Hunting Lincoln Pennies - are these results typical?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by VT4Pac, May 25, 2018.

1. VT4Pac

VT4Pac Active Member

Hi everyone, so I'm relatively new to the whole hunting for error coins thing and recently finished going through all of these pennies. I was searching for varieties found in the Cherrypicker's guide and the "Strike it Rich" book.

These pennies are all random, collected from family and friends, with nothing from rolls. My results are as follows:

- 2 minor lamination error coins
    - 2 DDO's - both 2006 fairly common, nothing special
    - 14 wheat pennies
    - pennies from various dates in good condition I'm keeping
    - a pile of "whatsits?" that are probably PMD but I'm going to look into further
    - 6 coins with die breaks but only one with four on it that's probably a decent find

I am kind of learning as I go and probably missed some. But, for those of you that hunt Lincolns regularly are these results typical? Would you figure I'd find more or less having gone through this quantity of coins? The old whiskey jug is a gallon I believe.

Anyways, I appreciate any feedback and I'm going to keep pushing on. I'll be getting a 5 gallon water jug of pennies soon from my uncle that he's built up over decades.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

Well I personally never kept track but I believe each CRH has different results from what I have seen on cointalk. JMO
    Dave

VT4Pac likes this.
  4. Richard gladfelter

Richard gladfelter Well-Known Member

Do you have pictures of the 2 DDO?

5. Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81 Well-Known Member

Not sure how many pennies were in your search lot but I recently went through about 1500 pennies and found less than you did so I think you did well. I think I ended up with about 6 or 7 wheats and a few other low mintage years plus some just to fill holes in my folders.

6. VT4Pac

VT4Pac Active Member

Hi Richard, I am attaching pics of what I believe is the better of the two. I think it matches up with the 2006 1¢ WDDO-013 “Best Of” Variety that can be found here http://doubleddie.com/303301.html

I apologize in advance for the pic quality, lighting, etc. I really struggled trying to get the close ups of the die markers. I did some side by side pics with the examples from the website. Anyways I'm new to this and if anyone more knowledgeable concludes this isn't what I think it is, please take me to school.

I forgot to mention I also found a pretty sweet looking 1983 "BIE" error penny that looks pretty cool.

Attached Files:

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  7. VT4Pac

VT4Pac Active Member

Cool, I appreciate the feedback. That was my first time going through that many so I didn't really know what to expect.

8. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

Good eye for detail! As you go along, you will have boxes that pay out and others that you cant find anything. There is cool stuff out there to be found still.

VT4Pac likes this.
  9. VT4Pac

VT4Pac Active Member

Thanks coloradobryan, yeah I'm excited to go through a 5 gallon water jug soon and I think I'll make some cool finds. I'm looking forward to my first find worthy of upgrading from a cardboard 2x2 to one of those fancy PCGS slabs lol.

10. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

Ill send stuff to anacs if its not worthy of pcgs.

11. VT4Pac

VT4Pac Active Member

Yeah that's probably something I should consider. I have a few coins I'd like to submit but am not totally sure how well they'd grade.

Anacs definitely seems like the more economical choice for a beginner like me. I reckon if they do well I can then send them to pcgs later if I want. Thanks for the input!

Draft saved Draft deleted