Hungary Artex Restrikes

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Jaelus, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Artex was a company owned and operated by the Hungarian mint for producing restrikes of classic Hungarian coins in the mid 1960s. Restrikes of dozens of coins were produced, including patterns, and klippes, and the quality of the restrikes were excellent. Most had 1,000 pieces struck, but some had very few (even in the single digits) or several thousand struck.

There are several ways of identifying an Artex restrike. For smaller coins, most have a rosette added either on the obverse before the legend for silver, or for base metal coins, on the reverse below the mint mark or above the denomination. For larger coins, most have a UP somewhere, usually near the mint mark. For some coins (I believe exclusively with smaller gold restrikes), the coins are unmarked but use dates that had no original issues struck. Some restrikes for types with a lettered edge were restruck with a plain edge instead. I've seen types that have as many as three Artex restrike versions, each identifiable through a different marker than the others.

Some restrikes are completely unmarked or have unmarked variants. This is especially true for the large silver (5 Korona) and gold (100 Korona) restrikes. Confusingly, original proofs of these were struck, so you have both original proofs and unmarked proof restrikes. If anyone knows of a good way to tell the difference for these (die markers for example) please post it up here as well.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

How do these price compared with original strikes?

4. Jaelus

It varies. For many types, the restrikes command prices much higher than an original strike. For others it's cheaper. Most of the common silver restrikes can be found for around $100. Base metal restrikes tend to go for $20-$60. Restrikes for patterns or extremely scarce issues go for much more. The quality of the restrikes is exceptionally good, unlike the more modern restrikes done in the last decade.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

5. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

@Jaelus , I hope you don't mind if I post a few of these restrikes. I find the Klippe pieces to be particularly superb. The die work and detail and just awesome. Thanks for posting some of the details of the history for these restrikes. :cool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. JeffM-Houston

JeffM-Houston Active Member

Thanks for the informative post, and excellent examples brg.

7. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

I picked up this little guy in an auction last night -- should have in a week or so. This is one of the 1960s restrikes, originals were issued in 1896 but not in proof.

[​IMG]

Chris B, Seba79 and Jaelus like this.
  8. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

Very nice Brandon!

9. Jaelus

Here's an interesting set I just picked up, a set of the three Artex proof restrike pattern klippes (1965) in their original presentation case.

From left to right:
    • 5 Pengo - Szent Laszlo X-PN12.2
      1929BP (1,084 pieces struck) 45mm x 45mm
    • 2 Pengo - Rakoczi Ferenc X-PN11.2
      1935BP (1,011 pieces struck) 35mm x 35mm
    • 5 Pengo - Szent Istvan X-PN13.2
      1938BP (1,091 pieces struck) 45mm x 45mm
    The uneven reported mintage on these klippes suggests that not all were sold in these sets. Based on what I've seen for other Artex distributed presentation sets, these sets were limited editions. A friend of mine also has this same set with case, so I had fortunately gotten to inspect one before in person. These particular klippes were also sold as a part of two other larger sets of restrikes.

Sorry for the quality of the shots (seller pics), but @brg5658 has already graciously posted pics of beautiful examples of two out of three of these klippe restrikes earlier in this thread.

klippes.jpg

inside_lid.jpg

outside_lid.jpg

There were a total of 5 klippe restrikes produced by Artex, the 3 patterns in this presentation set, as well as a 2 Pengo - Pazmany University (1935), and a 1 Taler - Franz Joseph I (1896). The Pazmany University 2 Pengo was a very low mintage business strike (50k struck) though is incorrectly listed as a pattern in Unusual World Coins. The Taler was a commemorative issue produced in 1896 and is the only one of the five pieces for which original klippes exist.

Here are some shots of my 1896KB Franz Joseph I Taler klippe restrike (NGC PF67 UCAM). Unfortunately I don't yet have an example of the Pazmany University klippe.

s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg

All five klippes were sold in a similar but larger presentation set as the set above, with the larger Taler klippe in the center, the pair of 5 Pengo klippes above on either side, and the pair of 2 Pengo klippes below on either side. The three pattern klippes were also sold in a third set encased in plexi-glass with their restrike coin equivalents. The plexi-glass set was distributed in the US through the Franklin Mint.

10. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Lovely pieces all.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  11. Hello,
    My name is Kalman, from Australia. I am new to this site; and would really like some assistance if possible please. I collect Hungarian coins and would like feedback as to whether the below images are ARTEX re-trikes coins? Thank you. Kalman.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mlov43 and Seba79 like this.
  12. Jaelus

Sure no problem.

The Pazmany is definitely an Artex proof restrike.

These two are both definitely Artex proof restrikes. The 1909KB 5K is an Artex UP restrike, the 1907KB 5K is an unmarked Artex restrike.

The 5P is likely original.

The 1907KB 5K is definitely an Artex UP Restrike. The 5P is likely original.

Again, the 5P is likely original (PL-ish).

Caveat, I consider the 5P the toughest coin to identify between originals and restrikes, not just the Szent Istvan version, but also the Horthy 5Ps. These were all popular commemoratives (especially the Szent Istvan) that were not typically put into circulation are readily available in high uncirculated grades as originals, with many originals being proof-like. The Artex restrikes for them are all unmarked, and many have business strike finishes instead of proof-like finishes. Note many of the Artex restrikes (especially from the Horthy era) were deliberately struck with different finishes, so you will see varieties that are MS, MSPL, PF, and matte PF.

Seba79 likes this.
  13. Dear Jaelus,

Thank you very much for the prompt and kind reply. Would you by any chance have images or know where I can find images that show the different appearance of an 1960's ARTEX vs ORIGINAL vs recently struck Pengos' and Koronas'?

I have some photo's of other Pengo's and Korona's in Jpegs on my laptop, is there a way I can post those images without it being on the web?

I am also curious to find out about these below coins? Really do appreciate your time in responding.
    kindest regards, from Australia. Kalman Radvanyi.

:[​IMG] [​IMG]
    HUNGARY SILVER 1 FORINT 1892 (PROOF!)

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    AUSTRIA SILVER 20 KREUZER 1803 (UNC)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    AUSTRIA SILVER 20 KREUZER 1830 -E (UNC)

Seba79 and Theodosius like this.
  14. Jaelus

The 1892KB Forint you posted is an Artex restrike proof as well. The others are original. Artex did not restrike any Hungarian coins dated prior to 1868. Having said that, there were other Hungarian restrikes made prior to the Artex restrikes, and also post Artex restrikes, so a coin can be a restrike without being an Artex restrike.

I have a significant portion of the Artex restrikes (including varieties) and originals in my collection, and I've compared countless other examples of the restrikes and originals over the years. The best way to determine originality with the 5P is with magnification. It's very tough to do via photo (though sometimes the appearance in a photo is conclusively original or restrike).

What are you trying to do exactly?

15. Thank you for that information. I enjoy collecting 3 main categories of Hungarian coins, *5 Korona's 1900-1909, *5 Korona's 1907 Coronation, *5 Pengo 1938. I have several of each and would like to find out how to tell with magnification if they are Original or Artex restrikes or Standard restrikes?

Thank you again,
    Kindest regards, Kalman.

16. Jaelus

So you're collecting the classic/modern Hungarian taler equivalents? That's a popular set, though there are more coins in the set than you've listed, especially if you include restrikes.

As for the 5K 1900-1909, there are two types of restrikes dated 1900 (one unmarked and one with rosette on the obverse), one type dated 1907 (with UP on the reverse), and one type dated 1909 (with UP on the reverse). There's also a modern "restrike" of the 1909 with a UP, but it's a fake and is underweight.

The 1907 coronation 5K had two types of restrikes, both unmarked and with a UP on the obverse.

The 1938 5 Pengo had one unmarked restrike, but with a relatively large number struck. There were also unmarked and UP restrikes made of one of the patterns of this coin.

It's really only the unmarked restrikes that can be challenging to identify. Many of the restrikes have marks (like a rosette or UP for these larger coins). Other denomination restrikes sometimes used an alternate date for which originals were not struck, differences in the edge detail, or are otherwise obvious to distinguish in some other way.

For unmarked Artex restrikes of larger coins, sometimes you can tell a restrike by the rim, but usually you have to go by the surfaces. You're basically looking for a finish that isn't seen on originals. This is hard to describe unless you're very familiar with these. For some coins like the Szent Istvan where you see a larger variety of surface types on originals and a large number of survivors in high grades, you have to look for other clues. I look for bag marks, die lines, die cracks, clash marks, and toning, which can sometimes give a clue as to originality. For example, later strikes of the 1907 coronation 5K had a clashed obverse. You'll never see a clashed obverse on a restrike. Things like that. Again, it comes from looking at tons of these over time and getting a feel for them.

Here are some links to coins in my personal collection of these denominations if you want to see examples:

Originals (5 Korona):
    1907KB 5 Korona (Coronation) MS64
    1908KB 5 Korona MS63
    1922 5 Korona Pattern KE5 Copper Nickel MS65

Originals (5 Pengo)
    1930BP 5 Pengo (Horthy Miklos) MS65
    1938BP 5 Pengo (Szent Istvan) MS67 (semi-prooflike)
    1938BP 5 Pengo (Szent Istvan) MS66
    1939BP 5 Pengo (Horthy Miklos) MS63
    1943BP 5 Pengo (Horthy Miklos) MS64
    1945BP 5 Pengo MS63

Artex Restrikes (Taler):
    1896KB UP Restrike Taler (Millennium) PF66
    1896KB UP Restrike Taler Klippe (Millennium) PF67 Ultra Cameo
    1896KB UP Restrike 1.25 Taler (Millennium) PF66 Cameo

Artex Restrikes (5 Korona):
    1896KB UP Restrike 5 Korona (Millennium Pattern) PF67 Ultra Cameo
    1907KB Unmarked Restrike 5 Korona (Coronation) PF67
    1907KB UP Restrike 5 Korona (Coronation) PF65
    1909KB UP Restrike 5 Korona PF66

Artex Restrikes (5 Pengo):
    1929BP UP Restrike 5 Pengo (Szent Laszlo Pattern) PF67 Ultra Cameo
    1929BP UP Restrike 5 Pengo Klippe (Szent Laszlo Pattern) PF67 Ultra Cameo
    1930BP Unmarked Restrike 5 Pengo (Horthy Miklos) PF65
    1938BP Unmarked Restrike 5 Pengo (Szent Istvan) PF66 Ultra Cameo
    1938BP UP Restrike 5 Pengo (Szent Istvan Pattern) PF67 Cameo
    1938BP UP Restrike 5 Pengo Klippe (Szent Istvan Pattern) PF66 Ultra Cameo
    1943BP Unmarked Restrike 5 Pengo (Horthy Miklos) PF64
    1945BP Unmarked Restrike 5 Pengo (Pattern) MS66
    1945BP Unmarked Restrike 5 Pengo MS64

There's also a silver 1948 20 Forint that's sometimes considered part of the taler set (and a proof restrike version of the same coin):

1948BP 20 Forint (Tancsics Mihaly) MS63
    1948BP Unmarked Restrike 20 Forint (Tancsics Mihaly) PF66 Ultra Cameo

17. That is fantastic information!! Thank you. Do you think we could make a pictorial page and line up Original, Artex and recent restrike and Fake Hungarian coins, in the 5 Korona and 5 Pengo, perhaps all in one table, and point out the obvious differences. You mentioned underweight, by how much?

What do you think about this 2 Pengo 1935 Restruck 1965 Silver Proof Klippe #A7, is it authentic? I am considering acquiring it. Do they come as fakes?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have two examples of fake coins below. I am only new to coin collecting, but I am an artist with ADHD so I recognize anomalies :)
    [​IMG]
    I found this fake modern "restrike" of the 1909 with a UP or without? Its from China. that you mentioned?[​IMG]
    This one is from India, the outer circle on the rim is extra wide!

Seba79 and Theodosius like this.
  18. Jaelus

The klippe is original. I don't know of any fakes for those, but also the patina is fairly typical of the ones sold by Artex in partnership with the Franklin Mint, which were in velvet-lined cases.

Yes that 1909 is another modern fake. There are contemporary counterfeits like the one with the larger rim as well, but certainly some may be modern.

Are you trying to identify the Artex restrikes so you can avoid them, or are you looking to collect them as well? At the encouragement of several people, I'm actually in the process of writing a book (in English) about Hungarian coins from this period, including Artex restrikes. There are some fairly good resources available, but they are all in Hungarian or German, and none are fully comprehensive.

By the way, a very good online resource for these can be found here:
    http://pengoportal.hu/csomagolasok/index.php
    The coins are broken up by period on that site, but there's great info for almost all of the Artex restrikes there (not quite complete, but fairly comprehensive) and some ultra modern restrikes as well (the official ones tend to be clearly marked).

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    brg5658 and Theodosius like this.
  19. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

I also collect Hungarian (Magyar) coins as well. I will check my
    collection to see what I have. I mainly collect $50 or cheaper
    from dealer dbl. row boxes. I usually wind up with several extras
    after a large show like the recent Denver ANA. This years ANA
    and the spring Balt./Whit. were quite good in this regard.

20. I am glad you are considering writing a book, it is rewarding working with your passion! My best wishes with this project I myself would like to avoid fake coins, and would very much like the originals to Artex to other re-strikes in particular the larger coins "5 Korona's & 5 Pengo's". I think I may have around 25 coins so far in those categories, and would like to learn the knowledge to distinguish between them. That is why I thought that a page that contains all 4 types, including the fake ones, could be helpful and simple to provide a first step for myself and others in understanding this. It will take me a few weeks to gather all my collection together and take photographs. Would you mind if I sent you another post at that time and kindly ask for your opinion, I value your feedback vey much. Thank you, Kalman.

21. I am considering purchasing this lovely coin, do you think it is Artex, from the 60's? Regards, Kalman.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

panzerman and Theodosius like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted