Hungary 1914 10 Filler...Rare?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Joey from Da Bronx, Jun 20, 2015.

1. I've been looking through a plethora of foreign coins that I've had for many years. Using the NGC World Coin on-line price guide, most of 'em are common. A few are worth up to $20 or so. When I looked up a Hungarian 1914KB 10 filler coin, it gave no price in any composition, nickel, brass, or silver. Mine appears to be nickel, a little bigger than our dime. Searching Google I found one place listing it at $800 in about very fine condition (which mine appears to be).
    Can any experts on world coins give me some more info? Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I'm not an expert on the series but the Krause price guide says $200 in VF, which is pretty good. It doesn't say why it's so high but perhaps most were melted for some reason.

4. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

1914 was a transition year. What does the reverse look like?

5. Reverse has a beaded border, a wreath along the bottom, from 3:00 to 9:00,10 FILLER in the center, with K-B below it.

6. Jaelus

The rare 1914 has a wreath that goes almost 360 degrees. Starts at 12:30 and goes around until 11:30. Definitely not the one you're describing.

So yea you have the later one. That's not the rare type.
    It looks like this right? http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces7098.html
    That's the first year of the later type made from CNZ. There's an identical looking one made from iron but it wasn't minted until 1915.

The KB is the mint mark by the way: Kormocbanya.

7. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Krause lists the same price for both coins. Is that an error?

8. Jaelus

So it does. Interesting. Well, the earlier type is definitely the rare one. That type was minted sporadically, with most minted between 1892 and 1895. They were not minted for 10 years after that point, resuming 1906 (very low mintage), and then in 1908-09 (high mintage). When the types transitioned in 1914 some of the 10 fillers were minted (possibly by accident) with an old reverse die (the 1914 obverses are the same). This is the rare type.

Now, it's certainly possible that the 1914 for the later type is also a key date for that type (though it's only a 3 year type). The early type 1914 is explicitly listed as being rare and there are no values listed in the NGC price guide. The 1914 of the later type (KM 494) is listed as $600 for a VF20. The mintage is reported as 4,400,000 for 1914 with nothing listed for 1915 and 1916, so this may be the reported mintage for all three years.

I only type collect Hungarian coins of this period so I'm not really up on the keys. I do know some of what is in Krause is incorrect though for more modern Hungarian coins. I ordered the definitive Hungarian catalog (Adamovszky István's Magyar Érme Katalógus 1848-2010) a couple weeks ago. I'll look it up in there when I receive the book.

9. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Well-Known Member

10. Jaelus

Ok I've got the actual Hungarian coin catalog now. It says that the 1914 of the type you have is a key date and is valuable even in lower grades. It's not ultra rare like the 1914 of the earlier type, but it is a valuable coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted