How to tell if this is a real zinc cent?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dtort, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Dtort

Dtort Active Member

I was wondering about that myself, since my scale only differentiates to .1 gram, and I don't know what the scale's margin of error is. The copper composition of the 2.5 gram cent is 2.5%, or .0625 g, which my scale probably rounds up to .1. But between that and the tolerances you mention, it's by no means certain. That's why I used the word "Likely". The weight is suggestive, but not certain. I suppose I can scrape off a bit and see if its zinc all the way down, but I really don't want to damage the coin, since if its a real error, its probably worth more than a regular 1995-d.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

What is the reported accuracy of the scale? Just because it displays 0.1g doesn't mean accurate to 0.05g.

Has the scale been appropriately calibrated? How recently?

The specification for the coin is +/- 0.13g and that is only 95% of the time.

So a weight of 2.4g tells you nothing.

Heavymetal likes this.
  4. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

If you can melt it with a propane torch, it's almost certainly zinc.
    welder.png
    Cal

5. Dtort

Dtort Active Member

Right. All these considerations leave me where I started - wondering whether this is a genuine error coin or someone's creation.

6. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

@Randy Abercrombie and @Conder101 all expressed the opinion that it's not genuine. You are sure it is.

At this point, it's time to put your $60 on the table. ANACS will charge $18 + 9 + $24 shipping, you'll pay $5 or $10 to ship it to them. For that you'll get confirmation it's genuine or fake.

FWIW, the last sales of certified, unplated planchets on fleaBay were $56, $100, $150, $150, $100, and $78.77 (takes us back to August).

Edit: removed @TypeCoin971793

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  7. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I never said that. I can’t tell from the pics. I was giving a pointer of what to look for on a genuine error.

Burton Strauss III likes this.
  8. Dtort

Dtort Active Member

I'm not SURE of anything, just that an intriguing item showed up in a lot of coins. I'm not losing sleep over it, but it IS interesting...following the clues that Randy Avercrombie and Condor101 provided gives me a mixed bag of results. The coin is the exact same size as a normal cent (arguing against the hammer whack). As for Condor101's ideas, the coin is more lustrous than in the picture BUT it isn't dark - and that's suspicious. Anyway, I probably WILL submit it sometime, but during one of the "grade 10 coins" specials to minimize the cost should it be a fake.
    Thanks to everyone for the input!

9. Dtort

Dtort Active Member

Winner, winner, chicken dinner, @Conder101! Sent this cent off as part of an ANACS special and they confirmed that it was plated post mint. (I may carefully scratch down and see if the copper layer is still there.)

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Did Anacs indicate if they used a XRF device ? I also suspect they are correct.
    Jim

11. Dtort

Dtort Active Member

Don't know. The coin was in a body bag, and the paperwork just said "altered surfaces. Replaced with zinc outside the mint."

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted