How was 2018,for coin additions?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by panzerman, Dec 4, 2018.

1. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

I have only 6 or 7 coins that I plan to keep in the long term. Everything else is beaters. (my term for coins that I just have to have)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    panzerman and Deacon Ray like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Beautiful captures @panzerman ! This year has been pretty bad for my collection. As of this moment I'm at 10 coins for the year! I suspect a couple coins will make it into my collection before the year ends.

4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I have one coin in the mail coming to me from Zurqieh in the U.A.E. I probably will acquire two or three more before the end of this month, so I have added around 40 coins so far this year. I've started to add coins to my collection from Roman Egypt, which was something I was not really focused on before.

benhur767 and Deacon Ray like this.
  5. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Brother Hussam has some great and hard to find coins. He's alway been very helpful when I've communicated with him via email.

6. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I got some really tough coins at good prices, as well as greatly expanding my ancients/medieval collection. I’d call 2018 a win. :)

7. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Ok... So I've counted the coins that I've added in 2018 so far (26 days left :banghead:) and my grand total as of right now (including coins in transit) is exactly 250 coins. :eek::oops::sorry::bag: That frightens me (well, just a little)... and another reason I am happy to find new homes for some of my collection via AMCC.

Me: Stands up from metal folding chair in a circle...
    "My name is Justin, and I'm an addict."​
    All of CT Ancients members: "Hi, Justin."​

TheRed, Theodosius, zumbly and 7 others like this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Way off year for me. Only 47 coins through June 2018. A major Life issue has precluded capturing more or moving forward. Usually, I am at a clip of 200-300 historical Ancients per year.

Couple of favorites for the year:

upload_2018-12-5_11-54-3.png
    RR Anon after 211 BCE AR Quinarius 2.12g Helmeted hd Roma - Dioscuri riding Cr 68-2b was 44-6 RSC 3 ex Clain-Stefanelli

upload_2018-12-5_11-54-56.png
    Carthage Zeugitania Libyan Revolt AR Shekel 24mm 7.34g 241-238 BCE Wreathed Tanit Horse stndg control mark and Punic M SNG Cop 236

TIF, TheRed, NLL and 14 others like this.
  9. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

So far so good! This has been my secondish year of actively collecting ancients (more like 1.5th year), and I have certainly diversified my interests and found a few niches. I'll try to post some favorites when I have time, but I might wait until closer to the end of the year.

10. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Probably my weakest year since I started collecting, I think I pulled in around 25 total coins, and that includes modern coins. I did get 4-5 coins (like @dougsmit , I don't coin them as mine until they are in my hands) that are awesome, and probably 10 other ones that are cool, about 6 that are "meh", and 3 turds.

11. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

That's a good thing.:)

12. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

@panzerman Would you share some pics of the
    medieval/renaissance purchases from this year.
    Especially the ones with dates.

panzerman likes this.
  13. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Great post, @panzerman ! I hastily assembled most of my coin acquisitions of 2018 into a poster. I've included 46 of them but I think there are a few more that I've omitted. That being the case, my coin acquisitions for 2018 is 60+. I can't say with certainty whether or not I will purchase more this year. When I see a coin that's been on my want list—I'll impulsively make the purchase without thinking about it—almost like having an "out of the body" experience ;)

My coins are not exquisite pieces of numismatic art but I treasure them nonetheless.

Edited 12/6/2018: My apologies! I forgot one of my favorites—My Hendin 1172

ACQUISITIONS_OF_2018.jpg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    TheRed, Nerva, benhur767 and 10 others like this.
  14. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

That is really neat. I have no idea how do managed to display them all on a scroll. I am not great at using technology, except for turning on the TV.
    John

Deacon Ray likes this.
  15. panzerman

I will try to do that tomorrow:) Dated coins from the 1400-1499 are really rare, 1500-99 are easier. But I have a lot of Islamic coins dated AH 76 -800 (700AD-1500AD)

16. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..it's been a good year for me also..and of course the roses..:)

Deacon Ray and panzerman like this.
  17. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I had a very good year in the area of U.S large cents, and also German Napoleonic Era minors.

In the ancients era it was an 'average' year with a few nice denarii, nothing exceptional but nice stuff overall.

18. panzerman

Deutschland is my best Country (makes sense since I am German) I have 160 AV German States coins. My oldest a Constans AV Solidus struck Trier Mint 345AD. Also my first dated Christian coin a 1492 Frankfurt Imperial City Goldgulden. My fav. the Regensburg City View AV Dukat/ and the Brandenburg-Preussen AV 2 Dukaten City View of Berlin. Then, there are thousands of way more impressive German coins, but they are way out of my league:( or in simple terms finances.... 5c3b19f1e500002c47814aac52bafeb3.jpg e27b697c0ea7606d27b2993c4214c8d9.jpg

TheRed, NLL, Theodosius and 9 others like this.
  19. BoonTheGoon

BoonTheGoon Grade A mad lad

Ohhh those are nice, those ones there are way out of my league XD

benhur767, Deacon Ray and panzerman like this.
  20. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

I read that title too quickly and thought it said, "How was 2018 for coin addiction?" :woot:

21. BoonTheGoon

BoonTheGoon Grade A mad lad

Well, you could say in 2018 I got a more severe coin addiction, but then again is that a bad thing?

Draft saved Draft deleted