I agree, it seems like Washington's been on the quarter forever, but...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by -jeffB, Mar 23, 2018.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

He’s been on the quarter since my father graduated from college.

4. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

You didn't know Washington was on the denarius and a few tetradrachms?

Here is my EID MAR.

[​IMG]

(The joke will be lost on all but the Ancient coin folk, probably. As it likely was on all the subsequent people who got that coin in change after I spent it.)

-jeffB, alurid, baseball21 and 4 others like this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

-jeffB likes this.
  7. ronnie58

ronnie58 Active Member

~ Some of the first Washington commemoratives were made in Britain, I believe. It seems strange they would go from wanting to string him up to such accolades only nine years later. o_O

~ The depiction of the Eagle shows they hadn't quite settled on an elegant way to depict the standing position... looks like it could be a freeze frame from the 'disco chicken' just b4 blast-off. :jawdrop::smug:

~ The head piece is quite interesting. Rome, Vatican, Royalty, Lloyd's Bank - these are all connected. I know it sounds ludicrous on the surface, but I've wondered if the Brits didn't throw the war in order to let the rebels subdue the 'savages' and the terrain, in order to gain access to the new resource base. Winning would have meant bankrolling all of the industry, agriculture and construction from afar. But the story about their being broke as well as worn out from previous engagements as the war ended may not be all there is to it. -- Apologies for the digression, I know that this is outside the realm here, but would be glad to discuss further via PM) :pompous:

-jeffB likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted