How's this for a microscope?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Sullysullinburg, Jan 3, 2016.

1. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

A lot of these do a great job but just like cameras you have to practice. The lighting is the tough part.

TJ1952 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

It does come with the base. Didn't you read the spec on the page? Flexible arm stand with observation "pad" includes graduated marks for easy measurement. Use a black cloth or something that will not reflect the light on the base.

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Well, will find out . I've been looking for something cheap for closeup since I own a dino-lite already and for 22 bucks ......

Arriving Jan 12 - Jan 27
    Preparing for Shipment

[​IMG]

$22.00
    Condition: Used - Like New - Only removed from box and used once.

5. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

From my camera to your eyes.

DSCN4829.JPG DSCN4830.JPG

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  6. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

7. benne911

benne911 Active Member

Even if it doesn't take pics you can easily screenshot the image anyway

8. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Stby...........

9. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

10. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Not too awful bad, and I say that as a photography snob who usually thumbs my nose to USB scopes. Nice sharpness levels.

I have the impression from a couple that you're not perfectly square to the coin - see how the VDB is sharp at the B and blurred at the V? Put a little pocket mirror where the coin is going to sit, and arrange the scope so that the center of the lens in the reflected picture of itself is exactly in the center of the image. That will make your shooting stage and camera plumb, square and level.

11. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Hmmm, okay....good tip. Let me try that. Thanks!

12. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

My guess is the 'scope optics ought to be flat-field enough to show everything it can capture in focus. If not, it will be sharpest in the center and softer at the outside. Either way, the V I mentioned is too close to the center to just be poor design, so I figured you're not perfectly parallel. It's unlikely you could get that square just by eye.

Does the scope have the ability to shoot in monochrome? If so, try that as an experiment to see what happens to sharpness. For detail images, we're usually not discussing color anyways, just the physical detail.

13. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

I use one of the Plugable USB models; also obtained a 'fixed mounting' stand as the flexible arm just didn't give me the steadiness when adjusting focus. Samples:
    ==
    [​IMG]
    ==
    [​IMG]
    ==
    [​IMG]

For my purposes the scope works fine, it's not real good for currency photos--yet; working on it though.

Oh, regarding the lighting issue; I cut up a plastic water bottle to use for light diffusion.

Paul_62 and TJ1952 like this.
  14. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Yes, you're right about the scope optics. I believe it's pretty flat. The four pictures above the VDB pic, seem to be consistently focused throughout. Yes, the VDB is not perfectly parallel.....good eye on your part. No, the scope doesn't shoot in monochrome. Thanks for your detailed observation and feedback! I see a couple of questions I want to ask @techwriter about his fixed mounting stand and cut up plastic water bottle. Later..

15. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

I liked your input here. Can you show me a picture of your fixed mounting stand. I think that's something I need. Also, this plastic water bottle thing you're talking about. Can you explain? Thanks!

16. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

TJ1952, don't have a picture but I've provided a link to one on eBay. The water bottle: I buy distilled water in plastic one gallon jugs; I cut the bottom off of one and also enlarged the top so the microscope can be moved up/down. The plastic diffuses the light so you don't have the glare issue when photographing coins. Oh, I turn off the LED lights on the microscope and use external lights. I'm going to a local camera store and buy a piece of translucent plastic which is really better than the water jug.
    Link for the mounting stand:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lighthouse-...hash=item1c5e81bba6:m:mfJO5YsPqitcbsEggybAZQA

17. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

techwriter- I think you're wasting your time as a techwriter, you should be an engineer! That fixed mounting stand is exactly what I need. Thanks! I can visually picture your water bottle project while reading your detailed explanation and description. Well, gotta go. I've got some project to do. Thanks very much!

18. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

19. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I had that 3CN for years and didn't know it. Until @paddyman98 turned me on to errors. So I've been going thru my books (very slow) one at a time looking for problem coins.

20. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Ok Chris, heres a image with my new scope .

Hows it look for a first shot ? 32.jpg

Paul M. and TJ1952 like this.
  21. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It doesn't look too bad, but keep in mind when you are trying to show us a close-up of a doubled die that the glare might do more harm than good. You'll need to experiment with repositioning the lighting, coin or even backing off on the photo a bit. I forgot to ask. Does your scope have the LED light ring? If so, it will require more practice to get the best shot.

In the photo below, I rotated the coin so that the light was away from the doubling. Then, I used my photo software to rotate the coin so the letter was in an upright position.

1530495-1966SMS50cB[1].jpg

Rick Stachowski likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted