How you going to price a current unc strap of100 piece with all star notes?.

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by anchor1112, Feb 17, 2017.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

Sorry for the multiple posts, computer was loading :(

4. ValpoBeginner

ValpoBeginner Well Known Supporter

no problem. I only have a few military payment certificates. They aren't graded, and I got them as part of a lot. Do you mind taking a look at them? just one scan, one page of these in my home album. probably kinda common but IDK how the replacement notes work in MPC's

5. ValpoBeginner

First of all this note was why I decided to buy the lot. EPSON025-01.jpeg
    EPSON026-01.jpeg

midas1 and Michael K like this.
  6. ValpoBeginner

You can tell how this guy treated his notes... but nonetheless I didn't have anything this old.
    Ok here are the MPC's
    Only 2 MPC's-01.jpeg
    I know they aren't in any condition to be proud of but.... I kept them.

7. mpcusa

Sure no problem, anytime :) to address your first question in regards to the MPC you have listed, they are both very common the 5 Cent has a delivered population
    of 26,544,000 and the 10 Cent note has exactly the same in comparison the $5 note
    in the same series has a delivered population of only 6,800,000 anything under 7,000,000 i would consider on the rarer side but there are several issues under 2,000,000 that are almost impossible and many especially in the Vietnam era issues
    Series 641, 681 were destroyed by army finance on site.

[​IMG]

8. mpcusa

In regards to the value in the MPC world condition is everything and common notes like that with the condition issues would say maybe $5 or $6 dollars tops more as a novelty or piece of history more then anything.

Paul M. and ValpoBeginner like this.
  9. mpcusa

To answer your second question a "REPLACEMENT NOTE" in the world of MPC is not indicated like a *STAR* in regular currency, it is identified by the missing suffix or letter in the serial number at the end, the following note is an example of an MPC replacement.

Standard note: B00027020B

Replacement Note: B000270 (there is no letter at the end)

[​IMG]

ValpoBeginner likes this.
  10. mpcusa

If you have any other questions, please feel free to PM me :)

11. ValpoBeginner

ahh. ok.. Thank you very much for your effort. Good to know about Replacement notes in MPC's. I like alot of the imagery on these notes. Didn't think they were worth much l, bc of the condition. I just have them in the album as a example, so people who don't collect can see them and think, "wow, I didn't know that the military had its own currency once upon a time." You have quite a nice collection.

12. anchor1112

anchor1112 Senior Member

If one $2 star note worth $11.99. Then a strap of 100 $2 star note will worth $1,199.00.

13. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

Definitely not. It's not easy to find 100 buyers for the 100 individual notes, and so whoever breaks up the strap and does all that work is going to want a sizeable profit for their trouble. So the intact strap is going to sell for well under half of the theoretical market value of the individual notes.

ValpoBeginner and SteveInTampa like this.
  14. anchor1112

anchor1112 Senior Member

That's mean $600.

15. Small Size

Small Size Active Member

Scarcity and demand equal value. I have a $1 1928D SC star note. It's been pressed, maybe starched. But it's whole, good color, and also it's one of twenty known. Anybody wanting to complete a collection of $1 notes by series, with a regular and star example of each, is going to need one. The registry competition instigated by TPG's makes the competition even fiercer. What's it worth? Beats me. A lot more than I paid for it, I reckon. Mid-four figures maybe. Maybe low five if two Internet zillionaires fight over it at auction. It's not for sale anyway.
    I also have some stamps just as rare. Pre-war Malayan stamps with inverted Japanese occupation overprints on them. No more than a few hundred made. Maybe a few dozen survived. Unlike the note above, they're mint, NH, their gum tinted with just enough tropical toning to verify their original condition. I'd be lucky to get $100 a piece for them. Not many stamp collectors are interested, despite their rarity and historical importance.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  16. Small Size

Small Size Active Member

A beautiful note. And one of historical importance.
    Do you consider yellow-sealed silver certificates to be MPC's too? They were specially printed to pay US forces landing in North Africa, in case things went bad and the Nazis wound up with a large number of them.

17. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

While I appreciate MPCs, the topic of this thread is star straps -- let's not hijack it any further. A separate MPC thread is a great idea.

I'm wondering how the BEP catches errors after notes have been cut and strapped. Seems like there would be far too many to have human beings doing visual checks.

SteveInTampa likes this.
  18. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

They go through some, by hand as they have done in the past. That's called quality control. They are trying to get rid of the all humans in the positions, except for maintenance people.

Draft saved Draft deleted