Hungary Artex Restrikes

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Jaelus, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

That one is a restrike.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. An Artex one?

4. Jaelus

Yes. There are a couple planchet defects on the reverse that are not uncommon on the silver Artex restrikes.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

5. [​IMG]
    Thank you for all your wisdom in teaching me regarding this amazing hobby.

I would like to buy a Hungary 5 Pengo 1939 Silver Kilppe Restrike Proof, I found the below and above image from an eBay seller, offered at around US280.00, my concern is that it is located in China, but from a reputable seller. Do you know how to look for signs of this being authentic or fake?

Thank you,

Kalman.

[​IMG]

Theodosius likes this.
  6. Hello ,
    I am still trying to work out how to tell if this 5 Pengo is original or Artex or recent restrike. What would make you decide on it? Thank you. Kalman.[​IMG]

Theodosius likes this.
  7. Jaelus

My suggestion would be to acquire some Hungarian catalogs that include restrikes, such as ifj. Adamovszky István: Magyar Érmekatalógus 1848-2012.

There aren't any known fakes of the klippes. Modern fakes are all obvious to spot if you know the coins too. Modern restrikes are almost all clearly marked with a restrike mark. The Szt. Istvan looks original too.

The process for identifying them is like this:
    • Does this type/date have a known restrike? If not, it's genuine.
    • If yes, do restrikes of this type/date have a restrike mark? If yes, check for the mark.
    • If no, or if there are multiple restrike types, some with and some without markings, then you have to look for evidence of the coin being an original strike or a restrike. This is the only part that can be challenging.
    This can be, as I explained earlier, looking for something like a die state, or die marker that would never be found on a restrike, or something unique about the finish or toning that suggests one or the other. For example, some of the earlier coins that were restruck used one particular die pair for the restrikes, but originals used additional dies. If the coin was struck from one of the other dies, then obviously it cannot be a restrike. You won't find a better way of learning this than to just immerse yourself in studying the originals and restrikes.

The TPGs get it wrong not infrequently by the way. I've seen close to 10 obvious restrikes (with restrike marks!) slabbed as originals, and many that are obvious modern unmarked proof restrikes, slabbed as originals. I've even seen obvious originals that were slabbed as restrikes, despite restrikes for the type always having restrike marks, and the coin in the slab not having them. My point is, identifying these restrikes is a specialization, and the TPGs do not currently employ people who can do it.

8. Thank you very much for your help again.
    I have found the below 1939 Pengo. What is you opinion on it, original? Kindest regards, Kalman. [​IMG]

9. and also this 38P.[​IMG] this one looks really nice. could it be an ARTEX?

10. another stunner:[​IMG] any thought you have on them are very much appreciated.

11. Jaelus

Kalman, my tips above are to help you to form your own opinions on these. Based on what I've said so far in this thread, I'd like to hear what your opinions are on these coins before I weigh in on them.

12. Sure, I will give it a try.
    The 1939 looks to dull, compared to the official Artex example. But would that make it a rare original or a recent re strike.[​IMG]

I am looking at the image sourced from the artexveret.hu site. To me the first 1938 5P could be an Artex, and the above one perhaps an original?. When they have no rosette or UP or U.P, perhaps its best to look for the shine on the surface? The lip on the first 1938 one looks ever so thicker looking from the top? The last 1938 is perhaps an original? How did I go :). Thank you, Kalman.[​IMG]

13. Jaelus

Originals for the 1939 Horthy aren't particularly rare. The 1938 dated version is extremely rare, and the earlier 1930 type is very scarce in high grades. The 1939 Horthy 5P is an original.

I agree the first Szt. Istvan could be a restrike, but I think it is most likely a PL original (that's where it gets tricky). PL originals are tough to tell apart from restrike proofs. You really have to see the coin in hand. The second Szt. Istvan, I agree with you that it's an original.

14. I am looking at buying a larger collection of 1 Korona coins, 15 pieces, would you tell me your opinion please, can these be real, do they make re-strikes in this pattern? It looks original to me, and I don't think there are Artex re-strikes in this 1 Korona? Can this be a more recent strike, or fake? Thank you very much, Kalman.
    [​IMG]

15. Jaelus

An interesting story. In the early 1960s the Hungarian Mint discovered a trove of older mint holdings in a vault, which included the dies that would be used for the Artex restrikes, but in the vault also were bags of many older forint (typically MS61-63) and korona (typically MS63-65), along with smaller quantities of other coins, such as the 2 korona. These originals were offered by Artex to collectors along with the restrikes. There were sufficient quantities of original mint state koronas available that they decided not to restrike the later type (1912-1916) at all, and of the earlier type they only restruck 1894 and then only a few pieces were struck (I've never seen one). There was also a modern restrike of the 1892 which is easily distinguished from an original. Here are the modern restrike sets: http://www.apvveret.hu/csomagolasok/index.php

16. I purchased some of the 1914 1Korona's, once I receive them I will post images of them.
    [​IMG]
    May I ask if you think this 5 Pengo is an Artex- I think it may be.

17. Jaelus

My impression from these photos is that it is probably a PL original, however, I can't tell conclusively.

18. Dear Jaelus,
    I have trouble making a post here again.
    Regards, Kalman.

19. Dear Jaelus, I think it worked now :). The below two images are of a new piece of 1908 5 Korona coin in my collection. I am super happy to get it. I think it looks like an original 1908 struck coin. Would you have any ideas on it Jaelus?
    Thanks so much, Kalman from Australia.

Draft saved Draft deleted