I’m trying to get an idea of what I’ve got here...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by CantAllBeWinners, May 21, 2018.

1. CantAllBeWinners

CantAllBeWinners New Member

So, these coins have mostly spent the better part of the last 30 years sitting in my grandfather’s desk drawer. There were also some European coins from the ‘60s and a couple of those blue coin books of pennies, but these are the ones that seemed the most interesting to me. Of course, I have very little knowledge on the subject, which is why I’m here.

I played with the images slightly just to make details a bit easier to see. If there’s anything anyone is interested in getting a better look at, let me know and I can take some close ups.

Can anyone shed some light on any of these? I’m very curious to learn about what I’ve got. Do any in particular stand out to anyone?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. APX78

APX78 Well-Known Member

I recognize 2C through 2F. They are Canadian Large Cents.

4. gold standard db

gold standard db Active Member

4A 4B 3D Are US large cents, petite matron and draped obverses.

5. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

6. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

1A, 1B, and 2A are British pennies from Queen Victoria's reign. 2B is a half penny from George V's reign.

7. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

4D, the Civil War token looks decent.

Looks like a fun group to go through, though mostly I see relatively common world coins and some older US with wear and/or damage. Might be something I'm missing though.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  8. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

4D is a civil war token...try google..

9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Good way to do it, with the grid like that. Wish more folks with big lots for us to ID would do this.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to go through them all right now but can probably help with all of them later if nobody else does.

Most of these like the Canadian large cents and US coins say what they are, in English, right there on the coin.

Fun mix, there. You've got some silver. I don't see anything that leaps out as me as being tremendously valuable, but it's not all junk, either. Nice lot.

10. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

8A through 8C are silver Cuban pennies from the early 20th Century, and 8D is a Cuban 2 cent silver piece from the early 20th century. I don't think they are particularly expensive, but you'll definitely find willing buyers for them as you can't sell that stuff on Ebay.

11. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Thank you for sorting these in an understandable way. Quite a gift grandpa left. Grid 3-D intrigues me. It is a very early large cent and those are quite desirable. Unfortunately the piece is worn to the point you cannot see the date. I know there are some early copper experts here on the forum that can identify many of these early coppers my means of die marks. They amaze me with their knowledge of these early coppers. I sure hope one jumps in to help you out.

Draft saved Draft deleted