How would you grade these coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ShellionessLove1, Mar 17, 2018.

1. ShellionessLove1

ShellionessLove1 New Member

i have a few pretty pennies and was hoping to get some of the knowledgeable coin collectors to tell me if these coins would possibly grade well. I am getting my coins organized and put in holders so they are presentable. My goal is to get as many error and good Hopefully some kind of mint state coins I can possibly hunt down and put to auction. What do you think about these? No scratches and great color and clarity.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Very nice specimen however how rare? You need to check population and values before spending the money on grading to justify having them graded.
    Happy St Paddy's day.....Erin go bragh...

4. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

Nice (But) why would you send them in is there something maybe I'm missing, they look normal value ( 1 cent). IMO
    Dave

5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

While they are in good condition, the zinc cents deteriorate rapidly.
    Not worth grading by a longshot. Put them in a 2x2 flip and keep them if you like them. I spend cents like that all the time.
    The second one is an MS coin (mint state) but not really worth more than 1 cent as they make billions of these coins and many millions are in this grade or better.
    The second one could be MS-66 hard to tell. The first one would be lower MS-63. I think if these are 68 or 69 there might be value there. But those grades are almost perfect coins which are scarce.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  6. Chad Nicholls

Chad Nicholls New Member

From what I've heard if you paid PCGS to have them grade 4 coins for you they'd be charging you around $260 plus shipping fees. Doesn't seem worth it for those coins.

7. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Based upon what I can see, the 96 has more eye-appeal than the 99, but is hurt by the reverse spot. Unfortunately, and as the other have said, neither is going to bring any level of worthwhile money on their own.

With coins like this the only real possibility - and even this is a long shot just as likely to fail as succeed - is to put together a set and try to sell that way. Unfortunately, most folks have no interest in buying completed sets unless as gifts, and means such things often do better as novelties than as serious collectibles. I once rented a cabinet in an antique mall in order to help liquidate years of low-value material that had piled up, and was able to sell quite a few albums/folders there, but they had to be cheap. This was some years ago now, but I doubt things have changed. Good luck!

8. ShellionessLove1

ShellionessLove1 New Member

Thank you all very much!!! I didn’t know it costs that much to have them graded wow!!! To Dave: I was just thinking ifnit went to auction in a good mint state that someone might need one of them to complete a set and if you get two good bidders that want the same coin it can escalate in money pretty fast. Am I incorrect? I’m just trying to have fun with this for now as I learn more from you all it gets more and more interesting. See my next post I do believe I got my hands on a 1943 copper not magnetized. I’m posting a thread now.

9. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

Well having fun is the main thing but if you are trying to make a living (Well) I wouldn't count on that, learn as much as you can about the minting process doubled dies varieties Etc.
    Learn that first then learn to grade your own coins I'm working on that now myself, I find collecting is more fun for me then selling but to each there own.
    As far as 1943 copper I wouldn't get my hopes up on that but post a pic will take a look at it.
    Dave

Draft saved Draft deleted