How/where to sell valuable coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Steamandlight, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Steamandlight

Steamandlight Active Member

I have a question. I have a higher end coin (1916 SLQ graded FR02 by PCGS, with a green CAC sticker - $1750-$2000 value). What is the best platform/where is the best place for selling coins like that? I don't want to sell to a shop, as I want to realize as much of the value as I can. I wish I could sell it in person, as I don't feel good about having something with that value in the mail. But I know I probably will have to find a buyer online somehow. I don't use ebay much, because the last time I did I lost a $200 coin for $50. I use FB groups for selling smaller value coins ($150 and under) these days. But I don't really think that's the right venue for a coin like this.

Any advice appreciated. Thank you!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Santinidollar and Seattlite86 like this.
  4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I don't know about selling fancy expensive coins, but you could at least post a WTS ad here and see if anyone bites.

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

The best advice you're going to get is to find a happy medium. The fact is that everyone wants what you do in receiving as much as possible, but the reality is that you very well may not be able to achieve a straight retail price (or close to it). Rick's fine GC suggestion is certainly worth considering, and Ian will tell you what he expects it to bring if you provide quality photos and the necessary info. Really, there is no solve-all though, so you're going to have to look into whatever options you're comfortable with, weighing the pros and cons, and decide for yourself. However, do remember that sometimes it is preferable to pocket less simply to avoid the risk and/or hassle of trying to maximize the return.

Valentinian and rickmp like this.
  6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Look into consigning with Gerry Fortin, he has the lowest fees and will do descriptions for them ect. If you really want an auction David Lawrence is a good option there, they actually pay very quickly after a sale unlike some other auction houses.

Santinidollar and Steamandlight like this.
  7. Steamandlight

Steamandlight Active Member

Thank you for the answers. I am thinking either Great Collections or Gerry Fortin will be receiving an email from me in the next few days. This has been very helpful.

Again, thank you for the information!

8. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

I recommend calling Gerry too. Totally honest and up front. If he thinks it is a good match for his customers he will tell you.

Draft saved Draft deleted