Hungary Artex Restrikes

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Jaelus, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

1908KB 5 Korona (KM-488, Adamo K7). A nice original. Around AU50 I think.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. I agree, Thank you.
    I am looking at this 5P. Could this be an ARTEX?[​IMG]
    I am trying wrap my mind around the different types.
    1 -there is the original 1938 coin.
    2- than there is the 1965 ARTEX.
    3- than there are other re-strikes-more recent?
    Are these the 3 options?
    Thank you, Kalman.

4. Jaelus

Yes, but first Artex restruck this coin in 1964, not 1965. Don't look at Krause for restrike info, they just put 1965 for everything :rolleyes:. Then the TPGs pick up that bad info and slab some of the restrikes as "1965 Restrike" when they are not. In truth, Artex restruck coins over a period of about 5 years.

The more recent restrikes are easily identifiable so don't worry. You'd never confuse one of the ultra modern restrikes with an original or Artex restrike.

These pictures aren't detailed or well lit enough to really tell if it's an original or a restrike. I would guess original though. Keep in mind they only restruck 1,000 pieces of this type, whereas there were 600,000 originals - and they were and are still plentiful.

5. Hello,
    I found something interesting, apparently this
    1938 St Istvan 5 Pengo is a fake!
    [​IMG]

6. Jaelus

Many of the crown sized silver coins had contemporary fakes. I don't have my books with me, but many are listed in Hungarian catalogs as hamis (fake) strikes, and are collectible. The ones I've seen are easily recognizable if you are very familiar with the coins. The rims are usually very wrong and the details not as sharp as they should be.

7. I have gathered my whole collection of 1938 st Istvan 5 Pengo coins, and have taken images of them, would you be able to advise me as to how I could place them on this thread, they are not online with a link? Thank you, Kalman.

8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

9. Hi Christian, Thank you for that. When I go to the link you provided, the site tells me that " My account is currently awaiting confirmation. Confirmation was sent.." but, I never received an email, I tried many times, even changed the email to another one. I have contacted the people on the site also, but have not received a response. Do you have any ideas, as to what to do ? :), Thanks, Kalman. :).

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Not sure why you're having problems with the confirmation email as they are always sent. But I am reasonably certain if you would use one of the free email providers like Gmail or Yahoo that the problem would be solved.

11. Jaelus

Kalman, I keep my collection on collectivecoin, which is a free site run by Stack's Bowers:
    https://collectivecoin.com/jaelus

12. Hi Christian,

Thank you for that info on the collectivecoin website, I will make my listings soon, and would love your feedback.
    I just made this stunning purchase below!
    Hungary 5 Pengo 1938 Silver Kilppe.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Regards, kalman.

chrisild and Jaelus like this.
  13. Hi Christian,

I so happy with that Klippe purchase, is there a way to grade them?

I have not had the time to catalogue all my 1938 5 Pengos, I must have 30 :), but I will shortly. In the meanwhile, I am still trying to work out the 1938 5 Pengo St Istvan coins. If I may once again ask for your knowledge please. My understanding is that there are 4 variations.

1. Original 1938 "struck" St Istvan 5 Pengo. 600,000
    2. Original 1938 "struck" St Istvan 5 Pengo "PL" These are from the Original 600K.
    3. Authorized ARTEX St Istvan 1964 "struck" St Istvan 5 Pengo. 1,000
    4. And another newer re-strike?

I wonder if you think that my below opinion is correct?
    Option 1, (Original 1938 "struck" St Istvan 5 Pengo ?).
    [​IMG]

Option 2. (Original 1938 "struck" St Istvan 5 Pengo "PL" ?)
    [​IMG]

Option 3. (Authorized ARTEX St Istvan 1964 "struck" St Istvan 5 Pengo ?)
    [​IMG]

Option 4. Another newer re-strike? I don't know what they look like? are most of the coins available on eBay new re-strikes, or just really nice originals? When were the non "authorized - ARTEX" coins struck, and what do they look like?
    Thank you,
    Kalman.

14. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Sorry, cannot help you here ... I find those pieces, whether klippe or classic round restrikes, quite appealing, but that is about where my "knowledge" regarding these issues ends. ;) Hope that somebody more knowledgeable sees (and replies to) this.

Christian

15. Hi Jaelus. Can you help wiyh my question above, regarding the 1938 pengos? Thank you, Kalman.

16. Jaelus

NGC would be your best bet. They slab those in oversize holders. My guess based on those photos alone, would be that it would get a PF66 UCAM as it is, but that it would have a good shot at a 67 with some appropriate conservation.

Yes, I think so.

The post-Artex silver and gold restrikes in general have the fineness struck somewhere on the coin (usually the reverse). These were very low mintage strikes and go for more than the Artex pieces due to the scarcity. There are also bullion versions of the Szt. Istvan 5P which do not have all the legends and are also easy to spot. Then there are also fakes.

17. So, this would be a 1938 struck genuine coin below:[​IMG]

Regards, Kalman.

chrisild likes this.
  18. Jaelus

Most likely. Good to post the reverses with these as well.

19. Dear Jaeus. Do you have an image of the bullion versions of the Szt. Istvan 5P, that are unofficial re-strikes. I would like to be able to work out which coins are not originals.

20. Jaelus

Not offhand, but like I said, it's impossible to confuse them with the other strikes.

21. I found a fake one from china:[​IMG]

Jaelus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted