How you going to price a current unc strap of100 piece with all star notes?.

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by anchor1112, Feb 17, 2017.

1. anchor1112

anchor1112 Senior Member

prices for current 2013 issue strap of 100 piece with all star notes for $100, $50, $20, $10, $5, $2, and $1 dollar bill?. Anyone?..

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

You can check the sold items on eBay.

Ones and twos are popular, but I don't see the other denominations too often.

I own a pack of ones, twos and fives. The ones were $135, the twos were $280, and the fives cost me $595.

[​IMG]

Dollarsavr likes this.
  4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

This post really is quite interesting, in the fact that these are 100 note packs of star notes. If I am reading the label on the note pack corectly only the substituted notes are star notes, not all 100. What am i missing here?

Paul M. likes this.
  5. I work at a currency exchange business and have asked myself the same question. The interuppted solid lines indicate that they are star note straps. However, on a side note, I have found a strap of normal fives with a star note money strap (no star notes were in the strap). I think they have to put this statement on the star note money strap because theoretically there could be a mistake on a star note, that would require that star note or star notes to be replaced with another star note. Thererfore the star note bills would no longer run in sequential order.

calishield and alurid like this.
  6. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

That makes sense to me, had to read it twice though. So these must be the left over replacement notes after finnishing a letter series.

7. lettow

lettow Senior Member

The band is the same band used on all packs of notes.

Paul M. likes this.
  8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Steve, since these numbers are not sequential, did you go through them before sealing them in the Cone of Silence?

Paul M. likes this.
  9. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

The text on the band is the same text used on all packs of notes, yes. But the candy-stripe edges of these bands are disinctive, only used for replacement straps (100 consecutive star notes).

No, the leftover replacements at the end of a series are used as replacements during the printing of the next series. This is a replacement strap, used to replace an entire strap of regular notes. If a defective note is caught during the final inspection, after the regular notes have already been cut and strapped, then the strap containing the bad note is replaced by a strap of star notes. It's more efficient than taking the time to undo the strap and replace one note out of the middle of it.

NOS likes this.
  10. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Thank you, I'm catching on now. I just never knew they did such a thing. It changes my unterstanding that Star Notes are rare.

11. Some star notes are rare. It depends upon which run they are from.

alurid likes this.
  12. I have recently held multiple straps ($1's and $10's) where a note in the middle must have been damaged and replaced by a star. These star notes are usually from a low print run. I have even had a strap where three notes in the middle of the strap (notes ending in 65-67) were replaced by star notes. Then according to your theory they must have caught this error early and realized the notes from those plates were damaged and changed them out before they were cut, or how do invidiual star notes come into the middle normal straps?

13. It doesn't mean there is a star note that runs out of sequence, it means that there could be (chances are there isn't and that they all run in sequence). I have to be honest I have not checked the three straps of $1 Star notes that I have. Maybe there is a surprise in one of the straps.

14. anchor1112

anchor1112 Senior Member

I went to banks. Chase, Citibank and Bank of America. And got 20 strap of $2 and 20 strap,of $1. I found only one strap,of $2 with all star note. I though I make a fortune. Upon reading what you guys have said. My only strap might worth face value only.

15. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

Exactly--this happens when the bad notes are caught before the sheets have been cut. In that case, the sheet containing the bad note is replaced by a sheet of stars. Then when the sheets are cut, you end up with a bunch of different straps all having a star in the middle, in the same spot in each strap.

In the recent $1 printings (serialled on the new LEPE lines), the serial numbers are laid out in such a way that numerous consecutive straps come from the same stack of sheets. As a result, if you can get several consecutive straps of new currency, then they'll all have stars in the same locations (if they have any stars at all). E.g., if one strap has stars in place of the notes ending in 65 through 67, then the next few straps will also have stars in those same spots.

But in the higher denominations (serialled on the older COPE lines), the serials are laid out differently, and consecutive straps come from different stacks of sheets. So if one strap contains a few stars, the next strap might not, and vice versa.

In practice, the BEP tends to use substantially more star notes in the form of replacement straps than they use in the form of replacement sheets. So they generally print larger runs of star notes when they're printing replacement straps, and smaller runs when they're printing replacement sheets. Therefore, as you said, when you find one or a few stars in the middle of a regular strap, they'll usually be scarcer short-run stars. But when you find a whole strap of star notes, they'll generally be more common stars from a longer run.

ValpoBeginner and NOS like this.
  16. ValpoBeginner

ValpoBeginner Well Known Supporter

I believe that 2013 star $2.00 notes are more rare as a general rule than other years because the BEP ceased production of them early in 2016 due to issues with star notes having ink smearing on their reverses.

This makes a strap of $2.00's well worth the investment!

My source for this information was "All Things Considered" Chicago Public Radio.... on the way home from work late last fall.

17. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

The value is based on rarity of the particular run of *STAR* notes that you have, though they are rarer then non stars, just because they are doesnt make them
    super valuable !

18. ValpoBeginner

ValpoBeginner Well Known Supporter

I'll have to agree with the one part of the statement. 100 dollar bills regardless of whether or not they are replacement notes, of the same number, are worth more.

But in the future when collectors realize there were 6 runs of Star notes on only New York $100 Federal star notes B*; And only 1 run of New York star notes in the $2 denomination. Which ones are going to be in demand?

Scarcity in numismatics equals value.

If you disagree, please explain, I don't understand the reasoning.

The 2013 New York star notes from NY are selling for a minimum of $11.99 in the market place. The 100 dollar star notes are selling for an average of just 115 dollars. The return on investment is higher if you get the twos. Plus they are in demand.

19. mpcusa

with anything, something is worth only what someone else is going to pay, and depending on how many people are in that collector base produces demand in my case i collect Military Payment Certificates or (MPC) there are only a few hard core
    collectors out there that collect high grade (Graded) examples like myself, but with
    super low populations it tends to drive the price way up !! here,s one that is a top pop at PCGS, only (1) 69PPQ and here it is :)

20. mpcusa

with anything, something is worth only what someone else is going to pay, and depending on how many people are in that collector base produces demand in my case i collect Military Payment Certificates or (MPC) there are only a few hard core
    collectors out there that collect high grade (Graded) examples like myself, but with
    super low populations it tends to drive the price way up !! here,s one that is a top pop at PCGS, only (1) 69PPQ and here it is :)

21. mpcusa

22. mpcusa

Draft saved Draft deleted