Hungary Artex Restrikes

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Jaelus, Jun 29, 2016.

1. I am looking at purchasing this at the moment. It is said to be an ARTEX re-strike. I think it may be, but if it is unlike any of the 5 I have. Any thoughts? Thank you, Kalman. [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

It's possible. Based on these pictures alone, nothing is jumping out at me that says it's definitely a restrike versus a high grade PL original (which are plentiful). You can tell sometimes by the surfaces, but the way these photos are taken to highlight the cameo, I can't see enough to use that as a diagnostic. Many of the Artex restrikes have telltale planchet defects or rim marks - I'm not seeing any in these photos, but that is by no means conclusive. I've got an MS67 PL original and a PF66 UCAM restrike, both NGC slabbed. If I put them side by side with the labels covered you'd be hard pressed to tell which is which.

4. I agree with you, its not an ARTEX, but likely a PL original.
    Below are my very first no precious metals coins! I guess you could say that they are purely numismatic in value :).[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

chrisild likes this.
  5. On another topic, this Morgan must be a fake?
    [​IMG]

6. Jaelus

Nice restrikes. There's also the 1868KB 4 Krajczar restrike in that set (copper from the Forint period 1867-1892). It's pretty easy to find one.

7. I found one, it is a Gem Proof piece! What do you think, how high a grade is it, is it a cameo? Regards, Kalman.
    [​IMG]

Ps- What do you think of the 79 Morgan Dollar earlier above, too perfect, is it strange to you in any way? Can it be fake. Just never seen one that clean before.

8. Also, i just got this nice little ARTEX bird :) I am still thinking about getting the above 1938 St Itvan?
    [​IMG]

9. Jaelus

Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks in the PF64-66 range. I don't think I've ever seen one with cameo. The Morgan looks suspicious to me, but I'm not an expert on Morgans.

I wouldn't buy that piece. The surfaces are too hazy. You'd have to dip it and then it's unknown what it would look like. There are plenty of nicer PL examples out there.

I like the alu-bronze issues. Are you going for the entire Artex restrike set? It's very challenging to complete. Some issues only had a few pieces struck, and many pieces had 2-4 types made, not including planchet changes.

10. I like the Artex restrikes, whatever I can get I am happy with :). My favorite coin is the 1938 St Istvan 5 Pengo, I must have had some as a child; I think, as it reminds me of my childhood, I was 11 when I immigrated from Hungary to Australia, and I didn't have the chance to take anything nor to say goodby to friends and my grandmother, so, I guess it just make me nostalgic. I would like to find a super nice PL st Istvan, so far I cannot find really top end piece.
    [​IMG]
    I am looking at this 1870 piece, how valuable are these coins 300 -700 Hundred?
    Also, the Artex pictures you have on collectivecoin, is that the whole collection of Artex examples?
    regards, Kalman.

11. Jaelus

The 1870 ducat is one of the nicer restrikes to own I think, since it's very difficult to find an original. Depending on grade, it's in the price range you indicated. I'd say a PF63 would fall on your low end, and the top end of your price range would be a PF68. MS67/PF67 is a very obtainable grade for Artex gold restrikes from what I've seen.

I have a good percentage of the restrikes in my collection, but I'm not even close to having the entire set, especially when you take into account all the types.

12. Where would I find a really nice PL 1938 5 Pengo St Istvan Original coin? I look at MA-shops & Ebay & Delcampe and a few others, I am wondering if you have any other ideas to look in? do they come much better than this?[​IMG]

13. Jaelus

Check your inbox. I sent you a message regarding this the other day.

14. Hi, for some reason, my email at (...) is blocking mail derived for this site, I am working with my web-provider to rectify this, but in the meanwhile, could you please re send your message to this temporary email I setup (...) Thank you very much, Kalman.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2017
  15. Jaelus

You should just be able to go to your inbox on the site and view conversations there. You don't need external email. Does this not work for you?

16. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Should work ... As for your latest post, @Kalman Radvanyi , I took the e-mail addresses out of that (publicly visible) message. You can always send Jaelus a private ("Conversation") message with such info. :)

Christian

17. Hi J,
    Merry Christmas. I did send you a reply email the other day, likely work email :).
    What is this??
    969-1969 Hungary Saint Stephanus Silver Medal 23mm. Regards, Kalman.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

panzerman likes this.
  18. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I just got a 5 Pengo Klippe Budapest Mint example from Elsen auction, beautifull coin:).

Kalman Radvanyi likes this.
  19. What is this:
    Details about Österreich-Ungarn - Doppelgulden Kuttenberg - 1887 - Stempelglanz,
    A medal?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted