Featured How to tell if your 1909 S. V.D.B is real

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by blue_oxen, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Good advice.

Best wishes,
    Peter Anthony

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Thanks for the lessons.
    It should help me in the long run.

4. Boboe

Boboe New Member

May be too late for me

As a frequent buyer of coins on ebay, I am slowly finding out that I have learned some very expensive lessons.

1. I caught an ebayer selling a fake die 2 1922 no D in the final minutes of the auction. I noticed the seller bought it as a fake just a week prior. He put a fake slab on it and put it up for sale. Not sure what happened to the poor sole that won it for $1100.

2. Ebay informed me, after I won an 1877 IH that it might be fake and sure enough it was. Hoping my refund clears on that one.

3. And now after reading this thread, I'm pretty sure my 1909 S VDB has issues.

What really amazes me is that ripping people off is a normal course of action for this hobby and breaking the law seems to be widely acceptable. A simple, "Well I thought it was real" seems to be an acceptable excuse for stealing.

As advocates for this hobby, what are we doing to keep this type of activity from diluting and ruining what I used to think was a very rewarding hobby.

Shouldn’t sellers of bad coins be prosecuted by the law? Are there enforcable penalties other than ebay taking away their existing account?

5. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

The 1909 S VDB is the perfect coin to buy in a slab. I love raw coins, I like to fill holes in albums, I love the feel of them in my (gloved) hand, I like to stack them. I think about who touched the coin 100 yrs ago.

But for a key date like this that is so often faked, you really are protecting yourself by purchasing one in a slab from one of the major TPGs.
    If you are one of those who absolutely needs to fill that hole, buy a slabbed one and crack it out.

6. Bruce

Bruce Junior Member

Great information provided by all... Thank you.

7. richarrb

richarrb Junior Member

I was looking into buying a 1909s vdb, did a quick advanced search here and came acroos this thread, very infomative, sorry to bring back an old thread but this helped me from buying a very suspect coin.

8. justndav76

justndav76 Member

No doubt about it that this is the coin to buy in a slab. What concerns me is, as others have pointed out, are these fake slabs turning up. It's just sad that this wonderful hobby is dealing with so many problems due to the fakes from Asia and scum bags re slabbing coins with fake labels/grades. I hope it doesn't end up going the way of "graded" baseball cards. Seems like the grading of sports cards is what started the downfall of that hobby. At least with classic coins we have silver which always carries value.

9. blue_oxen

blue_oxen Junior Member

10. CoinloverxXx2

CoinloverxXx2 New Member

I have seen a lot of coins through my lifetime, and I have to say, that those are the fakest coins I have ever seen in my life.

11. Skyler

Skyler New Member

??

12. Joe Stoli

Joe Stoli New Member

Progressive National Coin Co

Does anyone have info on Progressive National Coin Company, and how they grade?

13. 10rightchoice

10rightchoice New Member

Notice the rim of this coin at the top on obverse. It indicates double or off center strike if the picture is
    accurate.
    Now the 1 is hit with the second strike and clipped at the top.
    The 9's are doubled and deformed.
    The 1 I have seen many times in Mint Errors and is Mistaken for a Fake. In all due appearance it is. It is
    my opinion that fakes are only determined by watching someone mint a coin who doesn't have the authority
    to do so!!! The 1955 Lincoln Double Die could have gone through the same scrutiny. Likely discovered
    by a trusted source. The Liberty on this Coin indicates machine Doubling as well. I did not see this coin
    minted , so I cannot discount what this person is saying about this coin. I hate to see a witch hunt for
    perfectly good coins begin is all I will finally comment on.

14. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

Grave digging on the first post, huh? :D Welcome to CT.

15. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Zzzzombie thread!

16. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Regaurdless, this is still a good thread top keep handy. The information is still valid.

17. blue_oxen

blue_oxen Junior Member

Wow I have not been to this site in a long time. Got an email alert and if brought me back. I'm glad he was Grave digging loots of good stuff on cointalk.

18. WeirdFishes

WeirdFishes Active Member

Another dead give away would be if the obverse portrait shows Lincoln wearing a top hat.

Grave robbing is bad. Unless it's the tomb of King Tut. All bets are off once you have been dead for at least 1000 years (or if you have a tomb full of gold).

19. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

rim's know Wheat Cent better than most of us!:yes:!
    This here is worth reviewing before you buy any Raw 1909-S VDB
    :thumb:

20. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I may know wheat cents, but I really doubt I would buy a raw 1909-S VDB. There are just way too many fakes out there - and some of them are good fakes.

21. 10rightchoice

10rightchoice New Member

Wasn't aware of past issues not presenting themselves in the present.

:hail:

Draft saved Draft deleted