How to tell the mint??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by James.R, Feb 3, 2020.

1. James.R

James.R Just Here

How do you tell where quarters were minted from 1965 - 67? I'm trying to fill my books and dont know which are which

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

All quarters for those years were minted in Philadelphia except for the SMS quarters. They were minted in San Francisco although they don't have a mint mark.

I_like_Morgans likes this.
  4. James.R

James.R Just Here

How can you tell which is from which mint?

5. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Unless the coins were in their original packaging you probably couldn't tell if they came from Philadelphia or San Francisco. If they were just removed from the packaging maybe they'd look like a higher MS grade than most circulation strikes.

James.R likes this.
  6. James.R

James.R Just Here

Wow. Interesting. Did quarters or other coins before 65 have mint Mark's? It seems like I've seen quarters with mint Mark's on the reverse, but I cant remember.. I have really bad memory..

7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

You REALLY need to buy a Red Book (Yeoman) and read some in it. One a couple of years old is fine since the prices are not realistic, but the information is excellent.

8. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

They had mint marks on the reverse near the bottom between the ribbon ends.

9. James.R

James.R Just Here

I have one and have read some of it.. not all tho.. obviously I guess... which section would it be in?

10. James.R

James.R Just Here

That's what I thought. That's probably where I seen them, was in the red book

11. James.R

James.R Just Here

I didn't know that those certain years didnt have mint marks though.. that's interesting. I wonder why they didn't put them on there?

12. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

Coinage of1965, 1966 or 1967 had no Mint mark. The nation was in the midst of a coinage shortage and a shift in composition from silver to copper-nickel clad; Mint marks were left off to discourage collectors from hoarding the coins. All of this information is in coin resource books like the Redbook.

coin dog likes this.
  13. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  14. Snowman

Snowman Senior Member

Here is a FYI of the mintages of the quarters 65,66,67 for the 3 mints Phil, Denver and SF. Most people like to say that Denver and San Fran mints didn't make any coins at the time and just sat idle which isn't true. They were busy too but unfortunately no one can tell which coins where made at the 3 mints during the year. Too get more complicated - I think that most of the 65's were made in the beginning of 66 and the 1966's were made in the later part of the year. There was a good story on NGC website about this years ago.

I obtained a special book for coins but now I cant find it but I took pictures. You can see the other years too. Snowman

Attached Files:

Mike185, James.R and -jeffB like this.
  15. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Wild guess, The Washington Quarter section...

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

furham's answer was wrong, snowman shows the actual mintages produced at each mint, but there is no way to tell which mint produced any given coin, except for the SMS coins which were made in San Francisco.

Lawtoad likes this.
  17. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

I got my information from the NGC Coin Explorer that is evidently incorrect. It states they were all made in Philadelphia.

18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

OK, it's not your fault then, NGC got it wrong.

furham likes this.
  19. Kentucky

...and how can you tell the SMS coins?

20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

carnac-tablet.png

CoinCorgi, furham and Kentucky like this.
  21. Kentucky

CoinCorgi likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted