Hungary Rare (and Thick) Double Schautaler (St. Georgstaler)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Zohar444, May 12, 2016.

1. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

This is my Baltimore show random raw pickup which I found in a dealer's table. A very scarce 2 Show Taler (Schautaler). I could only find one auction reference. This one weighs 61 grams. Will get this imaged properly yet hopefully the designwork comes across with these.

1750s. Austria - Habsburg Territories. Cities in the Habsburg lands. Kremnitz Mint. Rare Dicker Double Schautaler (St. Georgstaler), ND (18th Century Issue). Engraved by Heinrich Fuchs. 61.74gr. Obv: St. George riding right, slaying the dragon. Reverse: Wind god blows to right. Christ and two apostles on ship. Huszar (Voglhuber 23, listed as a simple Schautaler). RR Very attractive item. Huszar has this piece as engraved by Heinrich Fuchs who worked at the Kremnitz mint during the mid-18th century. He suspects that under the wing of the dragon on the left is the medalist’s signature. NGC AU-55.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. doppeltaler

doppeltaler Well-Known Member

Great find ! Thanks for sharing the edge photo. I have a silver 2 ducats that is supposed to be double thick. But i never got to see the edge.
    I can only imagine the multiple thaler's (löser) edge would look like :)

Draft saved Draft deleted