How was 2018,for coin additions?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by panzerman, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

Not at all - coin on!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I have added five coins this year, but I am very pleased with each. I have a bid on one more but it doesnt close for two more days. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  4. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

I have to admit that you have a point there :confused:

5. Deacon Ray

Only five? I admire your self control, Sir! ;)

Curtisimo likes this.
  6. Ken Dorney

My situation is different from most. As a dealer I handle many thousands of coins per year, so in a way I suppose my inventory could be considered a rotating collection. Also I am really a bit picky about what I collect. It's not that I want uber expensive or rare coins, but I want base metal coins which have great patina and eye appeal (to me anyway). That means 99+% of what I see I never want to buy and what is left is dependent on my meager budget.

Curtisimo, benhur767 and Deacon Ray like this.
  7. Deacon Ray

Kind words—thank you, Sir! I forgot one of my favorite Judaean coins however so just added it.

8. benhur767

benhur767 Sapere aude

It's a wonderful collection!

Deacon Ray likes this.
  9. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

2018 has been a slower year for me due to buying a house and changing jobs. I mostly just haven't had as much time for coins unfortunately so I've only picked up 18 coins so far but that stuff is finally winding down and I'm spending more time watching auctions and retail and hopefully will add another coin or two before year end(and just added one this morning).

Even though my actual coin acquisitions were a little slower I did manage to add a few important additions to my library such as Rutter's Historia Numorum Italy and Sydenham. I also recently had a short note published in the first volume of the new KOINON journal. This is the first time I've ever had anything published but I hope not the last.

Overall I feel the year was pretty good for my collection. I'm hoping 2019 will be even stronger but who knows what the future will hold.

Justin Lee, Carausius, akeady and 2 others like this.
  10. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

I think I did pretty good. I added either 44 or 46 coins (2 are currently negotiating the postal system). : ( Some of the coins I have already featured on coin talk such as a Libral standard Janus/ Prow as and a Metapontion stater. I nerod14.jpg guess one of my favorites is this coin which was going to be my next entry in that contest a few months ago. Nero and Agrippina Denarius

Nerva, NLL, TypeCoin971793 and 16 others like this.
  11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Wow, what a fantastic coin and enviable acquisition! Kevin Butcher has video about the type, which you've probably seen :).

Curtisimo, Theodosius and zumbly like this.
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

That is a great coin. The legends tell the story well and need to be read carefully by anyone interested in the type. I can not accept it as a Nero and Agrippina denarius. It is Agrippina and Nero! I can see how Nero might not have been happy with his second fiddle status on this coin. I find it interesting that Nero did not have her killed for about five more years. Wonderful coin!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agrippina_the_Younger#Power_struggle_between_mother_and_son

zumbly and TIF like this.
  13. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

And a fantastic entry it would have been! That is an amazing coin.

14. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

This thread reminds me I need to get crackin' on my "year in review" summary.

15. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Picked up 22-23 coins this year. All with
    dates from 1374- 1499 AD. One of my
    more productive years.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all of the Coin Talk members!!

Theodosius likes this.
  16. Ken Dorney

The coin below is what I lost out on yesterday. I so wanted it badly, and I could have bought it, but being Christmastime and all... And of course I dont believe in stretching the money too thin. Damn. It was a fine coin!

Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 9.59.35 PM.png

17. Nerva

Nerva Well-Known Member

I wanted this one too! But I went all-in on the Iliad coin from that sale ... and still didn't get it :-(

18. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

My year went far better than I thought it would. I honestly expected to end the year empty handed because of moving out on my own.

However, thanks to the tremendous generosity of others and being able to successfully participate in AMCC 1, I’m entering 2019 on a high note.

Y’all did grrrrrrreat!

Erin

Justin Lee and Theodosius like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted