How's this for a microscope?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Sullysullinburg, Jan 3, 2016.

1. PHanagriff

PHanagriff Active Member

Might try the Celestron #44380. It is a 5 mpg. You can get them cheaper than the $119 if you look around. I have been very happy with mine.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Show use some images, please .....

4. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

It isn't about seeing the error. You can do that with a $5 loupe. Studying it, though, is a different story, and that requires good optics at decent magnification.

ldhair, Paul M. and Insider like this.
  5. STU

STU Active Member

I got a cheap one at a yard sale its a regular microscope wasonly 15.00 but it works great I don't need pictures I have a lighted desk magnifier 50.00 and between the two I see everything besides the microscope magnifies three different settings 10,20 40,

6. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I have the very same microscope you are asking questions about. I got it two weeks ago because I wanted a cheapo and easy to use USB Microscope so I could take quick photos of the copper deposits on the surface of this denarius.

Caracalla Serapis denarius.jpg

Here are the results of the photographs I took, so you can judge for yourself. The camera is 2.0MP, so don't expect to blow any pictures you take further up in size, and don't expect zero digital noise. However, given how cheap it is, you could do a lot worse. See for yourself.

S20151222_0026.jpg S20151222_0025.jpg S20151222_0024.jpg

FURTHER ANSWERS TO ALL THE DIFFERENT POSTERS' QUESTIONS:

1. Will it work with Windows 10?
    Answer: Yes, I am using Windows 10.

2. What about Windows 7?
    Answer: Yes, I also tested it on a laptop running Windows 7.

3. Can I recommend a similar one that would work better?
    Answer: For that price, probably not.

4. I don't think those take any pictures? You have to supply your own optics(?)
    There is a 2.0MP camera built in. It's not pretty, but it does the job (see my examples above)

5. What Format does it save pictures?
    Answer: JPG

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  7. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Does take close ups ....

8. The funny money man

The funny money man New Member

Hi all, I just have a lens adaptor that clips on my Samsung cell phone. Here is the results......less then $20.00. Ron

upload_2016-1-4_13-35-14.png

David Leu, Paul_62 and Paul M. like this.
  9. PHanagriff

PHanagriff Active Member

Her are some raw photos with mine. The first one show the whole coin (I changed out the 6" metal holder with a 5/8" - 12" long wooden dowel rod from walmart). This allows me to take pictures of larger coins. The second close-up is with the plastic of the scope touching the coin. ( max mag).

Attached Files:

10. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I've been using a stereo scope since before digital was a glint in anyone's eye.

Two important considerations. Stereo gives the "natural" depth-of-field we are accustomed to; and the lighting you pick for any type of magnification device is extremely important. IMO the most important.

If you go the stereo route, great buys on zoom scopes (a must) are on Ebay and you may find yourself in completion with me as I have five at the moment for teaching.

Endeavor likes this.
  11. Insider

Absolutely a must. They will spoil you. I've got one here I purchased three years ago on Ebay for less than $400. I don't see any ID on it. May be under the stage but it is attached to my desk. Important thing here...it is a terrific scope, comparable to the B&L and Nikons I own and I use proper lighting.

12. Insider

Bet that is what I use. Mine is cream color, with glass stage and over/under lighting that I NEVER use for coins.

13. Insider

14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Exactly! How many times has someone posted a very poor photo of an error here, and we can only guess what it might be?

Chris

swamp yankee likes this.
  15. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

You don't need a camera with a digital microscope. Since the image is showing on your computer screen you can just do a screen capture and save the file.

DionHurst and swamp yankee like this.
  16. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

I agree,ask Alan for help he knows what works/don't....

17. HKUP

HKUP Member

I spent a lot of time looking at digital microscopes and actually bought 2, and returned them both. Neither one of them seemed to be compatible wit W7, although they advertised that they were. I don't think you will be happy with one that is this inexpensive and you certainly won't be happy with the stand, which has a short focal length and doesn't work for Morgans. After vetting so many, I just ordered a new one: Celestron 5MP from Amazon for about $70 and I'll let you know in a few days.

DionHurst likes this.
  18. PHanagriff

PHanagriff Active Member

Make sure you get about a foot of 5/8" wood dowel rod to go with it. You will be able to shoot larger coins.

19. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

You mean for taking pictures of the whole coin? It's a microscope. :) It's not really intended for whole-coin photography. It's intended for images like @Sallent posted (which look great, BTW!).

Sallent likes this.
  20. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

21. benne911

benne911 Active Member

Even if the cheaper microscopes don't have a camera option you can always take a screenshot since it will be plugged into a computer.

Draft saved Draft deleted