Hygie(ia)ne is Important

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by furryfrog02, Jul 29, 2020.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

With the world currently engulfed in the Covid-19 pandemic, hygiene is more important than ever. Hygieia is the Greek goddess of health, cleanliness, and hygiene. She was the daughter of the god of medicine, Asclepius, and along with her 4 sisters Panacea, Iaso, Aceso, and Aglaia, played an important part in her father's cult making sure everyone stayed clean and healthy.

While her father and other sisters focused more on the healing process, Hygieia was associated with the prevention of sickness and maintaining good health. The word "hygiene" is derived from her name.

The Romans identified her with the ancient Italian goddess Salus, the goddess of social welfare.

In 2020, I can't think of a more important god or goddess.

Feel free to post your coins with Hygieia, her father Asclepius, or any of her sisters (I'm not sure if there are any but I'd like to see them if there are!)

This is the best identification I can make for this coin since I was only able to find one possible die match on vcoins.

Faustina II
    AE, 6.12g
    161-175/6 AD
    Thrace, Pautalia
    Obverse: ΦΑΥϹΤΕΙΝΑ ϹΕΒΑϹΤΗ, draped bust right
    Reverse: ΟVΛΠΙΑϹ ΠΑVΤΑΛΙΑϹ. Hygieia standing, right, feeding serpent from patera
    IMG-8433-removebg-preview.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

Marcus Aurelius from Pautalia
    PautaliaMarcus.JPG

Unrecorded Septimius from Nicomedia
    septhygia (3).jpg

Orielensis, Ryro, Alegandron and 7 others like this.
  4. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

Asklepios, snake & staff
    Athens New Style Tetradrachm c 135/4 BC
    bs : Athena Parthenos right in tri-form helmet
    16.63g 29.2mm Thompson issue 30
    Thompson catalogue: Obs 354 : Rev NEW
    Rev : AΘE ethnic
    Owl standing on overturned Panathenaic amphora on
    which month mark [Ν] control ΗΡ below
    3 magistrates : MENED EPIGENO ARISTE
    LF symbol : Asklepios clutching stick with snake entwined
    All within a surrounding olive wreath

[​IMG]

5. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

RRRRR!
    Athens New Style Tetradrachm c 47 BC
    Obs : Athena Parthenos right in tri-form helmet with tr-partite earings
    27mm 17.04gm Thompson (new) issue 105
    Thompson catalogue: Obs: I260 Rev:NEW
    Rev : ΑΘΕ ethnic
    Owl standing on overturned panathenaic amphora on
    which month mark A: control ΣΩ below
    2 magistrates : DIOKLES TO DEY MEDEIOS
    RF symbol : Hygieia
    All within a surrounding olive wreath

[​IMG]

6. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Your attribution looks like a good attribution to me - here's the RPC reference: RPC IV, 8820 there are two other options worth looking at - I think this is closest.

and here's an Asklepios as I have no Hygieias (although many of Salus) - If my geography is approximately right - Pautalia is somewhere in modern Bulgaria and Phrygia/Akmoneia somewhere in the western half of modern Turkey, and separated by 200-250 years - Asklepios was not a minor figure.
    Phrygia Akmoneia.jpg
    Greek Coins, Phrygia, Akmoneia, AE, 1st century BC, Menodotos and Silion, magistrates
    Obv: Laureate head of Zeus right
    Rev: AKMONE / MHNOΔO ΣIΛΛΩN, Asklepios standing facing, resting hand upon serpent-entwined staff.

7. furryfrog02

Thanks @Sulla80. I did go through RPC and ACSearch but none of them have a die match for mine...at least that I could find. Faustina II's bust is much smaller on mine than on the RPC examples and the legend goes almost to the top of her forehead on "ΦΑΥϹΤΕΙΝΑ". Most of the RPC ones I saw show the legend broken up by her head. Same goes for the reverse of mine. I think it is the closest match to 8819 though.

I only found one that seems to have my obverse match on vcoins, and it is not as nice as mine IMO. Certainly much more than I paid for mine by some 8x!

Sulla80 likes this.
  8. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Always fun to find a bargain. It would be nice to find L. Ruzicka, "Die Münzen von Pautalia", Sofia, 1933 which is referenced and might have pictures of 8821, 8822, and others.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  9. furryfrog02

I wish more references were online.

Sulla80 likes this.
  10. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Next to no coins are illustrated in Ruzicka. It is available as a print reprint.

11. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I do love some Hygieia and family! This one's my favorite because it has both Asklepios and Hygieia and Faustina II!

[​IMG]
    Faustina II, AD 147-175.
    Roman provincial Æ 22.7 mm, 6.54 g, 7 h.
    Thrace, Hadrianopolis, AD 161-176.
    Obv: ·I·AVCTEINA CEBACTH, pearl-diademed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: ΑΔΡΙΑΝΟΠΟΛΕΙΤΩΝ, Hygieia, feeding serpent from patera, and Asklepios, leaning on serpent-entwined staff, standing facing one-another.
    Refs: RPC IV (temp) 10453; SNG Cop 560; Jurukova 84-87; Varbanov 3219; Moushmov 2521; Mionnet suppl. 2, 636.

I also like this one because it's an odd denomination used only in the city of Tomis, a 4-1/2 assarion piece:

[​IMG]
    Gordian III, with Tranquillina, A.D. 238-244
    Roman provincial AE 4.5 assaria, 12.80 g, 28.2 mm, 7 h.
    Moesia Inferior, Tomis, A.D. 241-244.
    Obv: AVT K M ANTΩNIOC ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟC // CABINIA TPA / NKVΛΛINA, confronted laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gordian right and diademed, draped bust of Tranquillina left.
    Rev: MHTPOΠON-TOV TOMEΩC, Hygieia standing right, feeding serpent from patera; Δ< (ligate) in lower left field.
    Refs: AMNG I (Pick) 3534.
    Note: Easily confused with the more commonly encountered Moushmov 2288, AMNG 3535, which does not bear a mark of value and may have been tariffed at four assaria.

12. furryfrog02

Great coins so far :)
    Does anyone know if there are coins that depict any of her sisters?

Draft saved Draft deleted