How you got started collecting

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Poot, Apr 16, 2018.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

1960 small date proof set given to me by my old man. It started me off, and I still have it........

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I lived in Venezuela for about 18 months, in the western side from the Andes to Maracaibo. I worry about the people. I love Fuertes and collect them, along with Lochas (12 1/2 centimos) and 5 Bolivar notes in crisp unc. Gloria al Bravo Pueblo!

4. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I guess Hill's Brothers had a branch too.

5. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

A package for my 8th birthday:
    1) A 1963 proof set.
    2) A 1964 (dated) Red Book.
    3) Whitman folders for cents, nickels, and dimes.
    4) Another book on grading.

I still have all of the above, some 55 years and about 8 moves later.

Lawtoad likes this.
  6. green18

7. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

It's a dirty story, of a dirty man,
    And his clinging wife doesn't understand...

lordmarcovan and Kentucky like this.
  8. green18

Like I said.........one of those novels. You could be up there with 'Clancy' if ya just put it to paper........:)

9. NumisNinja

NumisNinja Active Member

10 years ago I was given a slabbed Morgan for Xmas and was told that silver would shoot up soon. It did...but of course came back down eventually. For nearly that entire time up until this year I had no interest in currency or silver stacking. The person who gave me the coin was a stacker and didn't care or know much about numismatics. Fortunately I came around and started getting into recently and now have over 700 collectible coins...along with a very depleted bank account.

10. Nas

Nas Well-Known Member

22 years ago i found a germany coin on street. so this is how my hobby begin

11. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

I started collecting when I found a wheat cent while rolling up my change bin. 1957D. All it took to get me hooked. Now i mainly CRH, but i do try to buy coins for my type set album (or coins i just need to own). Gotta keep to my budget so CRHing is great for that.

12. vanjog

vanjog New Member

Hello from Republlic Slovenia EU Im now 56 and im hobby numsmatic 50years, in place where I live many countryes with warr share our territory soo coins and banknotes stay in evry government change from roman times.. I start with Italian occupation coins and bank notes afrer Old Austria and German inflation... In my 25 all of them sale for good money. And start to collect world specimen bank notes AA ooooooo series, what is still my base collection Im owner of 1500 different from 130 country. No long ago I look in one of my old booxs and funded allot of 1 us cent coin and take time to see what I have and start again my us collection but qualty is poor and time to time change that. [edited]. Wellcome

@vanjog - Welcome. Sorry, but I had to edit out the trade offer you made in your post, since that is not allowed on the discussion forums. Your avatar is also questionable and might not meet CoinTalk standards. But I will let the administrative staff decide that. -Moderator

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2018
  13. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

My story is here.

This is the coin that got me started, on November 25, 1976.

I still have it.

[​IMG]

Poot likes this.
  14. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

:)

DrDarryl likes this.
  15. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

When I was very young, every time I went up to my mom’s hometown, a man by the name of Mr. Wold would always give me some old foreign coins. He fought in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam, and recently celebrated his 93rd birthday. Sometimes he would give me banknotes. I still have the envelope he gave them with, and they are all still in that envelope. The coins became broken down into categories, but I can still remember most of what I got from him. It is due to him that I collect foreign coins in the first place, and don’t constrict myself to only US.

tommyc03 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted