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

And perhaps the obverse legend should begin with IMP CAES M or A.

8. John Anthony

Would it actually be more scandalous if NGC had mis-attributed it?

9. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I just read your Webpage. It explains much.

10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Wrong emperor named on the label it looks like to me. Too young for elagabalus.

obverse IMP CAE M AVR ANT AVG P TR P II, laureate and draped bust right. from behind; reverse SPES PVBLICA, Spes advancing left, flower in right, raising drapery with left.

Possibly Laodicea ad Mare mint.

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

100 times more. With the exception of his involvement in slabbing ancients, I have great respect for Mr. Vagi. If there exists a genuine NGC slab marked Elagabalus with a coin of Caracalla inside I would be shocked. IGC and the other plastic purveyors are not expected to be correct all of the time. Why people pay extra for expert opinions by those who know not, I do not know. If you want amateur guesses you can ask here and get wild stabs in the dark by half a dozen of us beginners for free. We may not get all the low grade rare bronzes for sure but we at least can tell Caracalla when we see him.

Perhaps you think I'm too hard on people who charge money without providing value added service. Perhaps I'm not in a good mood.

stevex6 and SPP Ottawa like this.
  12. John Anthony

Not in the least. I once thought slabbing had something to do with real numismatics, but I was quickly disabused of that delusion. I don't place any more value on a coin for living in an NGC slab as opposed ICG. They may as well both have come from Joe Schmoe's Garage Guarantee Service.

13. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I have one Doug, an ICG slab labeled Elagabalus but its a Caracalla. I got it on Frank Robinson's bargain list a couple of years ago for $15. I guess I just beat you to it. Its the only ancient I allow to be caged, I laugh every time I look at it.

14. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Eh, I hate tpg as much as any, but i respect mr. Vagi as well. I might even like them a little if they actually used ancient coin collectors grades, and not some kind of frankenstein monster pseudo US grading system. So, I like mr vagi as a dealer/author, and as a person, but unless I believe authenticity would be a question, the slab has to go. :(

15. John Anthony

If authenticity was a question, and I was planning to drop a lot of scratch, I'd rather call David Sear than anyone else.

16. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

My only ICG ancient I got was my current vespasian. It was graded EF45. At least it was attributed right.

[​IMG]
    Vespasian (69 - 79 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    O:IMP CAES VESP AVG P M COS IIII, Laureate head right.
    R: AVGVR (above) TRI POT (below), simpulum, aspergillum, jug & lituus.(emblems of the augurate and potificate)
    Rome Mint 71 - 72 A.D.
    17.5mm
    3.3g
    RIC p. 1, 356 SRCV 2282 BMCRE 64

My Octavian & Caesar were NGC and those I broke free but have kept the slab tickets, which are correct too.

I just detest ancients in slabs, lol.

Windchild, stevex6 and John Anthony like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted