How To Tell If Proof?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by littlehugger, Feb 26, 2015.

1. littlehugger

littlehugger Active Member

I bought a 1936 year set off of Ebay a year or two ago, as it was a great price and the coins looked great. Well, the WL half is absolutely gorgeous. Probably the finest I have seen. I suspect it is a proof.
    Unfortunately, I am currently bed-ridden, so I cannot get photos, but, is there any way to tell?
    Any clues out there?
    Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The clue lies in the photos. Sorry you're infirmed my friend, but we will need images to determine whether or not your coins are proof or circulation strikes.

4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Well, first of all, the coin should be completely struck. Look carefully at Liberty's left hand and skirt lines on the obverse, and the high points of the eagle's breast feathers on the reverse.

If your coin is fully struck, look for extremely square rims as compared to business strike coins.

These things, along with a "prooflike," reflective surface, are all good indicators that you have a proof piece on your hands.

5. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

This may sound like a stupid question, but does it have a mint mark? Only the Philadelphia mint produced proofs in 1936, but other proof like examples are known from the Denver and San Francisco mints.

This isn't the best image ever, but this is my proof 36. Notice how all of the details are full and the rims are nicely sharp and squared. image.jpg

rzage likes this.
  6. Paul M.

Lol, good catch on the mint mark. I forgot to even note that. :)

That reminds me, you should also look at the stars on the cape on the obverse. Those tend to be a little soft on circulation strikes sometimes.

PS Nice coin, @Kirkuleez! Looks like it might have a bit of cameo to it. You should post the reverse, too. :)

7. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

It has a decent cameo on the obverse, but not on the reverse. Sorry I can't seem to locate a reverse image. :(

8. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Is it a cape or is she draped in the American Flag?

9. Paul M.

Eh, whatever. :) Some sources say "American flag;" some sources say "cape." PCGS CoinFacts says cape, quoting Q. David Bowers; Wikipedia says "flag," quoting Breen.

The point is, everybody knows what I was referring to. :)

10. littlehugger

Its a 1936 Philadelphia. It matches the factors given by those replying to me here. It looks much like the one posted, only no toning. Its a bright, white silver.
    Its a matched set, in a box, with a little certificate giving highlights of the year 1936. Its just that all the coins are in exceptional condition, except the cent, which is bright red, but has a spot on the reverse.
    Each coin is in a capsule and the cardboard cutouts are sized to hold the encapsulated coins.
    All are Philadelphia.
    It does not have the appearance of age, but someone went to a lot of trouble to locate a matching set of high grade coins.

11. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I might sound like a jerk, but what it reads to me is like a set of polished business strike coins sold on the secondary market to non-coin collectors.

12. littlehugger

No signs of polishing.
    I think the original purchaser bought one of those heavily worn birth year sets you see in the back of a magazine, then replaced them with high grade coins.
    I will try to post pics later today

Draft saved Draft deleted