HWE's TOP TEN

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by hotwheelsearl, Dec 16, 2020.

?

Which coin is your favorite? Pick up to 2

1. Augustus As, SC

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Arcadius AE4, Victory

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. Aurelian Ant, Sol

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. Gallienus Ant, Fortuna

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Severus Alexander AE, Diana

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Constantine I Follis, Campgate

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  7. Maximianus Large Follis, Moneta

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  8. Constantine I Imitation, VLPP

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  9. Postumus Ant, Spaghetti

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  10. Constantius Gallus AE2, FTR

15 vote(s)
    55.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Hello, I only started collecting ancient coins in March, so I am very new to the hobby, with an amateur's budget as well. Nevertheless, I thought you people would enjoy seeing my top 10 (extreme) budget purchases of the past year.

In order of lowest to highest:

10. Augustus AE As
    Obv: CAESAR AVGVSTVS TRIVNIC POTEST. Bare head right
    Rev: C GALLIVS LVPERCVS IIIVIR AAAFF. Large SC surrounded by legend
    Ref: RIC 379
    Date of Acq: March 5, 2020
    Price: $10.67
    Augustus RIC 379 (2020_11_18 03_38_31 UTC).JPG
    There is nothing special about this coin, really. It's a common As of Augustus with rough, porous surfaces. But it is the first ancient coin I ever bought with the intention of starting a collection. The price opened my eyes to just how affordable Romans could be, even a larger coin of a popular emperor.

9. Arcadius AE4 (13mm)
    Obv: DNARCADIVSPFAVG. Diadem bust right
    Rev: SALVSREI PVBLICAE. Victory dragging captive left
    Ref: RIC IX Constantinople 86c, B
    Price: $0.81
    Arcadius Constantinople RIC IX 86c B (2020_11_18 03_38_31 UTC).JPG
    What is this coin doing on the list? Well, I've begun to have a thing for the "worst flans in the ancient world." This one is an interesting coin since the details are really well done, and the flan was rather well prepared....it was just struck like 30% off center!
    Fortunately, the off centering is in the perfect place - it's 100% attributable because it, in a stroke of luck, retained the emperor's name and the mintmark.

8. Aurelian BI Antoninianus (23mm)
    Obv: AVRELIANVSAVG. Radiate, cuirassed, giraffe neck bust right
    Rev: ORI E NSAVG. Sol standing left, holding globe; captive at feet
    Ref: RIC Milan 135
    Date of Acq: Jun 28, 2020
    Price: $2.63
    Aurelian Milan RIC 135 (2020_11_18 03_38_31 UTC).JPG
    In keeping with my flan fascination, this coin probably has the most oversized flan as compared to the die I've ever seen. Theres almost a full 3mm extra metal, which is great because there is basically full beading all the way around. Ironically, despite all the extra metal the reverse isn't quite there. Despite having some silver content, there is plenty of pink copper poking out which actually looks kinda cool.

7. Gallienus BI Antoninianus (23mm)
    Obv: GALLIENVSAVG. Radiate, cuirassed bust right
    Rev: FORTVNARED. Fortuna standing left with cornucopia and scales
    Ref: RIC Siscia 572
    Date of Acq: June 28, 2020
    Price: $2.63
    Gallienus Siscia RIC 572 (2020_11_18 03_38_31 UTC).JPG
    The final flantastic coin on this list has an insanely unsightly, ragged, sharp, and gross flan. You can tell that almost no effort was taken in preparing the flan, it's almost as if they just dropped a glob of metal onto the ground and figured it was good enough. However, like the Aurelian above, the nasty flan is rather large and allows for almost full beading on both sides. However despite the extra 3mm, the flan is so bad on the edges that beading is broken by raggedness. I love it.

6. Severus Alexander AE23
    Obv: IMPCMAVRSEV ALEXANDAVG. Laureate, draped bust right
    Rev: COLFLPA CDEVLT. Diana advancing right with bow and arrow; dog at feet
    Ref: Moushmov Deultum 3583
    Date of Acq: June 18, 2020
    Price: $16.68
    Severus Alexander Deultum Moushmov 3583 (2020_11_18 03_38_31 UTC).JPG
    One of my favorite reverse types is Diana with the bow. They tend to be expensive, which is why I only have a couple, but I really like the dynamism and emotion of the reverse, which copies a famous original Greek bronze group. This coin has a very dark patina with golden high points. I suspect teh black patina is mostly encrustration, but it looks too good to remove and gives it an attractive appearance.

5. Constantine I AE small follis (silvered)
    Obv: CONSTAN TINVSAVG. Diadem bust right
    Rev: PROVIDEN TIAEAVGG
    Ref: RIC VII Cyzicus 34B
    Date of Acq: March 7, 2020
    Price: $15.22
    Constantine I RIC 34 (2020_11_18 03_38_31 UTC).jpeg
    The second coin I bought this year is one of my best and favorites. This coin introduced me to the fact that yes, many Roman coins were shiny silver back in the day. Silvering is rather hard to find partially intact, and even more so as full as this one. I'd say about 95% of silvering remains. In this incredible state of preservation, the coin looks almost as-struck, probably in the high-AU grade. This helped me understand just how impressive these coins really could be back in the day.

4. Maximianus AE Large Follis (30x27mm)
    Obv: IMPMAXIMIANVSAVG. Laureate bust right
    Rev: SACRAMONETAAVGGETCAESSNOSTR. Moneta standing left, holding scales and cornucopia
    Ref: RIC Aquileia 29b
    Price: $13.11
    IMG_E8083.JPG
    What's not to like about this one? Massive flan, ugly head, and glossy patina. I was drawn to the interesting reverse legend, which is probably the longest since the good old days. Unfortunately the silvering is all gone on this one, but I won't complain since the size, heft, and ugly head is all I need in my life.

3. Constantine I AE imitation (19mm)
    Obv: random symbols. Crested helmet bust right
    Rev: III III. Abstract victories holding a "shield"
    Ref: VLPP imitation, imitating...something...
    Date of Acq: August 1, 2020
    Price: $0.84
    Constantine I VLPP barb (2020_11_18 03_38_31 UTC).JPG
    Barbaric imitations are an area I've grown to know and love. I am especially drawn to this one due to the incredible fineness of art and skill of the celator. Despite the absolutely blundered legends and very abstract reverse imagery, the coin really speaks to me. I see here a highly skilled local (Celtic?) artist who, instead of trying and failing to copy an official coin, rather put his own spin and local flavor to the art.
    I am convinced the celator was proud of his product and was a great artist in his own right. The very large, oversized flan is also pretty awesome.

2. Postumus BI Antoninianus
    Obv: IMPCPOSTVMVSPFAVG. Radiate, draped bust right.
    Rev: VICT O R IAAVG. Victory advancing left, captive at feet.
    Ref: RIC 89
    Date of Acq: Mar 7, 2020
    Price: $13.95
    Postumus RIC 89 (2020_11_18 03_38_31 UTC).jpeg
    The Gallic emperors have a very interesting flavor in their imagery. The obverses are usually extraordinarily fine, but the reverses are often exercises in abstraction. Maybe imperial portrait sculptors were enlisted for the obverses, and the reverses were left to the interns?
    The abstract quality of the reverse is so jarring when compared to the ultra-realistic Postumus bust. The victory is a line drawing and the captive barely looks like anything at all. I LOVE the victory though, and I've affectionately dubbed this reverse type the Spaghetti Victory.

1. Constantius Gallus AE2 (21mm)
    Obv: DNFLCLCONSTANTIVSNOBCAES.
    Rev: FELTEMPRE PARATIO
    Ref: RIC VII Nicomedia 85
    Date of Acq: August 9, 2020
    Price: $9.63
    Constantius Gallus Nicomedia RIC VII 85 (2020_11_18 03_38_31 UTC).JPG
    My pick for best purchase of the year is this astounding example of a C-Gall. Both sides are in pristine condition with amazing details. The minor strike weakness on the upper reverse are a shame, but I would rather have a nice lobster-clawed barbarian than a Roman soldier.
    This coin is probably the most photogenic one in my entire collection at this point - excellent state of preservation, great details and nice color make this a real win in my book, especially for the price.

And that's it for this year. This year helped me learn how to narrow down collecting interests, instead of trying to get one of everything.

My biggest lesson here is that eye appeal and personal enjoyment trump getting a "rare emperor in any grade."

Moving forward, I suspect that you'll see my focus shifting towards large, late period bronzes. Silver is great, but not for me, as you can see with the lack of any real silver in this list.

Which ones are your favorite? As always, please share anything relevant, especially if you own a similar example to one of my picks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..you're doin' great Earl, for just starting in March...fine selection! :)

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  4. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I find those barbaric imitation coins fascinating. Apparently European collectors esteem them more highly than American collectors do. That’s a nice one.

5. siddo1

siddo1 New Member

I've purchased a few of the less expensive coins from reputable dealers, myself. A very small investment for my learning curve. And the historical value cannot be beat (IMHO). Thanks for the share! :)

6. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

My favorite has to be your Spaghetti Victory. She's fantastic! I also like the Constantius Gallus and the Constantine campgate a lot. But I think they're amazing overall. Did any of them start out completely uncleaned, or did you buy them all looking like they are now?

7. hotwheelsearl

Unfortunately I don’t have a picture, but that VLPP imitation started out as, essentially, a block of solid stone! A real tough one to clean but I think it turned out pretty well

DonnaML likes this.
  8. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

You have 2 on your list that I really like; the Constantine I imitation and the Postumus Antoninianus.
    That Constantine is one of the cooler looking imitations that I have ever seen. The Postumus I like because I love all things Victory AND I have its twin :)

9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

11. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

You have a good start to an ancient collection, my favorites are the Moneta with scales and the Constantine I imitation.
    It is good to start with a few modestly priced coins and learn to ID them. My first handful of ancient coins included a Philip II provincial coin that took a few years to ID.

12. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thats a nice FH

13. hotwheelsearl

I agree! I wouldn’t feel comfortable buying expensive coins before being very familiar with cheap ones and learning the ropes

14. hotwheelsearl

I know right!

15. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

You can't beat that 81-cent Arcadius! I like the silvered Constantine, too.

And how you showed the prices. I'd say every one of these represents a lot of "bang for the buck", and that makes them impressive to me.

16. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I voted for #1 and #3. Nice Gallus FH and neato barbarous VLPP.

17. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

H.W.Earl,
    smiley-looking-through-magnifying-glass.png
    You've got a sharp eye for spotting bargains :D! My favorites are #1 & 2.

DonnaML likes this.
  18. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The Nikomedia FH does have an exceptionally well detailed barbarian. My example is more even with a head on the soldier but much worse detail on the barbarian. I agree with your ranking of the coin.
    rx7285bb2816.jpg

From a later, smaller series from this mint is a barbarian with a particularly bold hairstyle.
    rx7290bb2466.jpg

19. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

You had a great year, @hotwheelsearl! My favorites are the Constantine imitation, the Postumus with the "Bride of Slenderman" Victory reverse type, and the Constantius Gallus.

DonnaML and hotwheelsearl like this.
  20. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great collection, love your Fallen Horseman. Well done and great buying.

21. singig

singig Well-Known Member

My preferred is #1 , but very close are coming #3 and #4.

Draft saved Draft deleted