Hungary Artex Restrikes

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Jaelus, Jun 29, 2016.

1. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

It's real. I am sure it has an 'S' mint mark on the reverse. 1878-1882 San Francisco Morgan dollars were struck very nicely, and are the pinnacle of coin manufacture for that period in the U.S.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. I found one more fake 5 Pengo:[​IMG]

and a modern fake also, this one is silver plated:[​IMG]
    Kalman.

Jaelus likes this.
  4. Just found this 5 pengo, I have never seen one like it but I am sure its a fake!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Yes, definitely a fake. There were contemporary counterfeits of the 5K coins, but this one is a modern fake.

6. Hello, I would like to ask if this Coin below is an ARTEX issue? Thank you, Kalman.
    [​IMG]

7. Jaelus

Yes.

8. Hi I have recently started collecting silver & gold coins from the period 1930 - 1945, I am only after originals and just one coin of each type out there (not all years all mint marks), but I do want as close to uncirculated condition as I can find, I found this topic very interesting and must say @Jaelus you have the patience of a Saint, I was wondering if I could revive this topic and enlist your help on these two coins that I have seen that I like, what I need to know is whether or not these are original coins or restrikes, once I find the right coin to buy that will be it for that coin type.

Yours sincerely Silverfinger

9. Here is one of the coins I am interested in buying, I just want to know if its possible from these to determine whether or not its a restrike (I am after an original).

Yours sincerely Silver

realorrestrike1.jpg realorrestrike2.jpg

panzerman likes this.
  10. Jaelus

Tough one. I'm leaning toward it being a dipped original. It could be an impaired proof. What's the weight?

11. Firstly thankyou so much for giving me your time and expertise, I will do my best not to drive you mad, once I find the right coin I will be happy so I wont keep asking about the same thing, I don't have this coin and I do not know if the information they have put about it is what they have copied and pasted from a site like Numista, here is what has been put, I will email him and ask him too what the weight is, I dont mind if its been cleaned in the past as I dont have coins graded, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder to me.

here is what is on his listing

Composition Silver (.640)
    Weight 25g
    Diameter 36mm
    Thickness 2.9mm

12. He has another for sale also a little cheaper, here is the pics of that one, I have emailed him asking for the weights of them both.
    Either of these I would be more than happy with.

realorrestrikeA.jpg
    realorrestrikeB.jpg

13. He contacted me and says that what he put down was what he noted off the actual coins, I have used him many times and been happy, he reckons restrikes are more expensive too.
    I like either of these but unless you would be happy buying from those pictures as original then I will keep my eye out for another one :)

14. Jaelus

That one looks original to me, but cleaned.

15. Thankyou for your help, the dealer reckons that the first coin is in the best condition of the two I have shown here, when you say 'impaired proof' , do you mean an original 1930's production proof that has something wrong with it ?

16. Jaelus

There are no original proofs. The proofs are the restrikes. An impaired proof is one that has been mishandled - not a details coin, but hairlined.

The proof restrikes were done in the 60s, and were made for the international collector market. They should be in PF66-PF69 condition today. Anything below PF66 I consider to be impaired for these restrikes.

Silverfinger© likes this.
  17. Ahh I see, thank you so much I am slowly learning, I don't rush into things these days as that can lead to buying something I regret.

18. mikes01

mikes01 New Member

Hello, i bought this one and can u tell me please if its original or restrike? Seller was guaranting original.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Your pictures have not worked (for me anyway)

20. mikes01

mikes01 New Member

21. No idea as I am fairly new, this is a mission for @Jaelus

Draft saved Draft deleted