How to use new features.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by josh's coins, Jun 22, 2014.

1. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

Yeah that is kinda bugging me a bit too. It updates the number as a new coin or collection is added to the showcase. I have not found a way to turn off this alert just yet.

As for precious metals try downloading an app on your phone. I use the kitco app on my windows phone 8.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. krispy

krispy krispy

I use Photobuckets iPhone App for sharing and refering to my collection on the go and can easily add pics to CT by accessing my images hosted there, but wouldn't be able to post in these new features due to the need to attach files from a computer.

4. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

5. krispy

krispy krispy

The flags will never go away now. It just seems there are numerous redundancies to the features of CT now. While we have a button for Alerts, we also get or can opt to get emails about updates, and see a red flag above Alerts, when all that's required is to click the button to see the drop down menu of Alerts. The same is true of the Showcase now, it's a button always positioned at the top of the page that seems will always be beckoning us with red flags to view it, and when you do, how will we sort the newest from all the scrolling strips showing the same pictures on the same page, most recent, top rated, most viewed. Won't that likely always be the most recent thing in the stream... I think there's just too much redundancy, noise in all these features. Simple is (was) best.

6. krispy

krispy krispy

Thanks! Sounds like it will become a full time job just to keep clicking mark items viewed, if it already knows that, why doesn't it just track that for me. :wideyed:

7. josh's coins

Test has been completed using TapaTalk on the windows phone 8 platform.

The result is that you can only view forum posts and comment on them. You do not have any other options than that. So no people using TapaTalk will never be able to use these new features.

8. krispy

krispy krispy

Thanks for testing it. The general picture I'm getting is it's incomplete development wise and will be noodled with as a work in progress, never a finished product just a rolling set of evolving features.

9. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

While I do not mind getting "alerts" when someone either likes or quotes a thread which I have participated in, I do mind having to respond to items which are of no concern to me specifically.

Having that alert means either trying to ignore it (like an itch) or clicking on Showcase and then selecting "Mark Items Viewed" each time the flag pops up.

Just my opinion.

10. josh's coins

alerts.PNG
    If you set your alerts to the way I have mine setup you no longer get those alerts. The big one is "Reviews a watched showcase item"

11. 19Lyds

I saw those but the way they are worded makes it appear that they are in direct response to some action that I have taken. In other words, a big use of the word "your" where "I" have done nothing other than login this morning.

12. Peter T Davis

Yea, those darned alerts, they're going to follow you home, break into your house when you're asleep at night and steal your coins. :troll:

definer and josh's coins like this.
  13. josh's coins

I have not gotten any alerts since I changed my alert preferences exactly as displayed above.

14. Peter T Davis

I know, all anyone has to do to not get them is turn them off.

15. krispy

krispy krispy

That's what I did, turned them off, like Josh shows above, and what it seems others also felt quickly compelled to do upon realising how these new features would hound you if not turned off. If only "off" were the default and opting in were the action one needed to take. Seems that's always an issue with online and digital subscriptions in which you are automatically signed up to accept the content alerts.

It seems there are only a limited number of five slots available in each of the 'Top Rated', 'Most popular' and 'Most recent' sliders on the Showcase page for viewing. Once a few pieces dominate that by ratings and popularity its going to fill up and the page won't (?) change much.

To view any other or older pieces bumped off the Showcase page will take some navigating sub tabs under the Showcase tab > Search Items or > New Items. It appears that once a lot more people upload there the Showcase will fill up with pages you can go through, like paging back through recent threads. It's just that the getting there and navigating past the initial Showcase popularity page will always be a necessity.

16. Peter T Davis

Well, that's all true Kris, but if you had notices turned on then you'd have no problem finding the new ones. ;)

17. krispy

krispy krispy

I suppose we'll have to see what the quality of the uploads to the Showcase are going forward to see whether it warrants the automated OCD-like alerts designed to nag us into returning constantly to see what's been posted. If the feature turns out to be interesting and regularly presents thoughtful or quality imagery, I imagine it will attract attention and subscribers to the alerts. I hope others will try playing with the new features and seeing what's possible within the parameters we have to use here.

18. josh's coins

I'm working on something special.

19. Peter T Davis

I agree, I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone will use them.

20. 19Lyds

Really?

21. krispy

krispy krispy

Not only do I have to keep checking out all the new uploads in Showcase, but the suspense you have me in now is killin' me! :wacky:

josh's coins likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted