Huge pet peeve!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by OldSilver, Mar 27, 2012.

1. OldSilver

OldSilver New Member

Oh my goodness. As a coin collector i have a giant pet peeve. I absolutley hate it when a laymen (non coin collector) tries to debate me on a coin fact. Last year, a friend had a presidential dollar that i asked to look at. The class clown then came up behind me and proceeded to explain to me how gold dollars dont exist, and that they dont make dollar coins anymore. I politley told him that i was a coin collector and that he was absolutley wrong and then explained what the presidential dollars were. He went so far as to tell me that his mother works for the US mint (yah right) and that he knew that they dont make dollar coins. I started to get very frustrated but i just said "ok your right" and walked away to leave him in a pool of his own ignorance. About a week ago i had to write an essay in english about whether or not the us should continue to mint pennies (i vomited in my throat every time someone gave their reasons for the penny to be exiled) and this led to me getting into a heated debate with another classmate about what pennies are made of. He said that pennies were made of 100% copper. I explained how pre1983 pennies were primarily copper, but since then they are 99.5% zinc. Again this student (not the same one as the dollar debate) refused to hear it so i walked away leaving him in an ocean of ignorance. Today i went into the computer lab at school to work on a project. My prom date was in there so i happily sat down next to her. I saw a pile of pennies on the ground and she noticed me looking at them and she said "oh!" and pulled a 2009 presidency penny out of her pocket and said "look what i found" i told her what it was and then she said " look how shiny it is. Its made out of a different metal than other pennies" i chuckled and told her that it was shiny simply because it was new and then she tried to tell me that i was wrong. I was hesitant to tell her of my coin hobby because coin collecting is not looked too highly upon by teenage girls ;) anyway if your still reading this im sorry for waisting so much of your time, i just wanted to vent and see if anyone else shared this pet peeve!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Welcome to the world of numismatics.

4. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

It's amazing how much know it alls will tell you about things they are clueless of. Don't let them get to you, Oldsilver. I have drunks try to school me on auto repairs too. I don't know everything, mind you, but I know when someone is full of bull!

5. wheatydigger

wheatydigger Member

It reminds me of a time about 2 weeks ago when someone told me platinum is and has always been more expensive then gold. Surprisingly, no one took my side. One person even told me that he checked the spot prices and gold was more expensive. I guess it is a little known fact that gold is more expensive!

6. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

The funniest thing happened when I was in St Petersburg, Russia. I was on a tour (the only one, and my guide was dual language so she spoke in English to me), and we were at Peterhof, winding our way through. There was a group of people off a cruise ship from Finland, and at several points we were right near an English (think British) speaking guy who was basically conducting his own "tour guide" program with some unfortunate "shipmates". We listened to him and it was so funny how much disinformation he was giving, as well as how he tried to sound like he knew everything about the place. We laughed several times, as well as observing the unfortunate souls who had to somehow make their way away from him.

It made me very glad that I had arranged a private tour. I looked at it later, and I actually probably spent less in my 3 weeks in Russia/Poland and taking some private tours with English speaking guides and being picked up in a private car and not having to wait in lines than those people on the cruise ship from Finland. Crazy isn't it?

7. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

It's really amazing how wrong people can be when the information is readily accessible on the internet to someone who is probably carrying a smart phone to begin with. I personally feel that some people enjoy debate more than anything else.

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Drawing a parallel from an old adage........"You can put a kid in a classroom, but you can't make him learn."

Chris

9. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Yeah... Women don't tend to care much men and coins, but you can be sure that your collection is worth more than her car. THen she might love you forever ;)

10. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Who often butt heads with numisidiot know-it-alls!

11. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

I would of started out my essay like

They are cents not pennies

12. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

I set up a table at the local flea market. I sell Ikes (three for five dollars), Presidential, Sacs and Susan B.'s for a buck and a half, and Kennedy halves for a dollar each. Ninety percent of the people walking by have never even seen these coins. Sales are easy, and my inventory is available at face from the local bank. Therefore, I thank goodness for the ignorance of the general (non-numismatic) public, lol. I wouldn't get to upset if I were you OldSilver.

13. OldSilver

OldSilver New Member

Youd think that when i tell someone im a coin collector, they would think it smart to agree with me

14. gboulton

gboulton 7070 56.98 pct complete

ftfy

15. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

I don't discuss coins anymore with co-workers or friends (unless they're collectors). I've given up trying to explain why someone would pay $200,000 for a penny.

16. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Yet alone $23 for a cent. Tried explaining that one to my cousin. He didn't budge.

17. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

Welcome to life lol. there are people like that everywhere, no matter what subject is being discussed.

18. OldSilver

OldSilver New Member

I feel you. I was looking at a bookmof errors and my friend questioned why something was worth thousands of dollars. I told her that their may be only one of something in the world, for millions of collectors to desire which drives up the price.

19. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Wow. That is amazing that people pay that.

20. Good for you for trying, Old Silver. I do not even attempt to talk about coins anymore with anyone really unless I know they collect. TC

21. splintercellsz

splintercellsz CTs Local DJ

I understand this all to well. Try Highschool. People argue on things they have no idea what it actually is, sych as the ROTC kiddos at my school. Think they know everything there is in the Military & Real World, etc. Makes a good laugh though!

Draft saved Draft deleted