I’m done pursuing US coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by TypeCoin971793, Sep 30, 2018.

1. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I have collected US coins for 14 years now (2/3 of my life :eek: ), and I have been quite fond of them. My collection focus evolved constantly as I found new interests, got bored with old ones, bought and sold, etc. But recently I have becomed quite disillusioned with US coins. So much stress is put on the number on a label, which makes everything seem impersonal. It is also disheartening to listen to 90% of people in the hobby who see these coins as a commodity, an investment, or just holes to fill in a set. Most of the coins really are not that interesting, and the ones that do have interesting stories or have historical significance cost exhorbitant amounts of money, money that could be spent on several more-interesting coins instead. This sector of the hobby is so overpriced that I no longer see any value in sticking with it.

I’ve sold most of my US coins (at a profit @GDJMSP ;) ), but I will be keeping a couple dozen or so that I find interesting. I will probably be buying a US coin for my collection every once in a while that fits my collecting theme of telling a good story or having physical beauty. But those will be few and far between.

You might still see me wheeling and dealing, though. ;)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I agree with you about pretty much everything you said. I have mostly moved on to ancients. There is so much more history, variety, and designs to collect.

Ancient Aussie likes this.
  4. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

I’m all about the ancients now. So much more to learn and all the coins are tied into an aspect of history that I love to study.

Couple that with the fact that you can pick up a coin that is 2200+ years old for under $30 (from Sicily none the less). How can you go wrong?

5. Robert91791

Robert91791 Well-Known Member

I also agree with you and that is why I dont buy them. Let other people pay for those overprice graded coins.

roman99 likes this.
  6. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Well ive found a fondness for 1800s silver coinage, but none of which are slabbed

7. Sunflower_Coins

Sunflower_Coins Importer and Exporter

I don't disagree with with your assessment-there probably aren't a whole lot of people here that do. No doubt the hype and business surrounding the world's most popular collecting hobby-US Coins-have made it a breeding ground for all kinds of ilk.

However, I refuse to let it destroy my love of American coins. They aren't always pretty; in the wider scope of things, they aren't really that old. However, they reflect the path that both this nation and my ancestors have trodden, and for that reason they will always be near and dear to me.

It is easy to be caught up in all the bad things are going on in the hobby, but it isn't impossible to buy good examples of interesting US coins fairly inexpensively. The walk around the sewer may be long, but it is better than wading through it.

8. CircCam

CircCam Victory

9. CircCam

CircCam Victory

I see myself going the “eclectic box” route someday as well. There’s so many great designs out there as you said.

Stevearino and PlanoSteve like this.
  10. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

I agree that modern collecting is too centric on the number on a label. I am jealous of those who collected before grading services - they know quality better than most of us new collectors do.

I find myself focusing more on die varieties than dates, however. I feel like die varieties are where most of the interesting coins are.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This coin was struck as the reverse die was literally falling apart - how cool is that? IMO much more interesting than just collecting by date.

But besides varieties, I find world/ancient coins more interesting as there is much more variety, much more history, many coins of different types can be acquired inexpensively, etc. I still like US coins, but I find myself trying to cherrypick varieties far more than acquiring coins by date and mintmark.

eddiespin and Noah Finney like this.
  11. TypeCoin971793

I am aware. That is why I left the possibility open to future US coin purchases. Here are some examples of what I am keeping.

Like this was $9. It is a nice high-grade 3 cent nickel with a 180° rotated reverse and die clash. Even my non-collector friends think it is cool.

C9665693-9C04-494A-BF1C-67E05BC1FF28.jpeg

This one was a lot more expensive, but it cured my desire for a pretty, lustrous UNC large cent. Plus having a provenance to the Randall Hoard is quite interesting.

D2995ED6-385A-4500-9EB0-E3789A9DDE80.jpeg

These coins were gifts. I don’t sell gifts.

45AA4E59-F393-4228-BF54-C986CB59764C.jpeg 20137D77-CAE9-40BC-BAEF-7D64D2F385BD.jpeg EA9B24CF-18E4-417A-B055-F63D2830DD13.jpeg 73AB658D-EDBB-4166-AB4C-BCD19DA7111C.jpeg 93696A0F-5DF5-4263-87EF-B89BA099E5B4.jpeg 6B9C0BE7-F868-4D14-AC63-E2DC15D25456.jpeg

12. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

I can't figure out what you are "done" with. You say you are "disillusioned with US coins" but follow that up with...

"but I will be keeping a couple dozen or so that I find interesting"

and

"will probably be buying a US coin for my collection every once in a while that fits my collecting theme of telling a good story or having physical beauty. But those will be few and far between.

You might still see me wheeling and dealing, though."

So you seem to be a bit melodramatic about something (i.e. "I'm done", swoon!), but then you just define another set of criteria for another version of a US coin collection.

I'm good with that, but cut the drama queen edit :) lol

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  13. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Well that sure doesn’t sound like you’re really done :) I once sold 90% of my collection and started over with only a few special coins I kept. Nothing wrong with it...

PlanoSteve, Seattlite86 and Eduard like this.
  14. TypeCoin971793

I am done actively collecting US coins for all of the reasons spelled out above. Sorry if that was somehow difficult for you to understand.

And I wheel and deal to pay for school, not because I actually want the coins. It is almost free money.

15. TypeCoin971793

I have had 1000 more frustrations with the US coin hobby than in any other sector. I really do not desire to keep on going with it. It is pure cancer.

16. CoinCorgi

Except the US coins you like.

PlanoSteve and baseball21 like this.
  17. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

There are great coins from countries like France/England/Germany. Maybe you just need a change? Don’t throw in the towel yet...

longshot and Eduard like this.
  18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This hobby is what you and only you make of it. There is something for everyone.

19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I never read posts on the US forum but was attracted to this from the right side menu when I saw who posted to it. I stopped collecting US about 1960 when I moved to ancients but kept my US, the majority of which were pulled from circulation as was much more usual for kids of that day. There is absolutely nothing wrong with collecting US and I occasionally enjoy looking at some of mine but don't intend on buying any for more than face value. I suggest keeping an open mind and not being quick to sell anything until you know with more certainty what will thrill you in fifty years.

The coin below cost me 25 cents when it was about 40 years old. By today's standards it would not be considered a great find (it is not slabbed) but I'm glad I kept it along with a handful of things that seemed boring when I was 21. I could have spent it for a burger when I lost interest in it.
    [​IMG]
    Agree.

TJC, Vince11229, dlhill132 and 12 others like this.
  20. TypeCoin971793

I read quite a bit of history, and I like to get coins to represent some of the interesting bits that I find. If a US coin happens to be involved in such a way, then will I make it a target if it is not overpriced like most US coins. That seems to be a foreign concept to you.

I have already changed my focus. It is much more satisfying.

21. CoinCorgi

Just clarifying for posterity that your post title is not accurate. Enjoy what you collect.

Sunflower_Coins likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted