How to tell the different from SMS to Business Strike ???

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by redcent230, Sep 15, 2016.

1. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how to tell the different from SMS and Business Strike on the coin ?? Example the Kennedy Half 1965-1967 date.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. vintagemintage

vintagemintage Well-Known Member

Interesting question, posting to follow this thread. I've asked a few dealers and was told only that you can tell by the coins surfaces... but if you've got a prooflike business strike...?

4. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

The only that I can tell easily is the 67 nickel if I found it in circulation. It has a new reverse hub that's not on the circulation strikes. Otherwise, the surfaces of the SMS strikes are generally sharper than the business strikes.

5. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

But not always and that is the reason I am asking this question. I see many are selling on eBay and they are selling for money than the SMS

6. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

The simple answer, sometimes you can’t. But don’t feel bad because sometimes PCGS and NGC can’t either.

Example one: A collector that participates on these boards, “He who shall not be named” (unless he wants to be) picked up a 1966 PCGS SP66 Kennedy half dollar for a reasonable amount discovered that it happened to be a DDO-034 once James Wiles examined the coin (which happens to being a business strike variety), sent the coin back to PCGS along with the paperwork from James Wiles and now the coin sets in a PCGS MS66 holder.

Example two: I have a NGC slab 1966 MS67 FS – 13.8 Kennedy half dollar (supposedly the DDO-005 business strike variety) but in reality the coin is the SMS DDO-013 or new number FS-103.

Example three: We sent in two 1965 Kennedy half dollars still in US Mint cellophane to PCGS for grading, both coins had major rotation of the dies which can be found in the 1965 Special Mint Sets. PCGS disagreed with us that these were SMS issued coins and slabbed them as a MS65 and MS66. Please bear in mind that the US Mint only issued SMS sets in 1965 so the fact that the coins were still in the cellophane should have been a “light bulb” moment for PCGS that they were indeed SMS coins and should have been slabbed as such.

I am sure other collectors have many different stories to tell also but remember that MS coins usually command higher prices than their SMS counterparts so if in doubt error on the side of caution and treat them as SMS (less chance of getting hurt).

A few things that I look at on 1965 – 1967 Kennedy half dollars:
    1. If it is a CAM or DCAM then that is a no brainer.
    2. Are the fields / device smooth mirrors or just good luster?
    3. How are the rims?
    4. On the reverse, how is the area where the shield meeting the tail feathers? Is it mushy? If mushy, lean towards business strikes.
    5. On the reverse, how is the banner with E PLURIBUS UNUM, again if mushy lean towards business strikes.
    Just my 4 bits on the subject,
    Caleb

7. Thank You Caleb. That is the most succinct and viable explanation I have heard. I have an amazing 1966 Kennedy half that I just sent to PCGS. It does not exhibit the fields, cameos, or pronounced hair the SP SMS coins do, but has amazing MS68 colors. It appears to be a MS 67 in business strike, with a couple of small-trivial scratches on the surfaces. I am anxious to see what PCGS grades it at. Brian-Idahosparkie

8. Rondayvous

Rondayvous New Member

I just sent PCGS a 1965 out of a BU roll of halves and had it returned as a SMS, don't know what to do. Do any of the SMS halves have gem state luster in the fields?

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  9. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

gotpics.gif gotpics.gif gotpics.gif

paddyman98 likes this.
  10. Rondayvous

Rondayvous New Member

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

When you do start a fresh new thread. This thread is from 2016 and most of the members that posted are no longer on CoinTalk. Include pictures.

Welcome to CoinTalk

12. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The 1965 sets have to be the worst. I would challenge many experts to pick out many of those coins, once they are out of mint holder. The 1966 and '67 coins are more like Proof coins.

When I was kid collector in 1965, I asked the counter guy at Gimbels coin department how best to preserve my 1965 SMS set. This was the answer. He told me that if I cut the coins out and put them in a Capital Plastics Proof set holder that no one could say for sure if they were SMS coins.

1965 SMS Set Oa.jpg 1965 SMS Set R.jpg

LakeEffect likes this.
  13. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Good advice!

14. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

From what I remember, the dies weren't much different. The dies that are filled with rough surface polishing and are less often dished. There is probably a better word but flatter in appearance are usually the Bus. strikes.
    Most Bus. strikes are probably culls by now.

Draft saved Draft deleted