How's this for a microscope?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Sullysullinburg, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I like that one.. only thing is that the grid might be distracting for a background image.

Edit* oh wait.. I don't think it comes with that gridded base :sorry:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  4. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

If you have a problem with it, who do you call?

Will it work with windows 10? How about windows 11 or 12 when they come out?

Its inexpensive for a reason.

5. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

Go to your link, click on reviews, and start with the 1 star reviews and read what they have to say. Those five star reviews are sometimes paid to say good things. Make up your mind after that.

JPeace$ and dwhiz like this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I could not find examples of it's work. I would need to see that before buying one.

7. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I checked out one of the videos that had a zoom of the date on a 2000 cent. It looked pretty good. Keep in mind, however, that you won't want to use the "digital zoom" function, since digital zoom is useless. It looks like it goes up to 50x optically anyway, which is plenty for coins.

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It probably has a lot of negatives. Ask Alan @coinzip for help.

Chris

swamp yankee likes this.
  9. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

I've had a microscope in mind for some time now also. However, I'm not convinced that the USB microscopes are better than non-USB (stereoscopic to be more specific).

They each have their advantages and disadvantages. From everything I've read stereoscopic is better for my preferences but they are also pricier. And since I'm not a hardcore variety collector I just can't justify the expense yet. I have been thinking about collecting certain varieties however.

10. cpm9ball

If you're thinking about getting a stereomicroscope, I strongly urge you to consider a trinocular model over a binocular model. The problem with a binocular model is that you need to use one of the eyepieces for the camera, but before you can attach the camera, you need to adjust the focus and zoom. This becomes a real pain-in-the-rear going back and forth, back and forth. I have to do that with mine.......

1532033-IMG_1250[1].jpg

......but with a trinocular model, one eyepiece is dedicated for a camera so you never have to remove it. The problem with the trinocular model is that you will probably pay more than $1K for it.

So, before you jump the gun and opt for the stereomicroscope, maybe you should talk to Alan @coinzip . I think he can give you all the details about the latest USB scopes and their capabilities.

Chris

nearfall and Endeavor like this.
  11. Paul M.

I've seen trinocular 7x-45x stereo zoom microscopes on eBay for $300. I wish I knew if the optics were good, because if they were, I'd jump on that.

12. cpm9ball

That sounds too good to be true! I don't trust anything from China. If a part fails, you might never get a replacement. Does it include a USB camera? What sort of lighting does it use? LED or halogen? Does it use a dimmer? Do you have a link for it?

Chris

13. Paul M.

@cpm9ball:

I didn't originally post the link because I didn't want to hijack the thread, but here it is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/7X-45X-Stereo-Trinocular-Microscope-With-14-Pillar-Stand-/400883648279 . No light source is included, so you'd have to get one separately, and no USB camera. I don't consider the lack of a camera a big deal. Ships from southern California.

Edit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/7X-45X-Ster...-Pillar-Stand-64-LED-Ring-Light-/141603466209 (Same scope with a 64 LED ring light with a dimmer.)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  14. Sullysullinburg

No it does. A blank piece of paper would just cover it.

Ghostbusters! Seriously though, Amazon and ask for a return. As for Windows, I'll be on 7 for at least the next two years, if I have to get a new one after that then so be it.

Done. It seems most issues happen with MAC OS or Linux. I have Windows so I should be ok.

Way out of my price range.

15. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I know when I wanted to get better images with my dino-lite, who did I call, you sir and now I take better images .

Nothing like having a dealer ( Alan ) to answer and help, with all your questions ..

coinzip likes this.
  16. Rick Stachowski

I don't think those take any picture, only for viewing .

I think ....

17. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Good Golly, that's enough for a full-on photo rig.

Well, you still have to supply a camera. Quality optics aren't cheap.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  18. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

If you need a microscope to see an error, is it worth finding?

Chuck47, NeonBlurb and Jwt708 like this.
  19. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

Ok here are some questions I have about the unit.

1. What format does it save the image in?
    2. What is the website for the manufacture of the device?
    3. What is the phone number for tech support?
    4. Is there a warranty?
    5. What resolution(s) can it capture? (this is the size of the picture 2MP is not a resolution)

Its a gamble in my opinion, you may get a great product for $40, but I seriously doubt you will get much support with it.

20. Sullysullinburg

1. .jpg for sure, that's the only one I can find.
    2. Here's the link to the product on their page http://plugable.com/products/usb2-micro-250x
    3. They don't have one for some BS reason.
    4. 1 year, this is right of the product page,
    Important Information
    Seller Warranty Description : We love our Plugable products and hope you will too. All of our products are backed with a 1-year limited parts and labor warranty and Seattle-based email support.
    5. I'm a be honest, I have no clue what that it. I'll get back to you once I google it.

21. Rick Stachowski

What makes you think you need a microscope to see errors ?
    I own a dino-lite so I can show all of you, the errors .

But I can see all the errors with a 10x ....

Draft saved Draft deleted