How would You Rate ANACS compared to PCGS, orNGC?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GregBnCoins, Jun 13, 2011.

1. GregBnCoins

GregBnCoins Member

ANACS is running a special, grading 10 coin for $119! And I've never had any coins grade! So in your opinion, how do they stack up compared to PCGS, and NGC? Is this a good deal, or just a waste of time, and money? Thanks, Greg!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

It's been my experience that they are fairly tough with gold coins, right on the money with Bust halves. Those are basically the only types of coins I have sent to ANACS for grading.

4. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Well if your looking for resale value you cant beat PCGS, you will find in most cases that
    On similar coins they demand more money NGC is a close second and would say ANACS
    Is a distant third.

5. psuscott1

psuscott1 Junior Member

Isn't this somewhat the idea behind the CDN Certified Coin Market Indicator?

http://www.greysheet.com/cdn/cdnccmi.asp

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding it, it's an indication of how each grading service sight-unseen prices compare to the CDN bids. Says something about the standards (perceived or actual) of each of the grading services.

the COIN DEALER Newsletter Certified Coin Market Indicator™:

SERVICE LOW HIGH AVERAGE
    [TABLE="width: 30%"]

PCGS
    [TD="class: ctr"] 60.11%[/TD]
    [TD="class: ctr"] 95.99%[/TD]
    [TD="class: ctr"] 79.58%[/TD]

NGC
    [TD="class: ctr"] 58.92%[/TD]
    [TD="class: ctr"] 96.60%[/TD]
    [TD="class: ctr"] 79.87%[/TD]

ANACS
    [TD="class: ctr"] 37.28%[/TD]
    [TD="class: ctr"] 88.28%[/TD]
    [TD="class: ctr"] 56.14%[/TD]

ICG
    [TD="class: ctr"] 47.01%[/TD]
    [TD="class: ctr"] 91.92%[/TD]
    [TD="class: ctr"] 68.42%[/TD]

PCI
    [TD="class: ctr"] 31.04%[/TD]
    [TD="class: ctr"] 69.71%[/TD]
    [TD="class: ctr"] 49.32%[/TD]

SEGS
    [TD="class: ctr"] 28.96%[/TD]
    [TD="class: ctr"] 70.29%[/TD]
    [TD="class: ctr"] 46.05%[/TD]

NCI
    [TD="class: ctr"] 27.80%[/TD]
    [TD="class: ctr"] 76.71%[/TD]
    [TD="class: ctr"] 40.93%[/TD]

INS
    [TD="class: ctr"] 16.73%[/TD]
    [TD="class: ctr"] 56.62%[/TD]
    [TD="class: ctr"] 31.93%[/TD]
    [/TABLE]

6. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

the puzzling thing to me, if I interpret this chart right is that if I have a 1909-S VDB in AU-50 condition ($1550 in the 2011 Red Book) and a dealer wants $1600 (~2*790) for the coin in PCGS or NGC holders, would he/she sell me the same coin in an ICG holder for only $1350 (~2*684) or an ANACS holder for only $1100 (~2*560)?
    If selling, would I be willing to discount the S VDB by 20 - 30% because it wasn't in a PCGS/NGC holder?

7. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Actually some dealers will - of course I have seen the same grade coin at a dealer where the PCGS coin was higher than the NGC coin(vice versa also true). At the same time I have seen ICG holdered coins (or ANACs) coins cheaper that what the grade in PCGS and NGC would bring. I think it depends on not only the dealer, but also the coin itself. Just my opinion.

8. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Buy the coin, not the slab... dealers sell the coin, not the slab. ;)

If I were personally handing out ratings for some slabbing companies, from what I've seen in their slabs;

PCGS 8.5
    NGC 8.25
    ANACS 6.5
    ICG 6.25

Or something along those lines.

9. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I will answer your questions with a couple questions.

What coins are you considering sending-in for grading (post photos if you can).

For what reason(s) do you want them graded? (ie. to sell them, to preserve them, to authenticate them, to assemble a graded set, etc.).

Very best regards,
    collect89

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Those charts are pretty much meaningless. In years past I have seen ICG have the highest rating, seen ANACS have the highest rating (of course that was for the old ANACS not the compnay it is now), even seen PCI have the highest rating.

But then that's because of the particular coins, in those particular slabs, that dealers happen to be making offers on that particular week. So on any given week, if the coins in the NGC and PCGS slabs are dogs for the grade, then the dealer offers are going to be low. And if on the same week the coins in the ANACS, ICG, PCI or whatever slabs are good for the grade or maybe even better (meaning a chance for an upgrade) - then on that week the ICG, ANACS or whatever, slab is going to have the highest rating.

That's why those charts are meaningless.

Bottom line, NGC and PCGS are consistently going to have the best coins for the grade. However, coins in the old ANACS slabs, coins in the old ICG slabs, and even some fewer coins in the old PCI slabs - have been upgraded by NGC and PCGS. Conversely, coins that were originally in NGC or PCGS slabs have been downgraded by the old ANACS and the old ICG.

So what does this all mean ? Quite simple - it means that the slab, anybody's slab, does not matter. The only thing that ever matters is the coin !

But as a general rule, NGC and PCGS are far and away the best grading companies.

11. fascoins

fascoins New Member

As a collector, buy the coin not the slab.

If you are thinking one step ahead however, in terms of selling it, know that PCGS will get the most money, followed closely by NGC and then on down the line.

12. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

If you plan to sell those ten coins. I think you will make a lot more than the sixty some dollars diference it cost to get them graded at PCGS.
    ANACS new style holders only seem to bring good money in the made for TV sales.

13. GregBnCoins

GregBnCoins Member

Thanks for all the input! Sounds like A membership w/ PCGS is the best option! As far as selling I won't be, I'm just trying to preserve them in the best way, so I can pass them to my children w/ the best value! I have my will set-up so they can't be touched til 2037.

14. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

This is what I do.

If you are a member of the ANA, then you can submit as many coins as you like to NGC. Your ANA membership is all you need. You get all the benefits of the ANA membership and direct submission privileges.

15. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Hate to tell ya, but if your kids wanna sell, they'll sell, regardless of what the will says.

16. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

He could give them to me for safe-keeping until 2037.:)

17. darrowcrowe

darrowcrowe Member

I was hired to sell of a collection of coins in a quick manner. Most were circulated keys cents through halves. ICG got the coins back to me right away, their grading was correct in my book. I sold them off on Teletrade and got reasonable money for all of them looking at the selling history of each coin in the Teletrade selling history.
    In a second time in doing business with them my son and I had bought a 15 1/2LB bag of Buffalo Nickels at a Antique Auction. The bag had a lot of early minted marked key to semi key dates. Towards the end of the bag my son found not one, not two but three 1937D three leg Buffalos. We were going to take them to the Santa Clara Coin Show here in the Bay Area get them conserved and graded by NGC as one of the three had a really little piece of crud on the third side of the coin, the edge. Well NGC did not come to that show. I remembered that ICG had something written on them that they conserve for the grading fee. I sent them in they came back VF30, VF30 scratched, VF35, a little conservative grading but still a GREAT find for my son. I like them. DC

18. mcgmsewell2004

mcgmsewell2004 New Member

I would put PCGS at the top, with NGC a close second and ANACS a little futher from NGC, but in my opinion, no one grades error coins better than ANACS, or has the footprint that they have. Now, there are two ways to look at that; you could say that ANACS will grade anything under the sun, or you could say that ANACS specializes in errors/die varyities...

19. wooleytree

wooleytree Operation Flamingo

I have used all three and have 2 orders submitted to ANACS right now. They do a good job of grading and the turnaround times are good. I have also sent ANACS coins to PCGS to have them crossed over and they have tagged two of my coins previously graded by ANACS as cleaned but did return them in the ANACS holders. (When doing cross overs you designate the minimum grade that they will re-holder a coin.) I do think that potential buyer tend to favor PCGS and as many have stated NGC runs a close second. Personally I have many of my coins slabbed as a way to preserve them.

20. wooleytree

wooleytree Operation Flamingo

Just got confirmation that one of my orders shipped out from ANACS today. I used the $119 special and was able to send 17 coins on this order for $202. They got the order 5-24 and it is already on the way home. That's a 22 day turnaround. Everything came looked good except for an 1877 S trade Dollar that came back as N9 which means it may have been in a bezel (jewelery) and a 1913 type 1 buffalo that I thought was ms63 that came in at AU58. I'm Ok with it!

21. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

buy the coin not the slab

Draft saved Draft deleted