How to test a possible ancient silver

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aaron Apfel, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Aaron Apfel

Aaron Apfel Active Member

Hi guys, I have several uncleaned coins that seem like they may be silver however they are just so black and dirty that I cannot tell. Will soaking in distilled water do the trick or should i try rubbing a bit of lemon juice on it so that I can know whether or not it's silver?

Thanks,

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I had nothing but bad results when I put lemon juice on some unclean ancient Roman coins 10+ years ago. From what I can recall, the lemon juice turned the coins white and made them look awfully unnatural. I believe they were bronze but one or two may have been silver as well. At any rate, the coins never recovered. I would stick with distilled water or an alternative method but I would avoid lemon juice at all costs.

John Anthony likes this.
  4. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

Weigh them and look them up in a Krause Catalog.

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

dsmith (go Tigers) has the right of it for starters. See if you can attribute what you have both with catalogs/on-line resources (wildwinds for one). Weight and measurements go a long way in identifying these coins as well. Also, try a magnet. If attracted to the magnet, it's not silver.

dsmith23 likes this.
  6. Aaron Apfel

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately some of these are not roman, could be Islamic for all i know, so its hard to get about researching them.

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Post images. Some here can help ID.

8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I agree with most here, its better to identify the coin. Any test for silver could be ruinous for copper, so just "testing" if its silver could be damaging the coin. Education and learning what the coin is FIRST, then seeing what the coin is made of, is the only proper way to go before cleaning it.

Frank Robinson, (a pretty respected dealer), once had a mystery Byzantine copper. He went up to Simon Bendall, (an expert in late Byzantine), and Mr. Bendall took one glance at it and told him the emperor and it was in fact silver. Frank cleaned it and found out it was indeed silver. That is the way to do it, with KNOWLEDGE first.

9. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

If you can't attribute any of the coins with the dirt on them, your first course of action should be soaking in distilled water, changing it every few days and very gentle brushing with a very soft toothbrush. You may also be able to loosen some of the encrustations by prying at them with a toothpick.

10. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

ultrasound cleaning is harmless IMHO.

11. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

what JA said, try the distilled water an toothbrush..maybe a bit of toothpick work as well...first. if you got it in an uncleaned lot, it not going to be silver probably. i have picked up silvered bronze uncleaned coin however.

12. Aaron Apfel

Thanks for your replies guys, I'll make sure to try ID the coin before doing anything else. For now I'll just continue to soak them in distilled water :)

13. yuri

yuri Member

Is Coke Cola not allowed for cleaning coins?

14. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Sure it is if your goal is to ruin a coin about as quickly as possible.

Coke has WAY too much acid for cleaning coins. Its uncontrollable, and will result 99% of the time either with no effect or serious damage.

When cleaning coins, always start out with the gentlest method, and move up in harsher methods as needed.

15. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Post some pics!:)

16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

It worries me when someone uses the words ancient and Krause in the same breath since it guarantees that the meaning of neither is known. The oldest Krause listing is about a thousand years after the newest ancient coin. There are very few genuine, official ancient coins made with the same design in the same size out of both silver and base metal so ID the coins first and clean accordingly. The same thing that cleans one metal can really harm another. Distilled water soaks should allow ID to the point that the next step can be decided upon.

Any question asked here without photos of the subject coin is not likely to get an answer of any value.

Bing likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted