Hunt Catalog of Greek & Roman Coins Arrived Today

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Al Kowsky, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Today the auction catalog of The Nelson Bunker Hunt Collection of Highly Important Greek and Roman Coins, Sotheby's, NYC, June 19, 1990, arrived in the mail :D. The selection of coins is breathtaking :jawdrop:! Unfortunately there wasn't a Prices Realized list with the catalog :(. Do any CT members have a copy of this list they could e-mail to me? It would be greatly appreciated :).

Sotheby's, N.B. Hunt,June 19, 1990.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'm pretty sure mine came with a prices realized list but it's packed in a box, crated, and awaiting transit. If no one has sent you a list by the time my stuff arrives (mid January??) I'll scan it for you.

4. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Did you get all five volumes?

I know the post office is slow, but that took 29 years to get to you?

:troll:

TypeCoin971793 and octavius like this.
  5. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That was a fun read until it veered off into horse racing and buying hockey teams. I'd much rather read about ancient coin wheeling and dealing!

7. Al Kowsky

Despite his unbridled greed Hunt formed the finest private collection of ancient coins ever assembled. I've seen used copies of the catalog sell for over $200 :jawdrop:, & managed to score this copy in new condition with original dust jacket for $16 from FORVM ANCIENT COINS :smuggrin:. So I guess it was worth waiting 29 years for :p. I do have another catalog from that collection pictured below.

[​IMG]

panzerman and PlanoSteve like this.
  8. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Al, If you haven't acquired the PR's for this yet, send me a PM with your email and I will scan these (I have part 1 and 2, June, 1990).

panzerman likes this.
  9. harrync

harrync Well-Known Member

I don't have the Hunt catalog, but I do have the catalogs for the Metropolitan Museum sale, that was the source of many of the Hunt coins. The Met sale was a bit controversial, for several reasons. It broke up what was perhaps the finest aureus collection ever assembled. There was an attempt to have it transferred to the ANS, but the Met would not agree. [There was talk that the Hunt brothers, major Met donors, put pressure on the Met to go through with the sale, because they coveted some of those coins.] The excuse for the sale was the Met needed three million dollars to buy this fantastic Greek vase. The final irony was that the vase was looted, and the Met had to give it up. So the Met ended up with no coins, no vase, no three million dollars.

PlanoSteve and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  10. Al Kowsky

Irony works in strange ways doesn't it :smuggrin:...

11. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Well, if it wasn't strange, it wouldn't be ironic

12. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Imagine what that collection would fetch at todays auction prices!!!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted