how to tell a 1990 s penny with no s ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jesse P, Jan 18, 2010.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

@Anna Mullins- your coin is a normal business strike cent struck at Philadelphia, not a proof coin struck at San Francisco.

A proof coin (struck on special blanks with specially prepared dies) has a totally different appearance.

You see, the 1990 "no S" coins that are worth something are all proofs. Proofs were all struck at San Francisco, and should have gotten the "S" mintmark below the date, but some did not. That's where the error comes in.

But a regular business strike coin does not have an "S" mintmark at all in the first place. Business strikes were made at Philadelphia (or at Denver with the "D" mintmark) - not San Francisco.

It comes down to being able to recognize a proof coin. I can assure you that the coin you posted in that link is not one. It's a regular business strike 1990 cent struck at Philly, not a proof cent struck at San Fran with an accidentally missing mintmark.

Don't feel bad, though- this is a confusing distinction to the uninitiated. It trips up lots of folks.

[​IMG]
    Source link for image

Had your coin been a proof, it would have an extremely squared off rim and deeply mirrored surfaces with frosty "cameo" contrast on the portrait.

Once you've seen a proof and a regular business side by side, the difference is usually quite obvious (on these modern coins, anyway). Even moreso than the picture above indicates.

Mernskeeter, markr and paddyman98 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Anna Mullins

Anna Mullins New Member

Thank you. I definitely appreciate the quick answer and that you were nice about it. I wasn't sure if it was just something my dad had for my birth year, his lucky lottery penny, or for a reason of value, but had it been a proof I don't believe I'd have sold or cared the value anyway, sentimental and all. But I appreciate it so much! Y'all have a great day.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. Jennifer Harris

Jennifer Harris New Member

Exactly you are knew just like me we are not professionals like these people that have been doing coin collecting for years.I am sure they didnt get it right on the first try neither.This is suppose to be a community forum for help not for negative comments.It ruins your joy for coun collecting.There is no dumb quesgtion if u dont know the answer and I dont want to be apart of unfriendly people that are suppose to help instead critize.

5. AnonymousCoinCollector

AnonymousCoinCollector Reintroduce silver coins to circulation!

Leave then. You will not be missed.

Truly sick of you snowflake newbies that INSIST you have some magic jackpot coin, and then get offended when told you don't. There are like 3 of these threads going on right now and personally I blame the moderation on this board.
    How many more plated penny threads will you allow? Close these threads or delete them.

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

That's quite a first post. I hope you hang out here a while before you form an opinion of the site. You picked a thread that's 8 years old to reply to. That makes it really tough to understand everything that's going on. There are a lot of good folks here that will help. Don't let an argument between others mess with your fun.
    Welcome to CT.

7. Jeffrey Dean

Jeffrey Dean New Member

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You got that part right. Who said they didn't?

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

No one has said in this thread that they do not exist. The closest was back on the first page, on Jan 18 of 2010

"It, they could not and will not be "no "S" proof cents from 1990."

and that quote was in reference to someone who had 20 1990 cents with no mintmark that he had gotten in pocket change.

10. Jeffrey Dean

Jeffrey Dean New Member

Here are just a sample of the posts that say (or imply) that a proof always has an "s" on them:

First Reply:
    The 1990 S penny is a Proof. Normally not in circulation except for the ones from a robbery or a someone in a family spending what they shouldn't. A proof coin appears to be like a Mirror. Really, really shinny. There is no S or D or anything on a Phily Minted Penny. The others have a D for Denver and if there was an S, it would look extensively more shinning than others.

SEVERAL POSTS DOWN:
    It, they could not and will not be "no "S" proof cents from 1990.

THE VERY NEXT POST:
    (Implies they must be Philadelphia if they have no mint mark)
    Philadelphia made 6,851,765,000 of them that year and none of them had a mint mark. In fact, no cent from Philadelphia has or had a mint mark.

On page 2 someone asked what the value of a proof coin with no s is and the very next reply said it was "just a normal coin." (Because it didn't have an s)

"Question:
    Hello everyone, I'm new here, I want to know if you have any value a coin "1990 no s" because I have 2 in good condition, can someone please explain.

Reply:
    "Just a normal cent, read the old posts in this thread they explain the difference."

On the same page someone told the person to "stop searching" for proof coins with "no s." (Implying they don't exist).

I didn't read the entire thread but there were people insulting the original poster for even asking how to determine a proof that has no "s."

It was obvious to me there are a lot of so called "experts" here who don't seem to know what they are talking about.

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

So at this point you have told the folks here to shut up and that they don't know what they are talking about. Great way for a new member to start.
    You might want to hang out here for a while before trying to police the site.

12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Kripes! Is this thing still on? If it don't have an 's' it don't have a bloody 's'.........

ldhair likes this.
  13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It's still going on because if you read back through the thread you will find that a half dozen or so different people have come into the thread at various time asking the same question all over again rather than reading the earlier posts in the thread. And so the explanations, and arguments, start all over again.

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

As I said that was in response to the OP's original posters comment that he had 20 uncirculated pieces. If they are uncirculated then they "could not and will not be no "S" proof cents from 1990" so the post was correct.

This was NOT the very next post, it was in reply to the "very next post" which was by someone else asking about a 1990 cent with no mintmark, and that post was made 10 DAYS after the "It, they could not and will not be "no "S" proof cents from 1990." post

At this point NONE of the posts were really responding to the OP, in fact the post after the "Philadelphia made 6,851,765,000" post was made 5 YEARS later.

If you had read the whole thread you would have found that it encompasses something like six different people coming into the thread and asking the same questions. And frankly I don't see much if any incorrect information being presented in the thread. "experts" or not.

15. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Edited

Brilliant case, Ms. Einstein! Now take a nice long look in the mirror as everything you spewed also applies perfectly to you, especially considering this pile-o-dung was your first post.

Adios.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2018
    Kylie Jackson likes this.
  16. geopixar

geopixar New Member

IMG_20190421_135450.jpg IMG_20190421_135357.jpg hi guys this is not a proof yes?

17. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Definitely not a proof.

18. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

19. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Ok, are we on a "here we go again" trip down memory lane?

20. Levi durgan

Levi durgan New Member

[​IMG] is this the no s coin

21. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

This is not your thread, make your own

Draft saved Draft deleted