How would this Liberty Walking half grade?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by USS656, Jul 23, 2011.

1. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Picked this up recently at a reasonable price, thoughts on grade?

Thanks ~ Darryl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I'd say 63/64 Darryl. I'd like to see the reeding. If there are dark spots in some of the reeding (like in pictures 4 and 5) and not shadows, I would suspect that the coin was cleaned. Otherwise, on the obverse I look at the hand and the skirt lines. On this coin the skirt linbes are well defined, but the hand is not. The later issue WLHs (late 1930s and 1940s) I would expect to see very strong strikes. Were this a coin from the teens, it would grade much higher IMHO

4. USS656

Mike,

:) I believe you nailed it perfectly in every respect! From the 1st pictures the coin looked like a 63. Hold the coin, change the lighting and this coin is a problem coin. It has been cleaned at some point. There is a little luster left but the coin does not have an original surface in my opinion. Look at how this coin looks in different lighting - wow, you would think they are different coins. The hands, on area of the skirt and the one leg of the eagle have a rub. I would bet this coin would be body bagged at NGC or PCGS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

The second and third pictures you've included almost make the coin look like a proof! Like previously stated, I don't think it'd grade just for those spots on the reverse. Without the spots, it'd most likely make it into an MS62 or MS63 holder. Either way, it's a beautiful piece :)!

-Brian

6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Looks dipped. That's a shame, maybe it was only toned at first and someone wanted to sell it so they dipped it. better luck next time

7. USS656

+1 :(

Have to wonder what it looked like prior to being dipped?

So what would you say to the seller that said this was a 63+ coin? :rolleyes:

I am keeping the coin just as a lesson coin. Still has nice details and the couple walking halves I have are heavily circulated.

8. Kanderus

Kanderus Active Member

Regardless of cleaning or what not, that still looks great. I only have 1 WLH to my name, I love it...but it doesn't have that lustrous POP that yours does. Just my 2 cents.

9. USS656

Thank you, it is a very nice looking half! Hopefully what is happening on the reverse does not get any worse.

10. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I would tell him in a nice way that his grade of ms63 was way off. Ask him if he dipped it or if he bought it that way. Terrible, hope it don't get worse or you may have to dip it correctly if you're gonna keep it.

11. Augustine1992

Augustine1992 Member

hopefully the reverse doesnt get worse, it would ruin a very nice coin

Draft saved Draft deleted