Hurricane cleanup

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tradernick, Aug 17, 2004.

1. tradernick

tradernick Coin Hoarder

WOW what a wild weekend. Trees down in the yard, driveway and one on our houseguests car. All the chainsaws have been very happy :)

No damage to the store or home, thank goodness. I hope to open completely on Wednesday. The shop has power but at home there's no power at all, though phone and water have been restored.

Just wanted to type a quick hello...tons of stuff to get done.

Hope everyone is having a great week.
    Nick

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jody526

jody526 New Member

Glad you all are OK Nick.

Anything I can do, don't hesitate to ask.

4. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

Glad you're okay. Hope the cleanup goes well. :)

5. National dealer

National dealer New Member

Good to hear that you and the store are okay.

6. ziggy29

ziggy29 Senior Member

Glad to hear it. I only wish that others I've heard from were as lucky. I've heard from one dealer in Port Charlotte who wasn't so lucky -- their home was very heavily damaged and now they await the insurance hassles.

7. rbm86

rbm86 Coin Hoarder

I was wondering how you fared through the hurricane, it looked like Orlando was hit pretty hard. Glad to hear everything is OK. I have relatives in Jacksonville who are very relieved as well!! :)

8. Ed Zak

Ed Zak New Member

Sorry Charley...

I live about 10 miles south of Daytona...right smack in the Northeast quadrant of the storm. Let me tell you, the sounds I heard at 10:45 PM that night were something else. Winds peaked at over 90 MPH as it hit.

Lost power for over 48 hours...nothing like sleeping in 99% humidity and 90 degree weather for almost three nights. Ever take a shower only to keep on sweating after you get out of the shower?...NOT PRETTY!

In any case, I lost about 5 rows of shingles near the top ridge vent, my screen, 3 trees, and the whole town smelled like a Christmas tree lot in December with yard waste all around.

It could have been worst like in SW Florida where they got the full force at 145 MPH winds, but that is why I have been quiet (in the forum) for awhile. Anyways, my leg muscles are shot from carrying asphalt shingles up and down extension ladders as the sun beats on you. NOT FUN!

I grew in Buffalo and had my share of blizzards and snow...but I will tell you, I'll take snow over Hurricane force winds and rain anyday! When a blizzard hit in Buffalo, we had a party...played billards, cards, and threw on an extra blanket at night...no big deal. Fired up the snow blower and dug out...NEVER had to replace roofs or homes in my town...NEVER!

Even had time to look through lots of coins! Imagine that!

I am thankful I was on the exit path of Charley! BTW...still love my Bills!

9. joesmom

joesmom Member

Nick and Ed...Glad to hear that y'all came through the hurricane with minimal damage. I agree with Ed, I'd take a snowstorm over that any day. I grew up in Wisconsin and used to love it when a good blizzard would hit...snuggle down in front of the fire and get cozy. Good luck with the clean-up guys.

10. collect4fun

collect4fun Senior Member

Nick & Ed, I'm glad that the two of you are safe.

Should I send coins to your relief fund? ;)

11. Ed Zak

Ed Zak New Member

Please send all donations/rare coins to the Salvation Army in Charlotte County, FL. They will do much better with the money than yours truly.

I haven't seen widespread damage like this since Andrew of 1992! They sure can use it.

12. rolltide

rolltide Member

I don't mean this ugly......but I hope a hurricane or tornado hits a coin shop! Man...I'd be metal detecting for weeks straight!!!

13. Dockwalliper

Dockwalliper Coin Hoarder

Why?

Ed, Why did you leave sunny Buffalo? I'll never understand why someone would live in a place where your home get destroyed every 10 years or so.

Go Bills :)

14. Ed Zak

Ed Zak New Member

I graduated from Niagara University in 1982. Unemployment was near 14%. I had to leave town to find work which I did in Chicago. Chicago is great for it is just like Buffalo (sports, food, and people), but with 10 times more people and things to do. Unfortuately, job transfers eventually landed me in Florida which I didn't mind because of NO state income tax and real estate taxes that are about a quarter of what my parents were paying in Buffalo.

I moved there in November thinking this weather is great considering what I was missing up north. Being single at the time and seeing skin at least 11 months out of the year, I thought I was on vacation all of the time!

But then I got married to a Florida girl, had kids, got divorced, and pretty much that is why I am live here. I don't mind because I have a decent life minus what my ex gets EVERY freakin' month! My boys are learning about numismatics and we wear the red-white-blue Bills colors every Sunday in the fall. [I was founder and President of the Bills Backers in Orlando, FL...probably one of the reasons why my ex got "re-born" and left me].

So that's the story...I still go up and visit my neighbors in Cheektowaga (land of crabapple) and talk about playing street hockey and football till we couldn't see anymore. I still miss it...not the taxes and cost of living...but the people and the chip on all Buffalo Bills fan's shoulders when we hear "wide right".

15. tradernick

tradernick Coin Hoarder

As a Floridian my first response is this: BLEH :p

I would also point out that Hurricanes may come every few years but the all-consuming, relentless Buffalo winters happen every year and last much longer than our storms.

I think I'll continue to enjoy my yard of banana trees and palms while I idly snicker about things like snow tires and heating fuel costs.

:cool: :D :cool:

Nick

16. joecoin

joecoin New Member

Not only that, you can be a Dolphins fan! It doesn't get any better than that!

Draft saved Draft deleted