how to tell if something is uncirculated?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by enochian, Aug 20, 2012.

1. enochian

enochian silver eater

i see alot of stuff listed as uncirculated how can you realy tell that some one just didnt find a good circulated coin

I got a p&d 1999 uncirculated quater set for my wife a couple weeks ago the p's are great the d's are a different story one of them is brownish and another half the coin has a different color and they all just look dirty only paid 2.50 a piece for the sets so im not worried just wondering if theres a way to tell for future buys

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Really, the only way to tell if they are never circulated is to buy them from the mint in OGP

Uncirculated in the majority of our terminology is part of the grade also known as mint state.

4. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

I would agree with that, the only way to truely tell a coin has not been circulated is buy it from the mint. Mint state coins are those that are in the same condition the coin was in when it left the meant but you never truly know if it was ever spent or placed into general circulation and made it into a coin book early on.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There is one and only one thing that determines if a coin is uncirculated - wear. If the coin has no wear then it is uncirculated.

It doesn't matter one bit if you get the coin from the guy across the street, directly from the mint, in change at the local grocery store, or anyplace else - as long as the coin has no wear then it is uncirculated. Period, end of story.

6. TsutoyaRei

TsutoyaRei New Member

Agree with this.

7. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

This is true. Absence or presence of wear determines if a coin is uncirculated or circulated. The source has nothing to do with the condition.

Draft saved Draft deleted