How would you grade this 1829 coin??

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by acsf89, Oct 31, 2010.

1. acsf89

acsf89 New Member

just wanted to see what people's opinions on this coin....

e1261-o.jpg

thanks
    and by the way

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!
    -acsf89

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

4. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Nice coin. I grade it VF-20.

5. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

details for this grade evaluation?

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Must admit I was surprised by Mike's estimate. But from a technical point (not technical grading) of view he would be correct. ANA standards dictate that LIBERTY must be complete and the clasp clear to grade VF - and on this coin neither is.

But the rest of the coin would warrant a higher grade than F12 and I attribute the missing details to uneven wear and nothing more. Thus I would grade the coin VF20.

7. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

By a strict application of ANA Standards verbatim, I suppose one would have to call this F12 or F15. The problem with those standards, when applied to early US coinage, is poor strike can obliterate detail even on mint state coins. I have seen AU55-MS62 CBHs with very little clasp detail.

I think this coin would be VF20 money on the bourse floor all day long. I attribute the missing clasp to poor strike.

8. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I initially thought OK - VG and read the grades as was bit surprised. I'n not an expert, or even looked up the ANA guild, just a less than completely novice thought about the grade after views quite a few of them. Thanks for the details of the grading decision.

Ruben

9. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

choice fine

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

F-12? What was I thinking....

I was looking at the tiny versions of the photos (and they fooled me!). Just clicked the larger ones and I concur with VF 20 (TPG grade) after further review. :)

Nobody's perfect, least of all me, and I blew it first time around....Mike

p.s. very nice coin, BTW. Very original looking for the type, which is known for cleaned and otherwise messed with examples.

11. Coinguy56

Coinguy56 Member

I'm going to say VF-20. I have one that looks pretty much the same. Here's a pic of mine, VF-20.

IMG_1906.jpg IMG_1907.jpg

If your coin won't grade VF-20 (which I think it would), It would grade F-15 or something.

12. acsf89

acsf89 New Member

I wanted to ask since it was graded VG8 but
    thanks for everyone's opinions...=)

13. Coinguy56

Coinguy56 Member

Who slabbed it? PCGS? NGC?

14. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

have it regraded

15. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

I think the coin would go in the F15 range. Clasp is not there, wear into the Y in Liberty, bun has alot of wear on it. Rev. Eagles feathers, neckand the talon area also look at the leaves down at the lower left of the coin. Nice coin.. 1829 is generally a pretty well stuck coin.. Surprised nobody has given you an overton number on it yet.. I would but I am feeling lazy. If I get a chance this evening I will take another peek at it.

16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

My guess is nobody slabbed it, that the coin was sold to him raw at that grade.

Draft saved Draft deleted